Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problems with targeting

drktemplar

I'm trying to work on a ranged damage spell.  However I'm hung up on getting data back from the target.  I created this test script just to get data to work with, but it has a problem and does nothing.

I created a basic npc and put him in the map.  I select him and its give me the message "your target is now…" and then when i use this script, nothing happens.  However If i have myself targeted I can get the message.  Any thoughts?

Case 2
pxp = GetPlayerX(Index)
pyp = GetPlayerY(Index)
txp = GetPlayerX(GetPlayerTarget(Index))
typ = GetPlayerY(GetPlayerTarget(Index))
Call BattleMsg(Index, "Your target is at "&txp&" by "&typ&" , and you are at "&pxp&" by "&pyp&".", BLUE, 0)
Call BattleMsg(Index, "Your target variable is "&pt, BLUE, 0)

*I get an error that says "Subscript Out of Range", not sure if that helps or not.

GetPlayerTarget(index) will only return -1 if your target is an NPC, and GetPlayerTargetNpc(index) will tell you what an NPC's index is, so if you want to target only players, use GetPlayerTarget(index); if you want to target only NPCs, use GetPlayerTargetNPC(index), and if you want to target either, use something like:
```
Dim target
target = GetPlayerTarget(index)
If target > 0 Then
  'do something
Else
  target = GetPlayerTargetNPC(index)
  'do something
End If
```
Also, if that doesn't work either, it may be a bug in EE 2.7 preventing you from targeting an NPC properly.  If that's the case, you need to find someone who can fix the source code for you.

Ok, I tried to include what you told me.  But I still receive the same error.  Here is the updated script.  I might just be writing it incorrectly.

Case 2
pm = GetPlayerMP(Index)
pt = GetPlayerTarget(Index)
pxp = GetPlayerX(Index)
pyp = GetPlayerY(Index)
txp = GetPlayerX(GetPlayerTarget(Index))
typ = GetPlayerY(GetPlayerTarget(Index))
pd = 1
If pt > 0 Then
Call SetPlayerHP(pt, GetPlayerHP(pt)-pd)
Call SetPlayerMP(Index, pm - 10)
Call BattleMsg(Index, "You have done "&pd&" damage to "&GetPlayerName(GetPlayerTarget(Index))&"!", BLUE, 0)
Else
pt = GetPlayerTargetNPC(Index)
Call SetPlayerHP(pt, GetPlayerHP(pt)-pd)
Call BattleMsg(Index, "You have done "&pd&" damage to "&GetPlayerName(GetPlayerTarget(Index))&"!", BLUE, 0)
End If
Exit Sub

```
Case 2
If GetPlayerTarget(Index) > 0 Then
Call SetPlayerHP(GetPlayerTarget(index), GetPlayerHP(GetPlayerTarget(index) - 1)
Call SetPlayerMP(Index, GetPlayerMP(index) - 10)
Call BattleMsg(Index, "You have done 1 damage to " & GetPlayerName(GetPlayerTarget(Index)) & "!", Red, 0)
ElseIf GetPlayerTarget(Index) = 0 Then
Call PlayerMsg(Index, "You need to target something to use this spell", Red)
Else
Call SetMapNPCHP(GetPlayerMap(Index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(index), GetMapNPCHP(GetPlayerTargetNPC(Index)) - 1)
Call SetPlayerMP(index, GetPlayerMP(index) - 10
Call BattleMsg(Index, "You have done 1 damage to " & GetNPCName(GetMapNPCnumber(GetPlayerMap(index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(index))) & "!", Red, 0)
End If
Exit Sub
```

Ok I got this sorta working now…  however the npc does not show in the UI that he has taken damage (no life bar appears) and the npc doesn't react as if he was hurt (ie: attack player).  Also the npc can go below 0 health and doesn't die.

What am I  missing?

Instead of using SetMapNpcHP, you may want to try DamageNPC(index, NPCindex, damage).  That should cause the NPC to react.  I'm not sure if it'll use the default battle message or not, though. 
If it does something you don't want it to, then try adding SetMapNpcTarget(MapNum, NPCIndex, Target) and SendNPC(mapnum, NPCindex) to make it target the player.  I'm not sure how to go about making the life bar appear, though.  I can't figure out how to kill the NPC, either, besides hitting it with an attack after it's already at negative HP.

