Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Auto-tile Algorithms

sirsk8aton

Hello all. Lately I've been working on different games in C++ for learning experience and fun. I've made a lot of progress since I started and now I'm trying to implement an auto-tiling system. I'm making a 2D game with tiles, much like eclipse. The problem now is I don't know how to go about programming the auto-tiling system. I've attempted it a couple times but can't get the results I want.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this, it'd be much appreciated.

I did some research into this as well. Autotiling is quite complex in the sense that it cuts up the 32*32 tiles into 16*16 and re-arranges those pieces to make a 32*32 tile that fits the surrounding.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/106884/Implementing-Auto-tiling-Functionality-in-a-Tile-M

That's a good thing to read before you start.

Thanks for the info. I thought of trying to cut them into 16 pixels but it's going to be weird to make them work with my engine. I was also thinking about just checking the surrounding tiles to see if I can just do it that way. Maybe I can look into EO:CS's source and learn from that.

Didn't I already write something about this a few years ago …

Anyway, there's a lot of fun algorithms you can look up in mathematics journals about tiling methods. A lot of them assign a specific numerical value to each tile choice and then structure the model around that and then match pixel values on the boarders to see if the matching is ideal.

So yeah, try searching Tiling Methods in Google Scholar.

- Joe