Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Video Game Idea

Estec

I got an idea of a game I wanna make. What does everyone think of a game that the max level is 50 and you find supplies to get stuff. There would be morning creatures and night enemies. Everytime you die you go back to level 1 with beginner stats, and it's a roguelike game. This is what I'm talking about:
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike)
Not exactly like that, just add a system where you go back to level 1 with beginner stats.
I already started making it, I'm just getting opinions on who would play it.

Rougelikes have some of the best and often times most overlooked game play mechanics. Although I would say the games themselves are fairly simple: Run through randomly generated dungeons getting loot and growing in strength. Most games use this in some form or fashion but I think it is the perma death/ difficulty that has been overlooked. I especially liked how Shiren the wanderer handled it. You could only go forward into the game and when you died you started in the first area with nothing, but you could send back items and weapons to storage houses to use in your next life. So essentially you had to level up a weapon then hopefully send it back and repeat the process until your weapon was powerful enough to get through the last area and boss. Overall the game was super short but lasted a really long time and I remember the sense of accomplishment when I finally beat the final boss. I don't really get that from too many games now a days. Demon's Souls is the only latest one I can think of. It makes me sick when ever I try a new commercial MMO. I hope one day they will give up the WOW formula and try something more challenging. Currently you are just spoon fed small achievements over and over but it is never difficult or inspiring–just time consuming. We are starting to see glimmers of hope in games like Minecraft and H&H. Those are indy though and it seems the corporate offices haven't been persuaded that there is enough hardcore gamers to enjoy a game that isn't based on killing 500 bunnies so I can get to the next level to fight the black bunnies.

@Mikekan13:

> Rougelikes have some of the best and often times most overlooked game play mechanics. Although I would say the games themselves are fairly simple: Run through randomly generated dungeons getting loot and growing in strength. Most games use this in some form or fashion but I think it is the perma death/ difficulty that has been overlooked. I especially liked how Shiren the wanderer handled it. You could only go forward into the game and when you died you started in the first area with nothing, but you could send back items and weapons to storage houses to use in your next life. So essentially you had to level up a weapon then hopefully send it back and repeat the process until your weapon was powerful enough to get through the last area and boss. Overall the game was super short but lasted a really long time and I remember the sense of accomplishment when I finally beat the final boss. I don't really get that from too many games now a days. Demon's Souls is the only latest one I can think of. It makes me sick when ever I try a new commercial MMO. I hope one day they will give up the WOW formula and try something more challenging. Currently you are just spoon fed small achievements over and over but it is never difficult or inspiring–just time consuming. We are starting to see glimmers of hope in games like Minecraft and H&H. Those are indy though and it seems the corporate offices haven't been persuaded that there is enough hardcore gamers to enjoy a game that isn't based on killing 500 bunnies so I can get to the next level to fight the black bunnies.

I completely agree, but this game is like sorta a Minecraft and roguelike game mixed. And I can make it so that you can store items, and only the owner can get them out. I just gotta make a little script. But, of course I'm gonna make it so that you need a certain amount of certain supplies to get the storage item.

> And I can make it so that you can store items, and only the owner can get them out.

Imo if it is going to be a multi-player game then other people should be able to affect everything in that game world. For example in the game I am making that container would be able to be made out of varying materials, some stronger than others. But, there would always be someone or something that could break it/pick lock. MMOs as they currently stand are a bunch of people in the same world playing their own single player game. It should be the opposite; a single game being played by multiple people.

Just how I am doing it. To each there own but I do think mmos need more interaction than: Hey can you trade this item for that. Or, Hey lets go grind that dungeon together. When players can actually change the game world and other peoples personal games is when it gets interesting for me. Sure I would be pissed if one day I logged on and some guy had broken into my player house and stolen all my sweet loot, but at the same time it would only deepen the experience for me. There is a balance you have to find between danger/protection reward/loss. I feel like I am going away from this posts topic though so I will end it here.

@Peteyyy:

> I'm sick of everyone on this forum comparing anything to either Minecraft or H&H. Has no one played any other games?

Those are good games. And mind you, he did include WoW in there. (Not the best game but it's decent)
NEver really tried H&H.
But please, back on topic.

> I'm sick of everyone on this forum comparing anything to either Minecraft or H&H. Has no one played any other games?

I mentioned: Demon's Souls, Shiren the wanderer, WOW, Minecraft, and H&H. Although I should have included Dwarf Fortress and NetHack. And just so you know I hate H&H. I like some of their ideas but I despise the execution and overall game.

```
why examples of games are needed is beyond me.
```Other games should be used as examples to better game development as a whole. without past examples to better ourselves with we would be like cave men hitting rocks together. Why that is beyond you is beyond me.

@Mikekan13:

> ```
> why examples of games are needed is beyond me.
> ```Other games should be used as examples to better game development as a whole. without past examples to better ourselves with we would be like cave men hitting rocks together. Why that is beyond you is beyond me.

"Do you like this game?"
"it sounds like Minecraft"
is what I was referring to.