Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I change the overall max players who can join my server?

The topic states it all. I have downloaded Visual Basic 6, trying editing the "Max_Players" slot in the modconstants area in both the client and server as based on other posts here about this issue that was the only method I saw to increase player numbers but I am going to assume that just changes how many player can join a map, as whenever I play around with the numbers it never results in an increase in max players who can join the server, which is not what I want, I want to increase the overall limit of how many players can join my server from 70 to a higher number, not how many can join a map. I am not very knowledgeable on file editing using visual basic so a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this possible would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to any who respond and help! I am using Eclipse Worlds engine version 1.2.7, in case that is relevant at all to helping make this possible. Thanks again!

MAX_PLAYERS is what you want. Whatever the value of MAX_PLAYERS is, is how many players can join the server. One way to check is to open up the server, head over to the Players tab and scroll down to the bottom of the listbox. The last entry should show you the max number of players.

@'PD':

> MAX_PLAYERS is what you want. Whatever the value of MAX_PLAYERS is, is how many players can join the server. One way to check is to open up the server, head over to the Players tab and scroll down to the bottom of the listbox. The last entry should show you the max number of players.

Hmm well no matter what changes I make through visual basic 6.0 on the files the changes are never saved despite I hitting "Save Project". But then again when I load up VB6, more specifically the files for Eclipse, I always get tons of errors, so perhaps there is something wrong with my version of VB6, perhaps didn't install correctly or something. *Sigh* This is all such a pain. I wish things were easier. Are there any other programs that can be used to make permanent changes? Also tried notepad but it also didn't keep the changes as permanent so not sure what to do. Any ideas on what my next step should be?

@'MightyMiguel':

> *Sigh* This is all such a pain. I wish things were easier.

It is easy when you use it correctly. I understand that this is new to you, but this comes across as whiny. It failed because you didn't correctly compile it, not because it's hard to change.

It's similar to what Growl says, it's File > Make <>.exe.
You must be using Visual Basic 6 Professional or Enterprise. Portable will not compile the source code.

@'Exception':

> @'MightyMiguel':
>
> > *Sigh* This is all such a pain. I wish things were easier.
>
> It is easy when you use it correctly. I understand that this is new to you, but this comes across as whiny. It failed because you didn't correctly compile it, not because it's hard to change.
>
> It's similar to what Growl says, it's File > Make <>.exe.
> You must be using Visual Basic 6 Professional or Enterprise. Portable will not compile the source code.

Am using Enterprise but now everytime I select "Make" I keep getting an "Overflow" error on both the Client and Server Modconstants which doesn't allow the "make" process to go further. So what should I do now then?

Could you post the line that it is erroring on?

An overflow error means that you're using a number too high/low for the provided data type (for example, you cannot use a number higher than 255/lower than 0 with a Byte, cannot be higher than 32767/lower than -32766 with a [VB6] Integer, etc)

@'Exception':

> Could you post the line that it is erroring on?
>
> An overflow error means that you're using a number too high/low for the provided data type (for example, you cannot use a number higher than 255/lower than 0 with a Byte, cannot be higher than 32767/lower than -32766 with a [VB6] Integer, etc)

Okay see, I didn't know that about bytes. I literally know absolutely nothing about visual basic or how bytes or anything work. I just want to increase the player amount. I had previously put near the byte amount how many players I wanted on the server, but now I see that is not how that was supposed to work. So I put 255, and it fixed that error, but now I have another error stalling the process in the server modconstants. The screenshot is attached below this post of the new error that has appeared.

@'Growlith1223':

> you haven't even installed the Eclipse Runtimes.

That is false. That was the first thing I did when I got the Eclipse Origins file. I may be a nub with VB6, but I certainly am not THAT dumb! Please refrain from posting unless you offer help for my particular situation! Thank you!

uhhhh, you asked for help, i have provided help? since you want to be rude, im going to say you certainly are THAT dumb because that issue has been discussed thousands of times on this forums for years upon years, whether you have the skill to google that is up to you, but a simple search will fix that error. you didn't even try to fix the msComCTL issue yourself did you

@'Growlith1223':

> uhhhh, you asked for help, i have provided help? since you want to be rude, im going to say you certainly are THAT dumb because that issue has been discussed thousands of times on this forums for years upon years, whether you have the skill to google that is up to you, but a simple search will fix that error. you didn't even try to fix the msComCTL issue yourself did you

…..I am not even going to waste my time here. I'll let the moderators deal with you. Good day to you sir.

@'Lavos':

> Try these links here:
> http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/thread-85632.html
> or
> http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/thread-2936.html

Thank you for actually being one of the few who were actually HELPFUL in responses and attempted to aid me. I'll go over those two threads and edit this post with my results. Thank you kindly!

@'Lavos':

> Try these links here:
> http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/thread-85632.html
> or
> http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/thread-2936.html

Meh tried them links but didn't work for me. Meh perhaps I should just give up and accept the 70 cap fate and accept the fact I may never be able to ever surpass 70 players ever in my game's existence. Thanks anyways for trying. :s

On the source project click on modConstants and change Public Const MAX_PLAYERS As Byte = 70 to 255 on both server and client, most eclipse based engines support up to 255 because of the datatype being used. There is a way to get it to go higher but you must change the byte datatype. I suggest you look into types of data on the internet. I hope this solution resolves this matter, good luck.

