Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Regarding Optimization Requests

Mutedwar

Every single person who has said "optimize your code" first off if you can't run this by now you probably should not be using a kitchen appliance you can pickup a cheap decent computer anywhere from any company now a days so go and do that.

Look how many years this source has been out and its still just as buggy and screwed as it was before it was released to the public, so obviously if your the guy crying telling him instead of adding features he should optimize the code NO ONE KNOWS HOW! or it would have been done within it's 11 year lifespan.

On another note I would not be here if we weren't moving forward and in the past 5 months we have had bigger achievements released to the public then we have had in the last 11 years so gj. So quit being negative lots of you are delusional and its really sad and I know why most of you that are negative make some really absurd comments that really show you know nothing about coding or the topic you are commenting on. Especially the optimize shit.

people know how to optimize it they just dont generally relaease it to the public, and its not because we have shitty computers, its because we want people who play our game to be able to regardless of how old the pc they own is. Obviously you know nothing about this. And stop being such a noob and add the features you want yourself. you really must not get the point of all this anyway.

In other words, using clearly broken procedures and stuff that has been knowingly written inefficiently is correct in your view? Also, there is a reason we tell people to make stuff run more efficiently. Why? Because we want our programs to perform as best they can. If you're willing to deal with a broken engine overloaded with features that bog it down, be my guest. Make one and use it, but for publicly released ones(especially those aiming to become official!!) should really focus on efficiency and clean code. Not feature whoreing.

Anyway it'd be nice if you don't purposely call out a flamewar. So I'm just going to remove that part~ There's also zero need to use such angry language all the time.

If it's been inefficient for 11 years obviously the average user or the person requesting the optimization its not going to be fixed. I'm not talking about the everyday features we get here and there or changes, yes that stuff if your implementing it you should make sure it's optimized.

For the comment of people not releasing there optimized code I can only imagine we have all seen some pretty insane projects spawn from the base of this engine and those were just previews of what they were working on.

I'm talking to the people who request an optimization every time someone posts a Custom Version or wants to bash on anything they can. All I'm saying is Obviously if EO 3.0 is out and your telling them to optimize that before you do any useless features that people most likely want that is just absurd. If it was that easy then we would have 3.1,2,3,4 etc within the next week.

I guess I'm just angry that everyone acts like god around here and just wants to flame or bash others over useless or irrelevant comments. There are so many people here and there is so much talent and potential but we only ever see any of it on a rare occasion.

Mind you, I'm assuming we're talking of Deatbeam's work here.. His older work, was so inefficient you couldn't even get it to run proper on modern machines. His more recent stuff gets better and better as he progresses, but we do keep pushing him to optimize it for a reason.

eo 3.0 is bugged as hell in case you haven't noticed. the reason people want it optimized is because its terribly inefficient, seriously fmod crashes at random? just doing some simple optimizations ive cuz my memory usage in half on my game. it just makes way more sense to have a stable base to work on than a buggy feature packed code. And adding tons of features to the source is pointless when not all games are going to use all the features. and unused features are a waste of space and actually slow your game down. and its been 11 years? hmm that sounds like plenty of time to learn how to code.

> eo 3.0 is bugged as hell in case you haven't noticed. the reason people want it optimized is because its terribly inefficient, seriously fmod crashes at random? just doing some simple optimizations ive cuz my memory usage in half on my game. it just makes way more sense to have a stable base to work on than a buggy feature packed code. And adding tons of features to the source is pointless when not all games are going to use all the features. and unused features are a waste of space and actually slow your game down. and its been 11 years? hmm that sounds like plenty of time to learn how to code.

That's a great point and also goes to show any project, custom version, official version I have ever used nothing has worked 100% and it's been like this for 11 years. Nothing is going to change I see you figured out how to fix some things the way you wanted and ever since I got my old copy of vb6 studio off craigslist I have been learning a lot and how bad a lot of this stuff is put together. So those who are crying about it need to stop crying about it. We have enough here to make an optimized base engine but no one has released it no one ever will so the point of people saying "optimize your shit before you release it" do it yourself or don't cry about it. Why are we bashing random people playing around releasing stuff with features u might think are useless when were all sitting around supporting an official base engine that is bugged and unoptimized as hell.

you might wanna look into this. someone actually has been working on optimizing 3.0 for a little while tho. and no one really bashes new features, its just most custom versions are just a blank eo stuffed to the gills with tutorials and every one i have ever tried was buggy as hell. Its just seems smarter to actually fix the bugs as you add the features, also some of the tutorials are written in a highly inefficient way that just makes the game run slower and crash more often ya know? here is a link to the optimization project tho

http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/129782-eclopti-rekindled/

> Mind you, I'm assuming we're talking of Deatbeam's work here.. His older work, was so inefficient you couldn't even get it to run proper on modern machines. His more recent stuff gets better and better as he progresses, but we do keep pushing him to optimize it for a reason.

I'm not just talking about deathbeams work but that could be used as an example. I also can't vouch for his stuff running better because I have a computer with at least 1GB of Ram or more and I'm not running a 700mhz Pentium Processor the last time I did this was back in the 90's and I remember hacking the front of my pc case's digi box to say 700+mhz it wasn't even 700mhz lol.

This also brings up a valid point here Joyce I have never ran this stuff on a low end computer so performance wise I have never been able to test and if it runs like shit and could run better I guess you have proved me wrong about the optimization argument.

> [http://www.touchofde…opti-rekindled/](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/129782-eclopti-rekindled/)

Awesome link there I totally overlooked this project, I'm taking a look now and it looks really promising thanks for the link!

plus if you ever wanna have more than like 20 people on your server you might have issues. i played Prospkt (deathbeams game) and it actually used more memory than minecraft, seriously a 2d game should never use that much memory or processing power. no problem its still a work in progress but its worth keeping up on.

here is the original git if you wanna see all the updates from the begining https://github.com/AwakenedSorrow/Eclopti/commits/master

> If it's been inefficient for 11 years obviously the average user or the person requesting the optimization its not going to be fixed. I'm not talking about the everyday features we get here and there or changes, yes that stuff if your implementing it you should make sure it's optimized.

Just because it's not been done, doesn't mean it's not been wanted.

If you really think that much of not needing to optimise things, then, go ahead, nobody really cares.

Don't bash those that are making an effort (Especially as I do see this as a bit of a personal attack), especially when they're getting nothing from it.

I'd rather have a fast, optimised stable engine that I could then add features into, than a slow, unstable engine which loads of features which I won't use half of.

A better but more basic engine is always going to be better than another that has more features but is buggy. Heck, look at all of the other Eclipse versions (Evolution comes to mind) that are buggy and so aren't supported anymore.