Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which is the best video game in the world!!!?

Gavinie

I don't have a personal favourite, but I do have numerous games that have been released not so long ago that I find myself playing a lot, these are:

| **Alan Wake** |
| Alan Wake, the protagonist, of what is his own story, is a bestselling writer who favours writing psychological thrillers. Being affected by writer's block for the past few years, he decides to go on a holiday to a small, but fictional town named Bright Falls, Washington with his wife, where his wife vanishes mysteriously, which immediately sets the plot for his new book. The game tends to be interesting in the sense that Alan Wake is both the writer and the protagonist, with some very bizarre elements: such as having to find pages throughout the game, that he didn't seem to have written. One of the major elements in the game is that his wife suffers from achluophobia, which will become apparent at the start of the game. This has led to the introduction of some very interesting game mechanics, where you simply can't shoot your enemies, but where you have to use your torch as well to make them vulnerable to your shots. On top of that, well-lit places are considered safe zones. Personally, I think that Alan Wake is one of the most artistically engaging games, because of the way the story line is set up. However, I can imagine that this game may not be everyone's cup of tea, in which case watching any "Let's Play" without a commentator may be considered, since it is well worth it. |

| **Orcs Must Die!** |
| Orcs Must Die! and Orcs Must Die! 2 are pretty much tower-defence games, in the sense that you have to fend off orcs from reaching the Rift, which is basically a source of power. The plot itself is rather simplistic: as the wizard has been defending the Rift for several hundred years, his life finally comes to an end, leading to his apprentice having to protect the Rift instead. In the game you are given weapons, magical items, and traps that can be placed almost everywhere (although most of them are limited to either the floor, the walls or the ceiling). Orcs Must Die!, on the one hand, offers a simplistic upgrade system, where you can purchase single upgrades for your traps. In addition to that, you eventually get access to the Weavers (which allow you to purchase certain additional abilities for either your character or your traps during a map). Orcs Must Die! 2, on the other hand, being merely an improvement of Orcs Must Die!, offers a more complicated upgrade system instead, replacing the Weavers completely. In addition to that you also have access to vanity items and trinkets, the latter granting you passive and active abilities to use. I think Orcs Must Die! 2 is a great game to play with a friend, since one of the major changes has been the introduction of co-operative play, that was absent in Orcs Must Die! itself. Although, you can play Orcs Must Die! 2 with a friend, it's not obligatory. Orcs Must Die! 2 is as much as Orcs Must Die! a single player game. If you are in for some great fun, I really recommend this game. |

| **PAYDAY: The Heist** |
| PAYDAY: The Heist is a co-operative first-person shooter, where four criminals join up to rob banks, steal diamonds and other such criminal activities. I think this game has a lot of potential, and is great fun to play occasionally. However, there are a few issues with the game. The first being that there originally were six maps to play. With the L4D2 update, an additional map has been added to the game, and one can now purchase the DLC to add two new maps. This generally results into the fact that the game can get very repetitive after a while. Even though the maps are rather scarce, the level design makes every map unique, and interesting to play, and I personally feel that this is one of the great strenghts of the game. This brings me to the second issue, which is the fact, that most maps have two ways of playing them: the perfect one, and the tough one after screwing up. Some maps are incredibly hard to play in a perfect fashion, the most noticeable being the Diamond Heist map, which can end up being very frustrating, but it's usually very rewarding to do so, since the playthrough of the maps tends to be completely different. The problem being, that you usually need three to four players for all of the maps in order to even attempt to play them in a perfect fashion. On top of that, the game offers three skill trees (and an additional one if you buy the DLC) in which you can level up and unlock new weapons, and upgrades. Since the game is very difficult on its own, and even tends to be when you have a high reputation level, these are pretty much essential. I think that even though the game has a few issues, it's still a great game to play with your friends. |

| **Trine** |
| Trine and Trine 2 are side-scrolling action-based platform games involving numerous puzzles. The game is essentially a bed-time story about Zoya, the thief; Amadeus, the wizard; and Pontius, the knight, who have come in touch with an artifact named the Trine, known for its ability to bind souls. After being affected by the Trine, they, naturally, seek a way to undo its effect. One of the most interesting elements of this game is the fact that you can switch between the three characters, who all have their very own strenghts and weaknesses. Most of the puzzles, for instances, have several solutions, depending on the character you are using, and some areas are usually more easily accessed by the specific use of one of the characters. Even though Trine and Trine 2 are 2.5D games (3D scene, but 2D engagement), they are graphically astonishing, and they artisically fit the story well, as it tends to feel like an actual bed-time story. |

| **Note** |
| Your mileage may vary. |

I might eventually end up adding some more games to this list, since I've only listed four games, thus far, of all the games I fancy playing.

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.

> Deus Ex, or Deus Ex Revolution?
>
> Or are they the same game?

The first one. Human Revolution is a close second though ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png).

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

**Uncharted 2: Among Thieves**

**Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception**

Tales of Phantasia

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced

Fire Emblem

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stone

Pokemon Silver

Pokemon Sapphire

Dead Space

Silent Hill 2

Silent Hill 3

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Silent Hill Homecoming

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

There are a lot of good games in this world. I haven't played them all, but from the games I've played, my favorite game would be Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. Just behind it, in second place, there is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and last but not least, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

> To this day, Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced has been the best game i have played. It was awesome.

I LOVED this game so much, I completed all 300 missions (except I think there was more then that, I vaguely remember some were repeatable ?). The story was good as well, and that's probably why I finished all 300 missions.

I think the top 4 games would be:

* Ocarina of Time (I know, I know, but I have good reasons… I was stuck on the game for about half a year because I could never figure out that when I got silver scale, I had to go underneath the tunnel into Lake Hylia so that I can find the message in the bottle. I just wondered round finding the golden skeleton spiders, and I never did anything else. I must've tried using din's fire on King Zora a thousand times, so that he could move so could get to Zabu Zabu...., I was playing on a small TV at the time, so I didn't think much of it, but I ultimately remembered that I really wanted to progress in the game, but I just couldn't, which makes this game stand out for me... still love it though).
* Donkey Kong 64 - Loved the adventure, another story is that you know those game call centers where you get cheats. I was stuck on this game because this game relies on a lot of puzzle solving and you don't really know where to go half the time. I spent 70 odd dollars on a cheats hot line trying to solve some of the stuff in the game. My parents wasn't very amused at the time, and I remember, remembering the numbers that I needed to press to access the cheats for DK64 so that I could get to it faster (they charged per minute).
* Golden Eye - Me and my brother played this ALOT, and Facility was so much fun. (Golden Gun in toilet…...)
* Final Fantasy IV - One of the first RPG's I played, and I liked the story when I was a kid. I liked how everyone came back in the finale, for that I was really happy because this was the first game in the series where the characters had their own backgrounds. Everyone sacrifices themselves to get you to the end. I got attached to the characters, and was sad when one party member would leave me one by one. So the ending was very much a memory for me.

Anyway some to mention: I loved Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, I was surprised that they made the game such a good RPG. I loved the cameos. Grandia 2 was good until I deleted my game save some how, so I could never find out what happened to the vampire girl… Ofcourse Pokemon, but I think everyone has memories of that game here.

• 2 weeks later...