Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Real-Space Buildings

Gahduvdeth

To this date, I haven't seen any Eclipse games that have something that I can only describe as buildings that occupy real-space.

Generally, when you enter a building, you're warped to a different map or a different portion of the map. The building doesn't occupy real-space. Because of this, it gives a sort of Time Lord effect, and the interior of a building is unrealistically larger or smaller than the exterior.

So, my team has decided to attempt making real-space buildings by using the engine's Event system.

[Here are the results. [hyperlink]](http://imgur.com/a/dp4Rq)

Now, I can understand why I haven't seen any other Eclipse games doing this, because it's a pain in the ass to do. But, it's totally worth it and leaves a pretty cool effect/illusion of making the game world seem that much more believable.

this is how im doing my zombie project it has real space buildings. I'm not using the event system for it  because that would cause some major lag. Getting away from the event system as much as possible.

If you map both maps the same size then it wont give that weird this building got huge effect.

This way of mapping is easier imo than the other because once you have the surface map made then you just copy paste the map as a new and edit to remove the roof and draw the inside.

Example
![](http://s14.postimg.org/sqa13t2oh/insideoutside.png)

It's not that people don't want to, or aren't able to do this. it's because large interiors, like a castle for example, would take up a very large part of the map. This also would be very difficult to achieve if you have multiple floors in a building.  To keep the map size as small as possible for your world design, the best way to do it is to use separate map files. Smaller maps allow the client to run at optimum speed, the larger the maps get, the slower the client will run.

Plus, there's some beautifully pixeled buildings, which make the maps look better. Just having brick cubes all over your map doesn't look very appealing.

I know Endless Waltz had roofs, great game as well. The reason roofs aren't always used is just as Xlithan said, takes up map space and most people don't want a map that's 90% the outside of a building because it's a big building, they want small areas to cross rather than 5 minutes of walking to go around a building, 5 seconds seems much nicer of a time to go around a building.

Do a Roof Layer tile

When player is inside the roof tile.. The roof will not be rendered

The easiest way to do it is
On RenderMapFringe (or whatever the name of the sub)

Before (note; check if the layer that is being rendered is roof)
Rendertexture blahblah

Add a if condition like
If player(myindex).x <> x and player(myindex).y <> y then

And thats how it solve your problem