Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Developer

Marsh

> Why would you want UDP? UDP is more for p2p type of networking. TCP is more trustworthy, and managing packets would become a much bigger mess in my opinion.
>
> I think anyone who wants to improve the core engine and not add more features would be a good replacement, but good luck to whoever wants to take Jscinder's place.

If UDP worked, then it would be faster, wouldn't it? Granted it requires more code and is probably more complicated.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could do UDP implementation thing is said developer working on the system would either have to a. work up a code to account for the problems with UDP as the main connection, which can be difficult or b. Use a hybrid TCP/UDP system, which is more feasible.

> We could do UDP implementation thing is said developer working on the system would either have to a. work up a code to account for the problems with UDP as the main connection, which can be difficult or b. Use a hybrid TCP/UDP system, which is more feasible.

Easier said then done.

Oh of course it is more difficult General, but people talk about switching over to UDP when that's really the only way that works, and clearly such a system would be difficult to accomplish. TCP has worked ever since Eclipse started, we just need to do some streamlining and optimization along the way, Eclopti had already fixed some things that increased CPS I believe.

Eclopti has done many things to massively decrease RAM usage, and a couple of things to decrease CPU usage. CPS should generally have increased for most.

I ain't doing any UDP system, though. There's no ultimate point. Gonna have to wait for somebody else to come along, first.

• 3 weeks later...
if **Stein** continue UpDate his custom engein(EclipseDawn) that will be grate!

common when you look in his engein you see alot features and alot new things and i think to he need to be new dev if he come back agen!

he was doing grate job whit his custom engein!!!!!!!!! **Stein,Stein,Stein** !!!

As much as I would 'love' to, people sadly have more important business to attend to than creating and supporting an engine. And as long as I am unable to properly support an engine, and at least work on it once a day then I don't feel like it is up to me to even bother with such a thing. Growing up is a female dog, especially when you work 12 hours a day. And besides, how many people here would really be happy with me removing all their shiny tools and making it more complex? ;]

> As much as I would 'love' to, people sadly have more important business to attend to than creating and supporting an engine. And as long as I am unable to properly support an engine, and at least work on it once a day then I don't feel like it is up to me to even bother with such a thing. Growing up is a female dog, especially when you work 12 hours a day. And besides, how many people here would really be happy with me removing all their shiny tools and making it more complex? ;]

if **Stein** continue UpDate his custom engein(EclipseDawn) that will be grate!

common when you look in his engein you see alot features and alot new things and i think to he need to be new dev if he come back agen!

he was doing grate job whit his custom engein!!!!!!!!! **Stein,Stein,Stein** !!!

• 2 weeks later...
> That's the right attitude for a dev.

So making an engine that had a lot of things people have been asking for on this site for a long time and releasing it open source to everyone and filling out requests by people normally within the same day they asked for the feature is not the kind of attitude you want from the new Eclipse vb6 Developer?

Although my post may not show much excitement that has nothing to do with the coding and time I put into EM it just means I honestly don't see it winning over Rob's engine. Just because I want to be the new developer doesn't mean I should be delusional and act like I am the best coder to ever live or join these forums…..

See your reading what you want to read.

You said "Don't see it winning". Why even participate with that kind of attitude. Why even submit it if you think it won't win. I just can't wrap my head arond your logic. It has nothing to do with your invested time or effort.

If someone thinks his work is not good enough, why would he want to be dev. And why would the community want him as a dev for that matter.

Not saying my work isn't good enough to be the Developer, just saying my work is not the best code ever made and someone else's might be better then me.

If you honestly think no one could code better then you, you are lying to yourself or are far to egotistical for your own good. Just because you may not always win a contest, doesn't mean you shouldn't bother trying. No one knows who's going to win any contest and I could end up winning it, Rob could or Death could. Just because I don't think theres a 100% chance I'm going to win this doesn't mean I should just give up and not try. People seem to like my version of Eclipse and many use it and make request for it, so it appears there are people who like my style and my systems/features so yes, I do have a chance at winning this.

Just an FYI and I only want to share this because regardless of who wins I think this is a good process and I plan to implement it should I get picked, though like I said, whoever becomes te VB6 dev should focus on the community. We have a lot of talented people here with great knowledge to improve Eclipse and build the official version to something we all want. That being said, if people are fine with it, in my head I see the Developer spot as more of just the project lead and making sure its rolled out properly, someone who can easily identify an issue and correct it.

My vision is this, I would simply give the source to say Seraku (probably misspelled your name I'm on my iPhone) and let him optimize the client, add him into the credits, check over his work for grammatical errors and consistency with the rest of the code, then get General General Pony to work on fixing the server side of things.

With all the talent here and willingness to help, we should be doing this as a community. It shouldn't be a dictatorship with one developer deciding what's going into the engine but rather a leader who is nothing without the communtiy.