Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VB6 Help X_X

Gohan

I ran a backup to before I had vb6 installed, and when I go to reinstall it I have no problems, followed every step in Robins tut to the letter. I load up my project, get no errors, but when I try to compile, even if I changed absolutely nothing I get a compile error. It highlights

```
frmMain.Socket.RemoteHost = Options.IP
```
And says "Method or data member not found"

EDIT: And when opening the server project it says error accessing the system registry.

Ha aha ha ha ha

Sorry I LOLed.

Using vista or windows 7 without running as administrator and compatibility mode will cause your registry error. But what do I know, I was only a professional in the IT industry and a developer with a college education in IT. :) Nova Scotia Community College 04, MCP, MCDST major in networking / minor in programming. ;) *kisses* former MS employee on XP/Vista support teams [email protected] ID, incase you feel like questioning my experience next time Soul.

OP: If loading the project gives you an error, such as his (after you've resolved the registry error on start up)  Example winsock, you don't need to redownload te source you just need to readd the proper components and controls into the project after theyve been reregistered.

@Rob:

> Using vista or windows 7 without running as administrator and compatibility mode will cause your registry error. But what do I know, I was only a professional in the IT industry and a developer with a college education in IT. :) Nova Scotia Community College 04, MCP, MCDST major in networking / minor in programming. ;) *kisses* former MS employee on XP/Vista support teams [email protected] ID, incase you feel like questioning my experience next time Soul.

To be quite honest: I don't care about your flashy titles (especially since they're Microsoft titles, which I don't exactly like). You could be king of your country, but when you visit another country, you're in the other king's domain. You don't have to like the other king, you have to respect him. Here I treat everyone equally: I don't care if you're a veteran or a newbie, if I feel you're out of line, I'll call you out on it.

The truth is I've had to deal with this error at least 50 times. It's not some random, "Let's take a shot in the dark and hope something works," problem. This is routine here. Whenever this happens, the problem is either a lack of VB6 SP6 (even if people do read the tutorial, they usually skip the end) or it's between the computer and the chair. If you feel like questioning my personal experience with a specific error under a specific software, whereas you deal with an entire operating system of general errors with thousands of meanings, feel free to do so via PM.

> OP: If loading the project gives you an error, such as his (after you've resolved the registry error on start up)  Example winsock, you don't need to redownload te source you just need to readd the proper components and controls into the project after theyve been reregistered.

As a support representative you should know that it's silly to suggest something like this. If he has an error with something as simple as following an instruction in a step-by-step guide, it's rather improbable that he will learn how to do that. The reason I suggest to redownload the source is because otherwise I'd have to explain how to actually do it step by step otherwise.

Here's a shot in the dark: the OP probably downloaded VB6 SP6 without actually installing it properly (running in XP compatibility and/or as administrator.) While messing with his installation he did so and it worked.

Too be honest, I've not installed SP6 for VB6 on any of my machines, every installation I've encountered this same error, which is resolved by running as admin an compatibility, and using regsvr should I encounter any issues.  So I truly can't comment if this is resolved by installing SP6, for that I apologize perhaps it does indeed go about resolving the issue in a different manner than my solution.  My solution does infact work so to say I do not know what I am talking about is plainly incorrect.  I've got no issues with you calling people out on issues like this, I'm right there with you, but these steps do indeed work :)

The problem with your solution is it that it assumes that is the problem is that the .dll exists in the 32-bit registry. A program (think: super uninstaller program) could have removed the file completely. Your solution will not work here. I go for the solution that works 100% of the time.

It actually happened once, that the user, despite _using XP, had this issue_. The service pack resolved this. I don't exactly want to search for it, but I remember it clearly.

Otherwise, your solution works, but there is still a method to my madness.

Even on a 64 bit OS my method woks just need to use the 32 bit version of regsvr in SysWow ;). I've never heard of super uninstalled but if it actually deleted the file, no amount of reregistering will fix the issue, you're right ;). And I do have to agree with you on one part, my method is targeted toward the non-novice user ;)

@Rob:

> Even on a 64 bit OS my method woks just need to use the 32 bit version of regsvr in SysWow ;). I've never heard of super uninstalled but if it actually deleted the file, no amount of reregistering will fix the issue, you're right ;).

I think you're a little confused on what I meant, I should have elaborated. A "super uninstaller" (I'm sure there's a real name for it) basically removes every .dll associated with the program (tasklist /m /fi "imagename eq Eclipse Origins.exe"), unless that .dll is critical to system operation. The idea of VB6 SP6 is that it'll register the required .dll's. If you do have the file registered in the 32-bit registry, your method will work. Otherwise, you'll have to install SP6.

Well that's gross.  Having it remove every .dll associated with it would end up deleting VBVM60, MSSTDFMT, DX8VB, et all.  I've never heard of an installer being that in depth to actually kill that many files but I'm sure they do exist.  I could see installing SP6 being a necessity then if that were the case.  But for a new user, who just installed VB6, and downloaded EO.  SP6 isn't necessary at all.  If it were a clean install of VB6 on Vista or Windows 7, and a fresh download of EO.  The only thing needed to do to get it working is Run as Administrator and Compatibility mode.  Though looking back at his original post, sounds like he did a System Restore which would have probably blown away the DLL files from the VB6 installation.  I should have read that the first time ;)