Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sample Game Advertisement Thread

Pickle

**I decided to do a mockup ad for an imaginary game called BreathMints Online (yes, breathmints. stfu). My explanations and comments are in red. This is not a template for you to follow, but hopefully my comments will provide some insight into what you should try to do.**

**Also, even though I do it here, I _NEVER_ condone the use of the word "ONLINE" in a game name.**

![](http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6497/breathmintqv5.gif)
Notice how I begin with a banner. It's good to open with a logo, image, banner, etc - it looks like a professional job and attracts attention. Also notice how simple the banner is - two words and two lines looks better than quite a lot of the art I see around here sometimes (not talking about anyone in particular, but I have seen BAD stuff). Look at how the "Online" is smaller than the "BreathMints" - variation in size is a good artistic technique. The image was made in Photoshop, saved as a GIF (because nothing pisses people off more than a 5 MB bitmap on a website) and stored on [ImageShack](http://www.imageshack.us).

Slay monsters. Invent technology. Freshen your breath.

BreathMints Online.

Here I'm using short, descriptive sentences here to create a very dramatic writing style and to build tension and excitement. Nothing bores people more than "you should play this game because…"

Welcome to a world where bad breath is the enemy. Where dark creatures roam on the outskirts of massive cities. Join the powerful Spearmint Faction, fight for the armies of TicTac, or forge your own path.

Again, note the writing style. I'm using short, descriptive sentences and setting the mood, atmosphere, and setting of the game without being too wordy. Also, notice how my "story" doesn't have an end goal (I.E. "will you find the Ten Shards of Power and defeat Bill Gates?" or whatever). I find that having a goal for the character negates the open-ended aspect of an MMO.

BreathMints Online breaks away from the traditional mold, featuring things never before seen in the world of gaming.  A dynamic, open-ended Breath Freshening system ensures you're never without a mint.

Staying with the same writing style, I'm now going into what makes this game different (and hopefully better) than the other games. Again, I'm staying away from the use of "I", "My", "We", etc. I'm still using dramatic language, such as "never before seen" and "dynamic, open-ended" to hopefully impress the reader. And yet again, notice how there are only two sentences. Brief and to the point.

Are you ready?

[Official Website](http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/2007/01/14/i-has-a-bucket/)

Ideally, by now I've got the reader hooked and wanting more. If this was a serious project, I'd have a website with more in-depth information on the game world, screenshots (plenty), etc. For now, they be stealin mah bucket.