Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

Robin

**Frequently Asked Questions.**
_Compiled list of all your most popular questions._

**Q: I receive [insert runtime/automation error here] when I try and run the engine.**

A: If it mentions a .dll or a .ocx file or anything about 'ActiveX' then you've installed the library files wrong. If mentions an automation error then you either have dodgy drivers or, if you get it running the client, your might not have a working sound card at all. If it mentions a file path then you haven't extracted Origins properly. In both cases you need to go read the installation instructions on the download page. If it's an actual RTE in the source code then go post a question thread and take a screenshot of the error and post the line it errors on. That's the line which is highlighted yellow.

**Q: All the images aren't lined up and some things are really big. Everything is positioned differently from in the screenshots.**

A: Set your DPI to 100%.

**Q: I get 'Address already in use' as an error.**

A: Close the server you already have running. If you're not running a server (please check your processes first) then simply change the port on the game.

**Q: How do I make myself an admin?**

A: Go to the server, right click your name in the player list and choose 'Make admin'.

**Q: How do I open the admin panel?**

A: Either type '/admin' in the chat or press 'Insert'.

**Q: What are the slash commands?**

A: /help, /info, /who, /fps, /fpslock, /stats, /party, /join, /leave, /admin, /kick, /loc, /warpmeto, /warptome, /warpto, /setsprite, /mapreport, /respawn, /motd, /banlist, /ban, /edititem, /editanimation, /editnpc, /editresource, /editshop, /editspell, /editmap, /setaccess, /destroybanlist, /debug

**Q: How do I change map sizes?**

A: Origins allows you to have each map a different size. Change it through 'MapEditor -> Properties -> MapX and MapY'.

**Q: How do I make character sprites bigger?**

A: Simply make them bigger in the sprite sheet. Origins will automatically register the new size and render them properly.

**Q: I found [insert tutorial here] and it doesn't work with Origins. Why not?**

A: Anything written for Total Eclipse, Eclipse Evolution or Eclipse Stable will not work with Origins. Origins is a completely new engine. They bear no similarities at all. Either find an equivalent tutorial for Origins or make do without.

**Q: I found [insert tutorial here] which is for the [insert version here] of Origins. Will it work with the latest version of Origins?**

A: Possibly. Depends entirely on what the tutorial is changing. Even if it doesn't work the chances are it'll require only a small change to work in the latest version. Either do this yourself or request the mod author to update his tutorial to the latest version.

**Q: How do I add more graphics?**

A: Origins reads all graphics located in the directories on load. If you want to use a tileset simply copy & paste it in to the /tilesets/ folder and name it to match the rest of them in ascending order. As Origins counts the graphics as it loads them, if you miss a number then all subsequent graphics won't be loaded at all.

**Q: In the item graphics you have two sprites. Why is that?**

A: The pink/green background is the masked item. This will appear on the map and the pink/green will be replaced with transparency. The black background one is the sprite that will appear in your inventory, bank, shop etc. The black will not be replaced with transparency, so change it to match the colour of your GUI.

**Q: How do I place shops or banks?**

A: Map attribute.

**Q: Where can I add NPCs to my map?**

A: 'Map Editor -> Map Properties -> Npcs'.