Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tales of Pentias Recruiting

Jeff

Seeing as My old topic got deleted, I have made a new one and provided the Wip post conveniently within this spoiler:
http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,66694.0.html

:bstar:NOTE: a lot of this information is outdated, so check my WIP for more info. :bstar:

>! Hello, I'm Jeff.  Lots of you probably have seen me post around.  Maybe a few of you have seen my tileset show off topic.  Well, I think the best way to make a nice tileset, is make a game to go with it!  I have been brewing up an idea for several weeks, and I think it will be something that I will finish.  It has a short little storyline, but I will add lots of lore and mythology to make it more immersive.  The final version of this game will have COMPLETELY custom graphics(hopefully done by me and a spriter, but if I can't master photoshop then the GUI etc will probably be done by someone else).  I aim to get a coder on the team, but right now I'm alone in this project.  Will be using EO btw.
>! **–Storyline--**

>! In the great forest, the kingdom of Gunderrath had been slowly weakening for the past 100 years.  Now, the former counts take control of their neighboring area.  In Kief, the capital, the king rules the surrounding country.  In small villages local leaders have been appointed.  This system was working well until only very recently.
>!   In the Mines of Gardenvale, they started mining as much as they could for Gardenvale could not farm because of their poor soil and only had the mines as a resource as they were just outside the great forest.  The Gardenvale mines were being very successful however, and many people came to seek a better life.  This led to an ever expanding cycle, which all came to no good.
>!   One day, in the deepest shaft of the deepest cavern, someone struck one strike too many.  A massive cave in occured, but miraculously no one was hurt.  Until demons started coming out of it.
>!   The people of Gardenvale had dug all the way too hell, and they didn't know what it was at first.  They just thought it was a large cavern of lava, so they closed the shaft so no one fell into the lava and mined elsewhere.  This was fine for sixth months, and then the inhabitants of the fire plane found that they could get to the surface.
>!   For the past millenias, Eylos(the organized part of hell consisting of the plane of creation and the kingdom of shadows) had been growing at an alarming rate.  The population was too dense.  They needed more land.  Naturally, when they found there was a hole leading to a new cave system, they explored it.  What they found, they never expected.
>!   There had been old legends of the five worlds, but not a single demon in Eylos believed them.  They came to the cave system and claimed it.  They killed all the humans in it, and finally went to see what it was like outside.  The light was very bright, and the paticular demons(a group of Dark attentuators and prelates) were not blinded by the light.  They went back to eylos to get the Flame guards and Netherblades who were more accustomed to the light.
  Meanwhile, in Gardenvale they requested help from Kief, and got a group of knights to travel into the caverns.  They never came back, and the bodies were found charred.  Next thing the people of Gardenvale did was put a 6 sheets of 400 pound steel over the shaft that the demons came out of.  Naturally, the fire plane had some massive demons who simpley pushed the steel aside.  At this point, many citizens of Gardenvale moved away.  Gardenvale decided it would have to make a stand at the city its self.
>!   Hundreds of demons swarmed out of the fire plane, and came charging at Gardenvale.  The people of Gardenvale had prepared though.  The demons met with 200 Kiefan soldiers, over 100 Militia members or free lance knights, and 60 mercenaries.  It was a battle deemed epic before it began.
>!   The battle lasted 3 days, and there was one particular group of mercenaries that stood out:  The knights of Gilock.  The knights of Gilock were expert soldiers from, well, Gillock.  They wielded elven weapons and armor, which was all heavily enchanted.  They were the true reason the battle was won, even though there were only 18 of them.
  The citizens of Gardenvale feasted that night, for that was a hard battle to be won.  Now comes the time of heroes, the angels from the 1st world descended into the city and said this:
  "Now is a time we understand your utter need for sympathy.  We once fought a war with the hellspawn of eylos, and we understand how to slay the vile pillars of hell.  Aim for the hearts, and you shall find victory over all injustice they do to you.  We will help you with a single something and the something is this:  All heros who die preparing to fight or fighting the hellspawn of Eylos will be granted the gift of reincarnation; we will bring them back to the temple in Kief and restore the harmony of soul and body."
  This is where you stand, young adventurer.  Go and rid the Great forest and all of Gunderrath of the great terror that is Hell.
>! Like all the cheese?  ;D
>! **–World--(includes maps)**
>! >! The world map is not yet done, though It will be soon.  There is a lot more to this game's world then just a map however.  There are 5 kingdoms, or worlds depending how you look at it.  On the top there is Kirleyos, the home of the sky people.  Kirleyos is on a translucent platform that will shine in the sun.  Below Kirleyos is Savathas.  There are legends of the "wise people of Savathas" but it is not known that this means.  Savathas is built on clouds.  Below that Is Gunderrath, the middle kingdom.  This is very similar to earth.  Below that is Felthas, the land of Caves.  Below even that is Eylos; the fire plane.  Together, these 5 kingdoms are called Pentias.  Will have map of this soon too.
>! **Map of Gunderrath**:
>! ![](http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/2036/worldmaplbl.png)
>! **Dungeon Info**
>! >! I plan on having quite a few dungeons in Tales of Pentias.  The easiest dungeon will be the Kiefan Sewers.  They will have standard sewer enemies, like rats, sewer slime, and amphibious Lizard like animals(more info to be released when Beastiary is out). 
  There are 2 dungeons of the next easiest difficulty: Ravensbeake catacombs, which are accessed through the sewers and are under Ravensbeake College.  In those Catacombs, there will be many implike creatures, slimes, rats, giant spiders, and a couple magical creatures which will be bosses and subbosses.  This dungeon will have many riddles and puzzles in it.  Another dungeon of equal difficulty to the one in ravensbeake is the Vindar Druid temple, on the road between Gilock and Kief.  On the match it is the patch of especially dense forest.  It will contain treants, druids, and wild animals such as boars and bears.  This dungeon will have a few puzzles in it, though not as much as the Ravensbeake Catacombs.
  The dungeon of next harder difficulty is the Ruins of old Gilock.  It will have a lot of puzzles, riddles, and secret rooms.  It will also have powerful enemies however, like ghosts, skeletons, wild animals, and a wide assortment of magical creatures like the Trollboar.
  There are two dungeons of the next difficulty level; Fort Garloy in the Golden hills south east of Oakhurst and the Bluerock Cavern.  Fort Garloy is unchartable on any map due to a powerful enchantment cast on it a long time ago.  This makes half the difficulty of the dungeon finding it and getting to it.  It is said to be the site of an ancient siege, and that now the warriors of that battle are forever in the fortress fighting eachother.  The wild animals nearby have also likely went into the fort.  The bluerock cavern is a cavern accessible by casting a powerful spell (which is purchasable in the Ravensbeake academy) on the bluerock shrine.  Then it is said stair will ascend into "an abyss of thousands of magical furies; ghosts, dragons, and trolls galore".