Ok that worked.  Not only does the npc show a health bar and attack The player when hit, but also dies when the life reaches zero.  However once that happens I get an error. "Subscript out of range".  EDIT: This happens when the npc or player dies from this spell.

Here is the code (sry for my indenting as I'm new to scripting, and no one has explained the correct way, instead just criticized me)

pm = GetPlayerMP(Index)
ptp = GetPlayerTarget(Index)
ptn = GetPlayerTargetNPC(Index)
pd = 5

Call BattleMsg(Index, "PM = "±&", PTP = "&ptp&", PTN = "&ptn&", PD = "&pd&", NH = "&nh&"", GREEN, 0) 'this line is here for me to see what is going on

If ptp = 0 Then
Call BattleMsg(Index, "You need to target something to use this spell", BLUE, 0)
ElseIf ptp > 0 Then
Call SetPlayerHP(GetPlayerTarget(index), GetPlayerHP(GetPlayerTarget(index)) - pd)
'Call SetPlayerMP(Index, pm - 10) 'removed mp cost for testing
Call SendMP(Index)
Call BattleMsg(Index, "You have done "&pd&" damage to "&GetPlayerName(GetPlayerTarget(Index))&"!", Red, 0)
Else
Call DamageNPC(Index, ptn, pd)
Call SendNPC(GetPlayerMap(Index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(Index))
'Call SetPlayerMP(Index, pm - 10) 'removed mp cost for testing
Call BattleMsg(Index, "You have done "&pd&" damage to "&GetNPCName(GetMapNPCnumber(GetPlayerMap(index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(index))) & "!", Red, 0)
End If
Exit Sub

I think the problem is the order you're calling the statements.  Since you're calling DamageNPC first, the NPC will die before you can call the message saying that the NPC died, and since your target no longer exists, it'll try to find the name of something that doesn't exist anymore, the cause of the error. 

Try moving the DamageNPC call to the line after the BattleMsg call (right before the End If).  That should fix it.

I got it working with a ranged requirement as well so i thought i would post it for anyone that wants to use it.  Just change the variable for damage and range and you can easily customize this.  Add in some animation and sound effect and your done.

```
'***************Range Damage Spell Example*****************
Case 4
pm = GetPlayerMP(Index)
      pt = GetPlayerTarget(Index)
  ptn = GetPlayerTargetNPC(Index)
pd = 5
range = 5

If pt = 0 Then
        Call BattleMsg(Index, "You need to target something to use this spell", WHITE, 0)
      ElseIf pt > 0 Then
If GetPlayerX(GetPlayerTarget(index)) > (GetPlayerX(index) + Range) or GetPlayerY(GetPlayerTarget(index)) > (GetPlayerY(index) + Range) or GetPlayerX(GetPlayerTarget(index)) < (GetPlayerX(index) - Range) or GetPlayerY(GetPlayerTarget(index)) < (GetPlayerY(index) - Range) then
Call BattleMSG(index, "Your target is to far away for that ability.", WHITE, 0)
Else
        Call BattleMsg(Index, "You have done "&pd&" damage to "&GetPlayerName(GetPlayerTarget(Index))&"!", Red, 0)
Call DamagePlayer(Index, pt, pd)
Exit Sub
End If   
Else
    If GetNPCX(GetplayerMap(index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(index)) > (GetPlayerX(index) + Range) or GetNPCY(GetplayerMap(index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(index)) > (GetPlayerY(index) + Range) or GetNPCX(GetplayerMap(index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(index)) < (GetPlayerX(index) - Range) or GetNPCY(GetplayerMap(index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(index)) < (GetPlayerY(index) - Range) then
Call BattleMSG(index, "Your target is to far away for that ability.", WHITE,0)
Else
        Call BattleMsg(Index, "You have done "&pd&" damage to "&GetNPCName(GetMapNPCnumber(GetPlayerMap(index), GetPlayerTargetNPC(index))) & "!", Red, 0)
    Call DamageNPC(Index, ptn, pd)
Exit Sub
End If
End If
    Exit Sub

```