Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A few screenies of my tileset

Niko

Back to making a game and working on my tilesets. Heres two screenies of my progress. Today ill be working on water, and transitions. Maybe buildings. Let me know what you all think.

![](http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/BigNiko188/prev1.png)

![](http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/BigNiko188/fixedwell-1.png)

Not bad, man. Some of them look flat however, and you can fix that by adding another shade color to it in what we would call the "back" of the object. Such as the well's back rim would be a darker color than it is, and to make it look rounded you should start using darker colors on the left and right edges of the well and lighter colors on the center of it. The same goes for that box (the back edge needs to be darker).

Everything else looks great, keep it up.

Edit: You can also make it seem like it has more depth by making the top and back lines of certain square objects start to go diagonally inward since it's farther away.

Edit2: After look at it, the well you can't see the top of the wooden thingy on top. Which should help.

Thanks pal. I really am though. I just don't release the first thing i throw down on a canvas. I develop everything for a while first. If you ask any legit pixeler though, im totally an amateur and they'll have a bunch of logic to back it up with as well. And I agree. haha.

Tree trunks have little depth, but if you do what chakra said it'll look much better. For the little shrubs, if you put the leaf that appears to be going 'away' from the player a few pixels lower it will look much more like it's going 'away' and not straight up. I would also make the leaves of said shrubs get darker/lighter at the end to make them appear as if they're bending.

The red things on the trees are too saturated and bright. The dirt is also kind of lamely tan, and not a brown color. Try darkening it a bit and play around with more red.

Also, the light source is still inconsistent as it was last time you posted. Trees are darker on the left side, where everything else is lighter on the right side. This is easy to fix; just flip the trees horizontally. Most bitmap editors have a flip tool. The crate and fence also appear to have no lightsource/light from above. It's not a big issue but you could try your hand fixing that.

Sorry if you feel like I'm attacking your post, you just have a lot of tiles and some of them aren't as good as they could be with just a few small edits. Best of luck.

Thanks for the support everyone.
@Agoraphobic : The fence thing is actually just an artistic stand point im not sure if it will be in the final. I have a full working fence that connects and has the side frames to go vertically on the map. I will probably end up using both.

@Captain Anosora : I don't really see anything to bright or contrasty.

@Keebler Elf: I might make some happy trees, or maybe a quest or something from it.

@Eckhart : Thanks for the advice buddy. Im not a legit pixler and Ill never have enough time to put into these drawings to make everything perfect. That's not my goal, especially the lighting thing. For the most part the light source is the same. If there's a few things that slipped, im not going to worry to much about it. Besides its a fantasy game, whats everyone's deal here with needing everything to be proper and realistic?

Heres a screen shot of a small goblin camp. Soon there will be goblins running around and different styled cave houses. Some with signs for shops and such, some with flags, some without, different colors. ex

![](http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/BigNiko188/goblincampupdate.png)

Heres is an example of my water tile, I haven't quite made the transition tiles yet so the water seems like its floating on the grass currently. that will be fixed shortly.

![](http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/BigNiko188/wattta.png)

Goblin camp is cool, but everything seems rather pristine there. I don't know how goblins are in your game, but generally they tend to be messy at best. In most games I couldn't see them keeping their cave-houses that nice. Of course, this entirely depends on how your game's goblins are.

@ Eckhart : Remember that's only what they look like above ground. Inside the caves will be un tidy. Plus I haven't finished the above ground aspect of the camp. It will seem much more goblin like when im finished.
@Chakkra I like the clutter look, and it will develop and evolve over time. These graphics are all apart of a giant forrest region of my game. Forrests aren't supposed to look clean and trimmed. There supposed to look, random and scattered, with twigs and rocks all over the place.

@Niko:

> @Chakkra I like the clutter look, and it will develop and evolve over time. These graphics are all apart of a giant forrest region of my game. Forrests aren't supposed to look clean and trimmed. There supposed to look, random and scattered, with twigs and rocks all over the place.

I hate it when games have forests with boring ground, just plain grass. It's pretty unrealistic. That said, I think you should make a couple more shrub/flower tiles to make it a bit less repetitive.

Yes I agree, and im working on making more ground details so its less repetitive. Going to add some regular stumps around, a few different flowers for some added color. Theres going to be lots of rivers and ponds and such throughout the forests with docks to fish from ex. going to do a few more types of rocks, some twigs, a few bushes and other vegetation. Hopefully the end product will be well worth the mapping pains.

Also I just updated the screenshot for the goblin hideout on page one. Better or worse? Whats everyone thinking?

Heres a new addition, the water island type transitions. take a peek.
![](http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/BigNiko188/watershowoof.png)