Do remember to download a fresh copy of the source once you've applied these fixes.. Your source (having been saved) may have already been corrupted.

It also seems MSCOMCTL is being a prick on your end, but I can't for the life of me recall how I resolved that the last time I had problems with it. The supplied fixes however, have you tried forcing them to run in administrator mode?

@'Joyce':

> Do remember to download a fresh copy of the source once you've applied these fixes.. Your source (having been saved) may have already been corrupted.
>
> It also seems MSCOMCTL is being a prick on your end, but I can't for the life of me recall how I resolved that the last time I had problems with it. The supplied fixes however, have you tried forcing them to run in administrator mode?

How do I get a new fresh copy of the source? And also, every time I download a supplied fix it asks me to browse. I am actually not quite sure where visual basic 6 goes. Should have paid attention. Anyone know the whereabouts of its location on the hard drive? I couldn't find it under the various areas I looked. And does anyone know how to fix the MSCOMCTL error then? Anyone recall? Such information would be very useful. Tried downloading hotfixes for it off of the web but unfortunately didn't help much. Anymore help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :(

@'Akrivus':

> What is the value of MAX_PLAYERS?

I set it to 255 as accordingly that is the highest number as specified by the other users above me, however, the error always happens when it comes to trying to "make" or rather recompile the script and I am pulling my hair out here trying to figure out what's wrong. I'm about to find a professional in media arts or something to help me with this at like school or something like maybe a teacher or something because this is ridiculous. Why must it be so hard to increase overall player count?! Why?!?!?!?!?! Curse you, VB6! You are my mortal enemy from this day forward! :@

@'MightyMiguel':

> @'Akrivus':
>
> > What is the value of MAX_PLAYERS?
>
> I set it to 255 as accordingly that is the highest number as specified by the other users above me, however, the error always happens when it comes to trying to "make" or rather recompile the script and I am pulling my hair out here trying to figure out what's wrong. I'm about to find a professional in media arts or something to help me with this at like school or something like maybe a teacher or something because this is ridiculous. Why must it be so hard to increase overall player count?! Why?!?!?!?!?! Curse you, VB6! You are my mortal enemy from this day forward! :@

Try setting it to 100 and see what happens, I'm not sure why it'd overflow when you're putting in a clearly manageable number.

@'Akrivus':

> @'MightyMiguel':
>
> > @'Akrivus':
> >
> > > What is the value of MAX_PLAYERS?
> >
> > I set it to 255 as accordingly that is the highest number as specified by the other users above me, however, the error always happens when it comes to trying to "make" or rather recompile the script and I am pulling my hair out here trying to figure out what's wrong. I'm about to find a professional in media arts or something to help me with this at like school or something like maybe a teacher or something because this is ridiculous. Why must it be so hard to increase overall player count?! Why?!?!?!?!?! Curse you, VB6! You are my mortal enemy from this day forward! :@
>
> Try setting it to 100 and see what happens, I'm not sure why it'd overflow when you're putting in a clearly manageable number.

Oh no that was the origin error. Sorry that is not the problem anymore since I set it to that value. No now I got this weird MSCOM something error thing that is preventing progress. I attached the thumbnail again for your benefit. If you know how to fix that error, that'd be great! Thanks anyways in advance for any and all help on the matter! Truly it is much appreciated! :)

You need the Service Pack 6 for VB6 dependencies, which you can find here: www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5721

When you download and unpack it, **run it with administrator rights**. After you install it, you will **need to download another copy of the source code**, as you will have already corrupted the one you're currently using.

And finally.

"I'm about to find a professional in media arts or something to help me with this at like school or something like maybe a teacher or something because this is ridiculous."
I'd like to point out that this is a hobbyist forum. It will take effort to get something done with this, as there are no pre-built solutions, and that's just the nature of this. I said it before, and I'll say it again: this comes off as very whiny and entitled, and it's quite rude to those who are trying to help you.

While I will help and call out those who are providing incorrect support (everybody up until my last post, excluding Joyce and Mohenjo. I have reported their posts so they should be removed), I will [and have] gladly ignore[d] members that I start to find annoying.

As long as he hasn't saved any of the project files he's fine, they aren't "corrupted" it's just the server tabs are switched to Pictureboxes.

Also,

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11982719/vb6-ide-cannot-load-mscomctl-ocx-after-update-kb-2687323

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?706687-Windows-7-32-bit-MSCOMCTL-OCX-quot-could-not-be-loaded-quot

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?720229-mscomctl-ocx-could-not-be-loaded

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?740725-RESOLVED-MSCOMCTL-OCX-not-loaded

https://sockettools.com/kb/error-loading-visual-basic-examples/

http://hadsy.net/2013/07/31/VB6MSComctlFailsToLoadOnWindows764bitObjectLibraryNotRegistered.aspx

http://mattslay.com/installing-comctl32-ocx-and-mscomctl-ocx-on-a-windows-xp-machine/

this is why i know nobody searches.