Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

C++

Marsh

Here you go Sherwin : [List of C++ Compilers (Wikipedia)](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compilers#C.2B.2B_compilers)

Not the most up to date list, but most of that seems correct. There's a few different IDE's for it as well, the most "easy" to use and set up one for Windows would be Microsoft Visual C++ most likely. But it really depends on the preferences of the programmer and some features may differ slightly between them all.

Just to clarify this will not be a c++ Eclipse, so dont get your hopes up. Simply a engine people can use with c++. I will post the base then post tutorials until people can use it fully. Will be for the more advanced users, though it is not that hard to startup.

C++ is extremely easy to learn if you get the basics down. Anyone who wants to read a good reference should check out this book, taught me C++ in 2 months. [http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-Stephen-Prata/dp/0672326973/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347636910&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B+primer+plus+5th+edition](http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-Stephen-Prata/dp/0672326973/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347636910&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B+primer+plus+5th+edition)

Well i will teach people step by step how to use the engine and explain what each line of code does. Hopefully this will be enough. But reading up on some tutorials would really help. If you know how to use and make classes / pass by refrence you should be fine. Maybe some basic array knowledge and how to use functions.

Again this is for the more advanced coders or people who want to learn some real skills. The basics are given to you and you have to make the rest.

Marshy Dearest I think with a quality base we would have a bum candy load of development. I personally would use it just so I could avoid all the work I have to do after I finish my map generator. The basics are easy as bum candy to learn for c++ and having a engine to work with just makes it all the more fun to learn them.

> Is there any free C++ ??

Yeap.

There is Visual Studio C++ express. It is free.

There is [bloodshed C++](http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html) (no actual bloodshed ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png))

Just google the Visual Studios one.

I know the basics of C++ and some more advance stuff. I'd defiantly be interested in some kind of C++ engine and if you put one up I'd probably end up posting some tutorials on systems to add in like I'm doing with unknown's engine.

You saw the messed up C++ engine I was working with for Memoria. I'm not that great at setting up the core functions of engines which is why I never bothered to try and make one on my own, but once the core is setup I'm good at adding new features/systems in and know enough C++ to do that.

> Anyone who claims to know C++, and consider it to be easy at the same time, doesn't really know the language too well.
>
> Yours faithfully
>
> S.J.R. van Schaik.

In that case thousands of students everywhere in Computer Programs should have failed their classes. Learning the basics is easy, otherwise it would not be a single semester course at most colleges.

> In that case thousands of students everywhere in Computer Programs should have failed their classes. Learning the basics is easy, otherwise it would not be a single semester course at most colleges.

I don't see how whether someone is able to learn the basics or not has anything to do with my exact statement. If you just know the basics, you don't know the programming language too well, in which case you just confirmed my statement.

In addition to that, universities don't demand you to know a lot about any programming language at all. None of them require you to actually know how to programme professionally in any given programming language. All they expect from you is that you can pick up any programming language easily, and know most basic concepts. For instance, my university offers a course on C programming, they don't expect you to know how to use function pointers, they just expect you to know that they do exist. Similarly, for the course on Java programming, they don't expect you to know how to use generics, just that they do exist.

Yours faithfully

S.J.R. van Schaik.

> I don't see how whether someone is able to learn the basics or not has anything to do with my exact statement. If you just know the basics, you don't know the programming language too well, in which case you just confirmed my statement.
>
> In addition to that, universities don't demand you to know a lot about any programming language at all. None of them require you to actually know how to programme professionally in any given programming language. All they expect from you is that you can pick up any programming language easily, and know most basic concepts. For instance, my university offers a course on C programming, they don't expect you to know how to use function pointers, they just expect you to know that they do exist. Similarly, for the course on Java programming, they don't expect you to know how to use generics, just that they do exist.
>
> Yours faithfully
>
> S.J.R. van Schaik.

Your statement said that anyone who finds C++ easy does not know the language very well. Yet the basics make up the foundation for anything that you are trying to learn. There is not a single post in which someone said that they think C++ as a whole is easy. They all referenced the fact that they either know the basics or that knowing the basics makes it easier. So yes knowing the basics has everything to do with your statement. Also many colleges prepare their students to program on a professional level.