  There are more dungeons than this (including the entrance to hell in the Caverns of Fire) but many of those are to be discovered in-game with questbooks or stories people tell you.
>! **–Classes--**
>! >! I have thought out some classes, though I only have the raw basics that are likely to change a bit over the next week.  I predict full class descriptions in 1 week.
>! Guardian- High endurance/health, wears heavy armor, uses spears.
Samurai-High strength, uses swords, can use special skills(kentai).
Ninja-High agility, can dual wield swords, wears light armor, can use kentai.
Cleric-Magically skilled, wears light armor, uses blunt weapons.
Archer-High Dexterity, wears light armor, uses bows.
Druid-Does nature magic, wears robes, uses blunt weapons.
Monk-Extraordinarily talented magically, wears robes, does not wield weapons.
(Blunt weapons in this game are maces, clubs, hammers, and axes.)
>! **–Races--**
>! >! War of the Fire Plane will have several sentient races, though Human is the only playable race.
>! Human-Normal human that is seen every day in real life.  Nothing special, except of course they can cast magic spells if they're skilled enough.
>! Elf-Elves went extinct long ago, but they have left many clues on how they lived through out the world.  They lived in Gunderrath.  They built many old cities, though most are destroyed now.  The most notable of these ruins is Old Gilock.
>! Kivilie-The Kivilie were the first inhabitants of Pentias.  They were around seven feet, and made weapons out of some unknown material.  These weapons were a dark brown.  The Kivilie have not left any clues in Gunderrath except their scattered weapons and armors.
>! Dwarves-The Dwarves are the inhabitants of Felthas, alongside Gnomes and Trolls.  The Dwarves are master smiths, and they are also miners.  They will not attack humans, unless the human is foolish enough to attack the dwarves first.  The Dwarves were the creators of the creatively named "Dwarven Chariot" which is a chariot that does not need horses and is very fast.  Dwarves are slightly shorter than humans, but they are a lot stouter on average.
>! Gnomes- Gnomes are expert alchemists, and they are very wise.  They know how to use the peculiar things, like the breath of fishes, the falling of a leaf, and the green mold of an orange to make wondrous things, like unbreakable rope.  They are very short, and generally fat.
>! Trolls- Trolls are foolish ones that run around Felthas.  They have no particular skills and are blind.  They maneuver through sense of smell.  Trolls are very hairy, and short.  They also lean forward a bit and sometimes walk on all fours.
>! Sky People- Extremely little is known about the sky people, but it is known that they were the ones that sealed the All Devourers in Eylos so long ago.  They were also the crafters of magic.
>! Demons- Demons are the main inhabitants of eylos.  There skin is usually blue.  Demons can be of many shapes in size, but all varieties of demons have 2 legs and 2 arms.  Demons are very strong physically, and also can be skilled magically.  This however has a trade off, as no demon can be wise, that is only a power of an all devourer.
>! **–Quests--**
>! >! There will be 3 types of quests in this game.  There will be from book quests, common quests, and command quests.
>! Book Quests: there will be many books in Tales of Pentias.  one of these kinds will be 'quests books'.  Quest books are books that have a story that mentions locations.  They will hint at what kind of monsters you will face, and what you must do to activate the quest.  Most activations will be: going on to a certain tile at a certain time, casting a certain spell at the right place, or using a certain key(which the book mentions how to find).  Then once you are in the questing area, you will use the tips from the quest book to help you reach the prize you deserve from doing the quest.  All book quests will be written by Thorn.
>! Common Quests:  Whenever you talk to someone, there will be maybe a… 10%(?) chance of them giving you a quest.  The quest will very depending on who it is, but if its an Alchemist for example, they may give you a quest in which you gather certain quantities of herbs and they give you some gold and a special potion.  Or maybe it'll be a quest for the father of a now dead knight, who will have you gather a special family heirloom from that knight and let you take everything the knight has and pay you a little bit as a reward.  It really could be anything, and I plan on having each person switch between giving you at least 3 different quests.
>! Story Quests:  I plan on having story quests as well.  Story Quests will be linear, but I plan on making them so that no player's storyline will be exactly the same as a different player's.  Oh, and story quests will be chains of 3 quests, or no more than 7.  They will be something like this:  Headmaster of the Ravensbeake wizarding academy asks you to recover a scroll for the divination teacher at the school.  You retrieve the scroll, and then the divination teacher sees that some epic rogue bandit should be rising up.  You go and kill the bandit, and then the headmaster finds out that the bandit was actually a zombie, and you finish off the chain of quests by killing a necromancer and taking his powerfully enchanted ring.  Of course, with my idea that every storyline will be different, the same starting point of the story for another player could be totally different, and it could be a griffin controlled by a wild beastmaster instead.
>! that wraps up this section :D
>! Mockup: here is an early mockup, the sprite is DEFINITELY not going to be used, and the tiles are very likely to change slightly. 
>! >! ![](http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9379/mockup2.png)
>! THESE ARE OUTDATED.  CHECK REAL WIP POST FOR UP TO DATE MOCKUP.
>! and some other tiles: ![](http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8750/pentiasmockup.png)
>! edited house tiles, OUTDATED CLIFF TILES: ![](http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1170/tpmockup.png)
>! revamped cliff tiles:
![](http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5180/topcliffsramp.png)
>! Please give advice!!!
>! Well, thats about it.  Hope you enjoy!
>! note:find more info on the tileset [here](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,66047.0.html) (it says emberseal tiles because that was the game they were GOING to be for but Urame seems a lot less interested in it now and I don't feel like making a tileset for a game that might not finish)
>! If you want to join the team, Please view this [thread](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,66907.0.html)
>! **news**:
I have renamed the game Tales of Pentias, because War of the fire plane was long to say and awkward sounding.
–Dec 17, 2010--
Devogen made an epic banner, Legendweaver agrees to do GUI and I make some new tiles(houses, rocks).  So long as I find a coder in short time, this game will be ready for alpha in no time!
>! --Jan 5, 1011--
Coder found!  I've worked on the cliff tiles quite a bit, and the coder(who wishes to be anonymous) has been working on an animation system.  Its almost done, I just need to install it completely.
>! --Jan 7, 2011--
Thorn is helping! and it has inspired me to write some more info, sooo check out the 'Quests' section!

