Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2d Games: The defense

Xavi

I am a lover of 2d games. Sure, I play games of the 3d variety as well, who doesn't? My real home is rendered in 2d though, and I think people forget that it actually has *gasp* benefits! I may be preaching to the choir here, but I still feel the need to express my opinion on the matter. Whether you agree with me or not is your choice. All I want to do is get you thinking.

Why do I prefer 2d games? Is it because of the feel? Is it for some sort of nostalgia factor? Is it just to be out of the ordinary? I'm not sure, but I think it mostly revolves around how it looks. 3d games have a tenancy to wimp out a little. In the older days, trees might be two flat images put together into an X shape, or just one image that always faces you. Even in today's modern world, you still see some of that. Not everything is rendered in full 3d.

Another thing that seems unavoidable is blurriness. If you get too close to an object, the texture will pixelate or blur. A lot of dome textures are a little too small for the area. Faces are almost always just flat polygons (That's changing now, but you have to admit that that's how it's been for a long freaking time). The thing that bothers me the most is animation. When your in 3d, the animation bar rises. Everything has to flow and not be jittery or sudden. It just doesn't look right otherwise.

The biggest thing that bothers me about 3d is that it's EVERYWHERE!! It's become a standard now, and it annoys me. Even 2d style games like Mario Bros. just HAVE to be in 3d. May I ask why? I guess it worked out, but the effect is that 2d games are shamed. The only 2d games I get to play are on old consoles or flash games. Case in point, how many times have you heard "Nobody will pay for a 2d mmo" on these forums? Well I've heard it a lot.

Look, I don't hate 3d games. In fact, many of them are really good! It all depends on who makes them and how much effort they put into it. What I don't like is the effect it had on the world of gaming. 3d has become a cheap gimmic. Ads say "Free 3d mmorpg!!", game companies boast "Realistic 3d graphics!", and frankly I don't like it.

I know a lot of you are going to accuse me of making generalizations, and to be fair I probably am. I'm just voicing my opinion. Here's to the continuous life of 2d games.

Well I don't have problems with a 3d mario game that's in a 2d style. I loved New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I just don't like how 2d games have to be revamped in 3d…