Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Merrimint - Hiring Programmer

Toranos

@Toranos:

> To clear this up to people who think this is the 'Ambershire' base, a base I worked on for another project of my own during the middle of this year. Here they are for comparison:
>
> ![](http://merrimint.org/toranos/comparison1.png)
>
> The Merrimint base uses a softer, simpler color scheme for the skin, similar to Chibi style. It uses dark outlinings to bolden it, giving it a bolder appearance, like popular MMO MapleStory, also in a way, chibi styled. The dark outline also keeps the base consistant, and although the Ambershire base seems more leaned toward the art direction, the Merrimint base is more practical for games, as its dark outline will go well against any light background.
>
> The Merrimint base's eyes are more respectable, they seem to give off a more chibi/cute vibe, whereas the Ambershire eyes seemed to be colorful dots. The perspective of the Merrimint base gives the sprite more facial space, rather than half the head covered with hair. It also will tie in nicely with the tilesets I plan to make, and doesn't have any extreme forward, or straight flat 2D look.
>
> The Merrimint base versus Breeze. As you can see, there is about 3x more space to work on, giving clothes a bigger range of possibilities, rather than sticking in the same 5x5 limit practically. Hair can be given more detail, along with clothing again, and the face has a more expressive appearance. The arms for the Merrimint base makes more sense than the arms of the Breeze kids, and yet again, the perspective is at a much better angle.
>
> ![](http://merrimint.org/toranos/comparison2.png)
>
> Lastly, if its the walkcycle that seems awkward, Chibi characters don't exactly have kneecaps, so the walk will always be rather stationary. I'm not going to give them 2cm long legs and have the body nearly half that.
>
> Thanks for reading through my ramblings :)
> Toranos.

• 3 weeks later...