Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO] Use PNG instead of JPG?

lcarens

Good Morning,
I have been trying to get the game to take PNGs instead of JPGs for some images, such as the main.jpg in the gui folder. I've tried changing the input in modGeneral, but then it says that it cannot find the image. The image is there, so I am assuming that it either doesn't support PNGs, or requires a plugin of some sort. If there is another image type I can use that doesn't ruin the quality, I can use that too. I just don't like how the JPG compression ruins the image.

@daxterxx:

> Use "Eclipse - Nightly" in the custom version section. Its an easy to use DX8 Engine

I don't want to switch engines. I've been building off of the original, and I have also invested quite a bit of time adding stuff from the source tutorials and adding my own code.

@Fogger:

> Do you use photoshop or paint to save your gui?
> Cause you really can't tell the difference unless you really pay attention when you save it on photoshop as a level quality of 12

I use a program called Paint.NET, with the quality set to 100%, and I still notice it. ._.

@lcarens:

> I use a program called Paint.NET, with the quality set to 100%, and I still notice it. ._.

Unfortunately, only with pixel art is this an issue. There are ways of having VB6 convert **.PNG to .BMP** via code. Your other option is to convert to DX8 yourself.

@MrMiguu:

> Unfortunately, only with pixel art is this an issue. There are ways of having VB6 convert **.PNG to .BMP** via code. Your other option is to convert to DX8 yourself.

VB6 supports bitmap? I'll try that then, because I'm pretty sure I can get a lossless BMP file.

Edit: Yeah, thanks! I can do what I want now. The only other issue I'm having is the chatbox. It is a solid color, and I want to be able to set the background of the RichTextBox to a image instead of a solid color, or simply not have the BackColor at all. Any ideas?

@lcarens:

> VB6 supports bitmap? I'll try that then, because I'm pretty sure I can get a lossless BMP file.
>
> Edit: Yeah, thanks! I can do what I want now. The only other issue I'm having is the chatbox. It is a solid color, and I want to be able to set the background of the RichTextBox to a image instead of a solid color, or simply not have the BackColor at all. Any ideas?

well im not sure but u can either add transparency to the image or alpha blending o.o.

• 8 months later...
> Do you use photoshop or paint to save your gui?
>
> Cause you really can't tell the difference unless you really pay attention when you save it on photoshop as a level quality of 12

yes, i agreee with you , you can also use an image converter to change the [formats](http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/vb-net-imaging/document-image-formats/) into more desirable image to suit your need.

> yes, i agreee with you , you can also use an image converter to change the [formats](http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/vb-net-imaging/document-image-formats/) into more desirable image to suit your need.

Heya, it's great that you're being helpful, but in future, please mind the date, as the last reply was from under a year ago. Do keep being helpful, though, it's great to see that. :}