Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which one is better? [Pixel Art]

Colonello

It's not pixel art that you should try to improve, but the way you're seeing things.
Light and Shadow plays the most important role in art, your brain tries to recognise the pattern your eyes are seeing.

In the 2nd example, there are too many light sources, very hard to achieve maybe even impossible [in real life] to give those shadows, in the first example is much better, the light source is coming from the upper left corner.
Try observing objects in real life, where the light hits them and where the shadow is casted, do not try with multiple light sources at first, you want to study not to fool your brain.
Because the brain can easily be deceived by what information your eyes give.

There is way too much to explain, you must see for your self, observe the world, see it with your eyes, study it, try figuring what is what and why is there.

Good luck!

@'Dr.House':

> It's not pixel art that you should try to improve, but the way you're seeing things.
> Light and Shadow plays the most important role in art, your brain tries to recognise the pattern your eyes are seeing.
>
> In the 2nd example, there are too many light sources, very hard to achieve maybe even impossible [in real life] to give those shadows, in the first example is much better, the light source is coming from the upper left corner.
> Try observing objects in real life, where the light hits them and where the shadow is casted, do not try with multiple light sources at first, you want to study not to fool your brain.
> Because the brain can easily be deceived by what information your eyes give.
>
> There is way too much to explain, you must see for your self, observe the world, see it with your eyes, study it, try figuring what is what and why is there.
>
> Good luck!

Thank you! I see exactly what you're saying. I do need to improve on the shadows, especially after seeing a few other tilesets and images online. I'll definitely try improving on those with whatever I make next. :)

@'Timty':

> Well, I like the one on the right is more realistic  :)

I do agree with you that it does look a bit more realistic besides probably it's shading. :) Thanks!

@'AcidTumbleweed':

> I think the first one would look better if the tree was skinnier.

True, it's trunk does look a little big especially compared to the leaves. Thanks for the feedback. :)

You asked for "style", the trunk CAN be that thick.
Look at chibi style, the head is bigger than it normally would be in real life, though, it is a style.

My point is, if what you drawn is recognisable as what you wanted that thing to be, then it's all good. [In this example is a palm tree, obviously, I recognised what it is, no need to make its trunk thinner]

Don't lose your main "picture" you had in your head when you drew those palm trees, adjusting to fit the reality will make it only uglier, repeatable, closer being a kitsch.
Stick to the style you had in mind, and adjust what is there to adjust like Light and Shadow for a better pattern for your brain to understand and a nicer look.

Honestly, I like the style of both.

• 2 months later...
First one has better lightning, better colors (yet not a better color combo, the colors clash because you didn't shade under the leaves and now the brown and green clash at full power)
Second one has better POV (the first one looks like it's trying to be a side-scroller tree, and a 2.5D tree at the same time to me), more pronounced shading yet, as @Dr.House said, too many light sources.
Overall? can't decide, both have different strong points, read what I and Dr.House said and good luck on your path through evolution.