Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to make your game look more profesional

Many of us worry that our game will not look professional, or are novice mappers / coders, or even have never used this kind of program before. Well, just because you're new doesn't mean you can't have a fun, professional looking game.

But why do I want it to look professional? I just want it to be fun!
You want it to look professional so it will be eye pleasing, easy to use, and contain few if any errors. If any of the above are not met, you're game won't even be tried for "fun" and will not be played.

If they don't like how my game looks, I don't want them here anyway!
Ah… bad managing, bad bad managing. Why lost potential members because the initial presentation of the game isn't very good?

But I never judge a book by it's cover!
Make no mistake, we're not talking about just it's cover here. These tips and tricks will help eliminate problems in you're game, as well as help you, the developer.

Time to get started!

Make a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to keep track of maps BEFORE creating them!
Yes, this will help you greatly! If you had, say, huge 1000x1000 maps, this might not help, but because those would have more problems than help, we're going to assume that you kept the normal sized maps. Here's what you do. Before doing anything in game, think of what will be in the top right hand corner. Let's say it's the top right hand corner of you're island, then type in "island top corner"
Why do this, you say? First of all, you won't have an ugly, choppy game where you can't go in all four directions on every map. for example-
XXXXXXXX This represents a map where X'es are maps that do not have
X000000X all four directions on the side of the map travelable.
X000000X Notice that that the only X's are on the edge. These X's
X000000X would be "excused" because there would be water or
XXXXXXXX something stopping the player from going past those maps.
If you can't go past a map for no reason, it's bad, and make you're game look ugly and not very well thought out. This map is better than...

XXXXXXXX In this map, you're player would have to guess what maps
X00X00XX he can and can't travel from in all directions. Although
X00X000X the boarder maps would have water, making them the "end"
X000X00X the interior maps that have X's are not excused. There
X00X0X0X is no reason for it, besides poor and ugly planing.
X000000X
XXXXXXXX

Also, using an excel sheet will help keep the themas of the maps perfect, because you can do a "fourSweep"
A fourSweep is the map creation where you make all maps existent, and connect them. After you have done so, you can do your sweeps.
Sweep one- Make the terrain of the maps. All water, grass, cliffs, and the like.
Sweep two- Make the greenery for the maps. Grass, trees, rocks, and everything that makes up the environment.
Sweep three- Make the structures. All roads, buildings, and stuff.
Sweep four- Make the NPC's and building interiors.

Check for stupid mistakes-
So far in this tutorial, I have hidden a few spelling errors. You probably noticed them. See how they draw from the effect of what I'm saying and onto the errors? A game riddled with small spelling or grammatical mistakes will get you deemed a n00b with a n00b game, and earn you that title fast.

Make new features-
Many people have made a game using the eclipse engine, but no two good ones are the same. What makes them different? Is it the fact that they have luscious arena's in every city, or the fact that they have costume made items that can make those good enough to obtain them look like a stick figure? It's all of these, and so much more. Originality in a game is it's blood as much as the mapping is. Have features to keep players interested and give them something to do besides grind.

Make the game balanced-
This is a very important thing. If my level 50 warrior is walking around getting beat by a LL 25 mage because I have the best sword I can get that only does 10 damage, but they have a spell that cost 5 MP and does 9999999 damage to me, somethings wrong. Ditto if it's vice versa.

Avoid racism, slander, or preaching in the game-
Try not to offend anyone while playing you're game. If you make a game about the Klu Klux Klan, don't expect to many black people to play it. Also, you're game is not a great way to bible bash people.

Make dynamic maps-
If your maps are consisting of ten different tiles, all straight lines, and no NPC's, I suggest getting help. Practice, practice, practice will make you're maps look better, but a lot, going to other peoples game and looking at their maps is a great way to learn. And, although you will be learning, don't forget to touch up those first maps you made if you decide to keep them.

Make sure to have progressing items-
Most of the fun in MMO's, less playing with friends, is getting that new awesomeness item you're been working on for half the game. Make sure to have great items players can get (but it's hard to obtain!)
Also, make sure to have a new item for all classes every 5-10 items that is the "standard" item for them to have, as well as extra items to obtain.

Remember, you're player's aren't Psyche-
Explain features to new players and make a beginning tutorial for them! Also, don't make the lowest level monsters and armor lvl 50, because they start a little lower than that....

Make the game easy to use and maneuver-
This one is mostly easy, just make sure that you make a new GUI, that's that thing that all you're buttons are on, as well as the title screen and stuff. Just ask if you need help.

