Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which engine would be best for me?

Colonello

Hey everyone, I'm currently on the search for the best engine that would suit my needs. Currently I know a decent chunk of Java and I hear it's easy to transition to C# so engines that use either of those would be nice. Preferably I'd like it to either be free or below $100 as well. Anyway I'd like to make 2D Undertale-esque game (if you've yet to play it it's similar to traditional RPG games). If possible I'd like to be able to release it to more platforms than just Windows (but this is not necessary). Thanks for your help in advance! :)

I've been learning how to program with Game Maker and it seems pretty nice so far. I haven't used RPG Maker MV yet but it seems pretty nice as well.

Here is a link to a playlist that covers the basics of programming and how to use Game Maker through making a basic RPG. Just in case you are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB2alpO62GM&list=PL9FzW-m48fn2ug_FSNnfozQs3qYlBNyTd

Hmm, if you want it an mmo, use eclipse or XtremeWorlds(XtremeWorlds lets you change the scripting)
Another would be game maker, you can use programming or no, whatever you want.
If you want an engine without programming, use hyper pad(I'm not sure if you can get this on pc, but you can get it on iOS touchscreen devices). This software is really, I mean REALLY good, and it's really easy to use(plus, you can publish it on the app).

Hope this helps,
Seki

Undertale was made with Game Maker.

At its core, Undertale is a pretty simple game that simply stores a lot of detail about what the player has done. Overall, I wouldn't think too hard about what to use and just get on with picking and getting something done.

@'Exception':

> Undertale was made with Game Maker.
>
> At its core, Undertale is a pretty simple game that simply stores a lot of detail about what the player has done. Overall, I wouldn't think too hard about what to use and just get on with picking and getting something done.

I do plan on starting to learn an engine tonight. So far GameMaker appears to be my best bet and what I'm leaning towards.

@'Mohenjo:

> Maybe try Duality? Google works wonders lol, if you find an engine you like, feel free to share it with us :D Wave engine might be good too? Not looking very far into these, just naming a couple

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check both of them out. :)