Why You should join the team?  simple.  first off, you'll gain some experience.  Secondly, you can use it as a Portfolio of sorts.  Finally, it will be a ducking awesome game that YOU can help create.

Now, I'll get right down to business of whom I need on the team.

Programmer- I need a programmer skilled in VB6.  The Programmer would be able to express some creative energy into the game because he will have a large say on how many systems(quest, mount, pets, etc.) work.

Spriter- The spriter's job will be a long lasting one, but one that has very little work.  They will probably get a request of 7 sprites in a week, so they could easily just spend a day of the week spriting.

Thats all.  Developers and or mappers may be needed, but not for a good bit of time.

Looks very interesting… the sprites sadly look very bad... sorry...
Um... the classes should be more defined. Give them more weapons to hold than just one. List their cons too. Or basically what they're weak with...

Aww... the elves died off?! T_T
You should think about having people choose whether or not to be a human. Add variety to the game play...

Glad to of helped if I did...

Do you want help developing? I'm an excellent map maker :D

>the sprites look very bad
  You talking about the tiles?  if you are, I disagree with you.  They aren't amazing, but I wouldn't say they're bad at all.

>the classes should be more defined
  They are more defined.  I have quite a bit of information currently unreleased.
>they should have more weapons than just one
  I disagree.  You get to choose what class you are, and therefore choose what weapons you can have.  Of course, I have long swords, daggers, short swords, and Great swords planned to be released in the game as well as maces, pickaxes, Battle axes, and Pole axes.  I just have not fully planned it for communication yet.  Also, soon I'll have detailed descriptions of each class.  currently the classes I posted are just a blob of raw information.

>having people choose whether or not to be a human.  Add variety to the game play…
  If you really mean that to just add variety to the gameplay, than it's not really necessary.  You can craft your character's stats how you want them, choose his class, and have him acquire skills(sorry that this wasn't posted yet) however you like.

>Do you want help developing? I'm an excellent map maker :D
  I said clearly: "Thats all.  Developers and or mappers may be needed, but not for a good bit of time." but thank you for the offer.  I'll contact you later possibly.

Wow, I spent WAAAY too much time on that.

• 2 weeks later...