Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Client connection problems…Server has no router.

Recoil

I have been searching for this one.  Currently I am using Hughesnet.  My modem is jacked straight in to my computer.  I pulled my external IP address, setup my server for testing, sent a copy of the client to a friend, and he cannot connect.

I have looked at all the tutorials, and the results that I can pull up on searches here, but I am not a noob by any means when it comes to setting up stuff like this.

I went through to make sure everything was setup on both ends.  I even brought down my firewall for a short period to see if that would help but it didn't, so it has nothing to do with the rules sets (I'm using NOD32 btw).  He even tried pinging my ip address and returned all lost packed.  I have Windows firewall turned completely off as well, since NOD32 is my primary firewall.

I wanted to see if someone might have run into this issue or an idea of where I can look on my system.  I do have a router that I can use, but have not needed it so I don't even have it hooked up.

okay, I just checked my ip, started my server again, entered my ip and the port in the link, and the page that it is displaying is attached.  I'm not sure what that means.

I do have my firewall turned back on for this pic, but it is the same if the firewall is off or on.

checkip.org & ipchicken.com are showing 67.142.170.23

The link you provided is showing 69.19.118.20

> Error: I could not see your service on 69.19.118.20 on port (8000)
> Reason: Connection timed out

I am trying to check on port 8000.  I am beginning to think that it has something to do with the modem.

I'm not really sure to be honest…I have not had to check with this connection since I have had it.  DHCP is enabled on my local area network connection going to my modem.  It has a screen with like 9 billions pages on it showing different stuff I have not run into before.

I don't really see it being a problem with not having a router. All that does is punch a hole in your NAT and routes traffic to that machine.

In theory you shouldn't have to do anything to host from your machine… but I've never really dealt with a computer which wasn't behind a secure network, so I'm at a loss.

Try getting Gwen in here and ask her. She's much better at networking than I am.

I have DynamicIP.  The representative who seemed as knowledgeable as a can of rocks, suggested that I further the expense of adding a static IP.

I am probably just going to work on my client/server stuff that I am wanting to change around until after January when I get a host for a game.

Alright, I got no-ip setup.  rpggame.servebeer.com

We have still tried to connect and nothing.  I am just going to have to get a host if I am going to do anything cause I am really starting to think it is this sat modem.  There are so many settings for it in the advanced setup that I have never even heard of, so I am going to leave it like it is.

Thanks for the assistance.