Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Eclipse Open-Source ?

Swizl

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if the Eclipse engine is Open Source.

Not sure what Open Source means ? Want to learn more about Open Source Software ? Click [here](http://opensource.org/osd) (Open Source Definition)

For example, if I were to modify the Eclipse engine for my own game could I later release this engine with a different name on a different website if sufficient modifications were made ?

I'm talking about this from a legal point of view.

I did not post this topic aiming to do the following, not that I could in any way since I didn't start programming yet & I have a long way to go.

Thanks

Swizl

> For example, if I were to modify the Eclipse engine for my own game could I later release this engine with a different name on a different website if sufficient modifications were made

Yes and no really. Refer to the license that ships with the engine.

Sekaru, If i were to give all credits to people that contributed to the engine i modified would it then be legal, the Eclipse License thread confused me alot.

Of course software based on another open source software will be open source as well.

Swizl

That's only if you intend to sell off the source or something. If you're making a game and you're releasing it you don't even need to mention Eclipse in any sort of document.