Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Eclipse? No problem.. But, what do you desire?

Socuine

Hello,

So it's been a while since we jumped from SMF to IP.B, in time we've dealt with most technical and user issues, so I guess we're doing pretty good now, right?

Most of the important features works, there are still some smaller issues that needs to be fixed.

However, on a more 'design' point of view, I don't think there's alot of enthuasiasm regarding this new theme. I know you all enjoyed the old SMF look, so I want your opinions.

How do you envision Eclipse in a design point of view. Simplicity? Modern? Gothic? Distorded?

I'll use your opinion to come up with something that which Eclipse used years, and still will use years.

Socuine

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> I miss old forums, but I am ok with these as well. Only thing I miss is a list of few most recent posts on the forum that used to be down on the website.

Yea i find myself missing recent topics at the bottom aswell. Was just so much easier to scroll and click. That and a shoutbox attached to the left hand side loaded on every page. Made everything much more active.

I have asked Aero if he can expand the forum width to everyones screen size. If that is enabled i can see if i can get a shoutbox on the side.

> If you impliment a sidebar shoutbox it should be optional. I personally hated when it was like that and found my self turned off of using it.

Can't do that. The shoutbox only supports one configuration, I can either make it at the top, or in the sidebar. It will be set the same for everyone. (Which reminds me, if the shoutbox momentarily disappears, or did disappear, for anyone, my bad. Working on the sidebar stuff.)

Thanks,

Aeroplane

> I wanna go 2 column style. I wanna have a small shoutbox on the left with recent posts and the forum on the right like the black ones had.

I want tits, we can't all have our way ![:(](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.png)

Really though, the forum looks good overall; but i did like the old one better.

Really? Do you guys prefer it on the top? I thought the shoutbox and recent topics on the left worked so great. Easy to access everything. The shoutbox was also more active becouse it was easy to show on every page and not just the forum index.

Thoughts others?

Personally I think the new forum is great, and took very little to get used to. Some of the new features are brilliant. As for 'themes', I'm happy with the current one. From my point of view, changing it to something more specific will cause different people to either 'hate' it or 'love it', which may or may not be conflicting. Perhaps something simple but desirable, without being too extreme. Either that, or optionality of choosing a theme.

The recent topic window was great, thankfully the 'new content' is literally identical except shows more new content, so I have no complaints about that either.

I honestly have no complaints about the way the forum currently is. I'd struggle to make a suggestion. From a design point of view, if I were to make any opinion about a theme, I'd probably suggest keeping away from distorted or gothic themes. Sure it might seem 'cool' to some members or emotional teenagers, but in general I think it would pull away from the pure fun and aspirations the community and game designers share, and degrade the overall feel of the forum.

> Really? Do you guys prefer it on the top? I thought the shoutbox and recent topics on the left worked so great. Easy to access everything. The shoutbox was also more active becouse it was easy to show on every page and not just the forum index.
>
> Thoughts others?

I like it on top too! ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

> Really? Do you guys prefer it on the top? I thought the shoutbox and recent topics on the left worked so great. Easy to access everything. The shoutbox was also more active becouse it was easy to show on every page and not just the forum index.
>
> Thoughts others?

Marshy Dearest every time I come onto the site I scroll to the bottom of the page looking for the recent topics. You guys have already brainwashed that reflex into me.

I want 186 in the Announcements category. Oh, and recent topics returning to it's rightful place down on the page or to the side.

>
> Thoughts others?

Yes, I prefer it on top. While I agree it worked great on the left and I kind of miss it there, it was kind of small in width so everytime you posted a long sentence it ended up being a huge message when it comes to height. And because of that it became difficult to read previous messages because they ended up being forced downwards.

I'd like to see that website hosting feature you mentioned in an article, A place to get a few pages of space for your project would be nice.

Other than that, a retro green skin from the previous forum on SMF would be cool,just to switch it up for those who used it originally.

I am constantly working with Aero to add features to the forum etc. Socuine is also working to improve graphics.I am working on some new engine tutorials, though i am guessing that will be a bit of a waste of time. If that money comes in will have a cash contest for Eclipse. But we will see what happens there. Got Devogen working on some front page graphics as it currently needs a revamp. Going to start making a game with the new c++ codebase to show people what it can do. Programming contests come sunday!

I really want to offer web hosting but theyre is huge hacking issues and it is hard to automate. But all these suggestions are great as we can implament them and make the community a lot better.