Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can i make the client get its data files from a website?

therehere3

Hey i was wodnering (so basically i can auto-update the item looks, npcs and all tht crap. ) could i make it load instead of loading /data files  in the same folder, maybe something like a website like load from www.google.com/data files  oorrr something?

@lexkymbeth:

> No he means, reading the img files on a website so you don't have to download allot, witch i don't think is possible yet xD

I know exactly what he means – but that's not the best solution. Downloading a file from the webserver every time it is needed wastes bandwidth (even if it is cached). Downloading a file from the webserver requires you to download more than just checking a 100 byte text file and then downloading the appropriate files already compressed only once. Overall, downloading from a webserver while using DirectX it is a bad idea unless the files are already compressed and cached, in which case you might as well save the trouble and just keep it local. The Autoupdater achieves the same thing while maintaining a good balance between bandwidth and flexibility, hence why I recommend it over a different solution.