Last, but not least-
Make sure to know that there is an entire community that prides themselves on aiding you in your game. While we will not baby you through and give you all of our undivided time, any questions or anything of the like we will be glad to answer. Where, you ask? Right here! At Freemmorpgmaker.com/smf

While, most of this is common seines, I believe it will aid some poor newbies. I will be updating this thing sometime, don't worry. ^.^

good luck to you all.
All credit goes to jsventor
Basic Mapping

Basic Mapping: Tiles

Tiles are the backbone of mapping. There are 3 layers of tiles. These 3 layers are used to create the actually design on the map. Select a layer, then a tile, and place it!

Ground
Allows you to place various things on the ground of a map. They will appear below the player. Use this for things like short grass, cement, and other things you would find flat on the ground

Mask
They are things below the player that are not exactly on the ground. Use this for tall grass, and tree stumps

Fringe
These appear over the player. These are for things that would normally hang over people.

Besides these 3 layers, you may notice a second mask and a second fringe. These are for things like having a mask on a mask or a fringe on a fringe. There is also the animation. For example, you choose one tile as a mask to be the first frame, and a second to be the second frame. When you make the second one, click on the animation button RIGHT BELOW the layer of tile you made it. It will become a 2 tile alternating animation.

BE CAREFUL. Many a good map was ruined by carelessness. Be sure to put the right things in the right places. Also, when you are erasing, first select the layer that you want to erase, THEN erase. Otherwise you could erase the wrong thing.

Basic Mapping: Attributes

While tiles make up the looks of the map, the attributes provide the actual interaction. Using the right attribute in the right place is key to making the player feel like he is playing a fun game. I have listed the attributes and what they do below

Blocked
Blocks the player
Warp
Warps the player to a x/y location on a map determined by you
Item
Places an item on a tile. You can specify item and quantity
NPC Avoid
Blocks NPCs
Key
Designates item as key. See Key Open
Key Open
Designates a door that will be opened by a key
Heal
Heals the player
Kill
Kills the player
Play Sound
Plays a sound
Scripted
Scripted Tile. For more information on scripting and scripted tiles, refer to 23.txt in the Guide folder of your Chaos Server folder
Class Change
Changes players class to something you designate
Notice
Creates a notice. Place a notice somewhere and if someone presses ctrl on it, the notice appears along with a sound you chose
Door
Creates an unlocked door
Sign
Like a notice, except 3 lines of text, no sound, and the text appears in your chatbox. Unlike a notice however, a sign must be activated
Sprite Change
Changes players sprite to something you designate. You have to know the sprite number to change it
Class Block
Blocks a designated class
Shop
Places a previously created shop. Create shops with the shop editor
Arena
When stepped on, warps you to a map where you fight against a player
Bank
Places a bank
House Buy
Place this in a map with the map attribute (See map properties) to allow a player who steps on it to buy the house
House Tiles
A tile on which you can place furniture in a house (see map properties, map morality)
Furniture

Allows you to place furniture on a map. Players can move their furniture around. Furniture can only be placed on a house map

Basic Mapping: Lighting

While tiles add life to a map, and tile attributes make the map interactive, lighting adds a further element of realism. Lighting is only shown at night. Personally, I use the lighting for magical orbs, which light up the cities in my game. Lighting really needs no explaining. Use lighting to light up the game at night. Use your own sense to determine what light should go where. I speak no more.

Basic Mapping: Map Properties

Map Properties, the final step to creating a good map, is like publishing the map. To access the map attributes screen, press the button that looks like a switchboard. I will explain the various things you can do

Name the Map
Self Explanatory
Map Switchovers
Allows you to say which map( represented by map number) is north, south, east, and west of the current map. Also, you can designate a map to be indoors. This will keep it lit up, even at night. If you want it to not have a map in a certain direction, put a 0 instead of the map number
Dungeon
If the map is a Dungeon, this section allows you to designate where and on what map the player will spawn if they die on this map
Map Morality
Allows you to change the basic setting of the map
None: A zone that has Player killing with a penalty
Safe Zone: A zone without player killing
No Death Penalty: Like nonem except with no penalty
House: A house that can be bought using the Player House Buy attribute
Music
Allows you to change the music of a map. To add more songs, put them in the 'music' folder in the client. BE SURE TO DISTRIBUTE THE MUSIC THAT YOU ADD TO THE CLIENT

NPCs

Allows you to place NPCs on a map by choosing the NPC and its start location.

Thats it! Save your map (Press the floppy disk button) and show the world that I know how to map!
credit goes to tehgrunt