Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Starting Over with Making my own Sprite Character Base

Byson

OK, I have been having loads and loads of problems with general scale sizing when attempting to create a good Character Base. My primary problems were with the arms and the legs.

Now, I have returned to making a Chibi Sprite, better than my previous, as to get to grips, at a smaller scale, with general ratio of body parts against eachother.

This is my current attempt: ![](http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/MJBrophy/Personal%20Pixel%20Artistry/BrophyChibiBase1Tester.png)

Now, a few things I have already realised, and one is the reason for me posting this.

1) The Arms are too short, I'm currently attempting to remedy this now, although its taking a while to make it so he isnt looking like he is raising his shoulders to bulk himself out.

2) Legs. At first, I didn't think the legs looked too bad, in my mind they appeared to be rather well scaled against some other parts of the body. However, the other half of my mind thinks they look too chunky. If anyone can give me any idea that I can use as a reference to complete my front view standing base, the criticism would be met with relished appreciation.

Otherwise, I personally do not feel the "shading"/"shadowing" is too bad and I am generally very happy with the result. Its just the odd things I still need to practice.

Thank You for reading, I will post any further improvements and alterations to this first post as and when they are done.

EDIT: I am useless with eyes too. I *ahem* did copy the Breeze Revolution eyes; everything else is "custom" I guess you could say.

**Revised**

Just updating. Fianlly got the legs slimmed by directing the pixels inward at a slope towards the feet rather than just using vertical lines to make them seem slim, but otherwise square. I'm fairly happy about the feet, but there has to be something more I can do for them. Unfortunately, Her0, I wasn't able to take your advice about the gap in the legs; for a base this small, I am not too sure it would appear quite right.

Either way, they are slimmed down now and I would like to show it for scrutiny, criticism and advice for further productivity.

Revised Sprite:      ![](http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/MJBrophy/Personal%20Pixel%20Artistry/BrophyChibiBase2Tester.png)

This Sprite is 1 px shorter than the first I posted.

**Revised #2**

OK, the second revision shows the legs divided as thanks to our Heart Shaped members wonderful and easy to follow advice. It is definitely coming together. I would still like to have the feet angled forwards at some point. But I going to try and make it so that it doesn't look too square. Otherwise the base is almost complete.

Revised Base #2: ![](http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/MJBrophy/Personal%20Pixel%20Artistry/BrophyChibiBase3Tester.png)

@Fuu:

> Dem thighs.

Aye….Tundra Thighs

Ill update tomorrow.....I got the arms sorted at least, but I gonna need some time on sorting the legs. I just wish I knew what to do to narrow them without making the sprite itself look worse than it does now.... *ponders*

Don't be afraid to have space between the sprite's legs, they are crammed together at the moment, and he has Sasquatch feet. Fix those up and I think it'd be a rather nice sprite base. The feet are pointing in a nice direction, just slim them down a bit.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I'm only basing it off of my own body proportions…. :)

It would just be useful if I knew how to divide the legs without making everything too small for rest of the base. Being able to divide the legs would allow for better customization and detail regarding lower body clothing without them seeming to meld together where the legs join.

It's infuriating.

@Byson:

> I'm only basing it off of my own body proportions…. :)
>
> It would just be useful if I knew how to divide the legs without making everything too small for rest of the base. Being able to divide the legs would allow for better customization and detail regarding lower body clothing without them seeming to meld together where the legs join.
>
> It's infuriating.

Is this what you want?
![](http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee434/Wingish/Image2-1.png)

Wow…Why didn't I think of that? *beats own head against the wall*

Looking at it, I'm assuming you made the divide and just knocked the other pixels over one. Still, thank you, that's just what I'm looking for.

I bet that came so easy to you as well....  :sad:

I'm going to assume you didn't know what I meant by "standing at attention". In the military, when you stand at attention, you press your legs together, and often turn your feet in a position that looks unnatural. (Or, the people in JROTC at my school do that, lol'd). It doesn't look natural. Edit the position of the feet, and spread the legs apart a bit ~~more~~.

Don't worry, I knew what was meant by "Stand to Attention". I couldn't really comment on him looking like a fat, Military man. So I commented on the fat instead.

I took mister "Heart Shape's" (I don't know how to make a heart on my keyboard) advice and, in all likelihood, copied it. But my base does look a lot better now, now I just gotta start on the template.

EDIT: Oh, I will leave the final pose on here though. Further advice regarding positioning etc would still be grateful. Adaption to the template as a whole could then be made.