Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse - Some Unique Name Here

Rob Janes

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely beautiful. Professional, easy to use, and tons of options.I can't wait to see what you add in the future, but if I may put in my little 2 cents…

Tab target - I have no idea if you can do this, but targeting the closest thing to you or auto-targeting something when you attack (ctrl) it I feel like would be huge. Maybe just another something to put in your new spiffy options menu.

Key config - Using F1-F12 makes sense for normal Eclipse, but now that we have WASD, it'd be sweet to be able to rebind those to 1-=. So speaking of that fancy options menu... ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png).

Multiple NPC drops - Sorry if this has been said before, just saying, it'd be nice :3

Debuffs - Same as buffs, but taking away stats instead of increasing them (for NPC mobs and PvP). These would be a different form of buff that do NOT stack (can only have 1 of the buff per player, unlike how you have buffs set up) and do not have a max buff limit (well, it would, but maybe more like 10 or 5 rather than 2).

Buff stacking option in server settings tab - This way we can increase the buff limit to more than 2, but not be worried players will stack their buffs on themselves over and over again. I know it's just been implemented, but I'd love to see that tab be used for a ton of stuff ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Have quests/achieves/guilds be configured in the Event Editor - Personally, I hate NPCs, and I'd love to see characters be able to accept and complete quests from the event editor, IF this can be done.

Have quests toggle switches - SO much story development can happen if you add this. Please. (Example: Complete quest to kill 5 Bees, after quest is complete, change switch BeeQuestComplete to ON, this way doing quests will unlock all sorts of things, and not just 1 item, money, and EXP).

Change the speed of projectiles to our liking - This can probably already be done in VB6 anyway ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png), but it might be cool for specific weapons (guns are faster than bows, etc).

Pet system? - Pet systems are over rated, and there's tons more that needs to be done before this is touched, but hey, they're fun to play with. This would be a beautiful thing to see right before release, especially because you have a way of making everything so user friendly.

Maybe different screen/UI???? - Who knows, just throwing out ideas. Ya know, being a consumer and all.

Thank you SO much for even looking at this. Sorry I said so much, kinda wanted to be picky because I wanna see this become the best it can be. I'd love to see this be the engine I use, you're doing an amazing job at an amazing rate (LOVE your buff system). Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Tab targeting - excellent idea, will do that first thing tomorrow.

Key config - another excellent idea, will also tackle this tomorrow.

Multiple NPC drops - I've considered redesigning the drop system so that loot opens in a separate window (think WoW style)

Debuffs - this is technically doable now, by using a - value for the stats you can decrease someone's stats. Though I like the idea of expanding on it a bit more to include common debuff features. I'll get back to you on this.

Quest variables - interesting concept, I like it. I'll likely add something similar, but not so advanced. It'll probably come down to another variable in the quest editor listed as "prerequisite" which means the quest would not be available until another quest or switch has been completed.

Projectile speed can be changed via the server and youd also need to speed up the Projectile_speed variable in the client as well, projectiles move a bit different than players or npcs as its a fluid, continual motion without stopping but processed server side.

Pet System - oh, it's coming, so is guilds, achievements and mounts.

Different UI - I want this so bad, I'm just horrible at photoshop.

Actually what I'll do is keep Quest Givers and Events two separate things, it's just easier now that I have built it this way, however I'll add the option for chain quests in the quest editor and I'll also add an option in events so that you can select "has completed quest" as a condition for an event.

Hey Rob, to improve gameplay is there any way to have an option so that physical attacks(like with a sword) knocks or slides the npc back one tile? Giving the illusion that the NPC is being struck by a hard blow. I think this could improve the combat system in EO. Just an idea.

> I had done that by design, it just means you're on a quest and you have more than enough to turn it in.
>
> I can remove this so it doesn't display after you've completed the quest if need be,

Or just do this:

When you have killed the required amount for complete the quest and you kill again the monster, it will appear this message:

You have already killed 5/5 monsters. Go talk with x npc.

This will be useful and nice ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

> Hey Rob, to improve gameplay is there any way to have an option so that physical attacks(like with a sword) knocks or slides the npc back one tile? Giving the illusion that the NPC is being struck by a hard blow. I think this could improve the combat system in EO. Just an idea.

You can´t do this to work properly, until you cache maps in similar style what Quake did. Look on crystalshire forums, Robin wroted there nice explanation of this

> This can easily be done.

You mean caching maps like in Quake, or knockbacks? Ik that knockback can be easily done, but it will be badly synced with server. It will make combat really tricky, becouse it wont be smooth. For now when you will change for example movement speed of running to highter speeds, it isn´t smooth. So if you mean knockbacking etc can be easily done, yes it will, but it will be stupid idea to make it for current system what Eclipse have.

Knock back isn't hard to do at all, and you don't need to cache maps either. Get the direction the NPC is facing, determine if the tile behind the facing direction is blocked, we won't do a knock back. If it's not blocked, then force the NPC to move backwards very fast, but don't change his facing 'direction'. Just because it's calculated server side means nothing, my projectile system is completely server side. This is not hard to do, please stop making people think that it is.

> Knock back isn't hard to do at all, and you don't need to cache maps either. Get the direction the NPC is facing, determine if the tile behind the facing direction is blocked, we won't do a knock back. If it's not blocked, then force the NPC to move backwards very fast, but don't change his facing 'direction'. Just because it's calculated server side means nothing, my projectile system is completely server side. This is not hard to do, please stop making people think that it is.

> You mean caching maps like in Quake, or knockbacks? **Ik that knockback can be easily done**, but it will be badly synced with server. It will make combat really tricky, becouse it wont be smooth. For now when you will change for example movement speed of running to highter speeds, it isn´t smooth. So if you mean knockbacking etc can be easily done, yes it will, but it will be stupid idea to make it for current system what Eclipse have.

You know that word what is called Latency ? If i can, i will quote from Crystalshire forums what robin said. Just read it here: http://www.crystalshire.com/community/showthread.php?tid=2614

I know how to make knockback system, i am not needing explanation how it works. Just telling you what is real problem with Knockback, and entire Eclipse combat system.

FYI, Robin is talking about making a combat system that is fast paced, with pixel based movement. Processing knockback on a tile based engine is very doable, rather than using the ServerLoop, manually force the NPC's position to be sent to anyone in the area when he's knocked around. It's the same premise as warping a user to a new tile, except you're making the client render the movement pixel by pixel the same as it would process character movement. I fail to see why you think this is such a problem? Robin's post talks about overhauling the entire system as a whole.

Thanks Vus, will hopefully have an update to release today.

1) The start of a new 'UI' though it will take a few days to port everything to the new UI layout. It's also very ugly programmer art, but has the general layout that I want.

2) Tab Targetting

3) Increased server-performance, General General Pony came up with a brilliant idea that I've added.

4) Weapon variable "knockback" you can choose to flag a weapon to Kickback - Yes / No which will kick players/NPCs back a tile when struck.

> FYI, Robin is talking about making a combat system that is fast paced, with pixel based movement. Processing knockback on a tile based engine is very doable, rather than using the ServerLoop, manually force the NPC's position to be sent to anyone in the area when he's knocked around. It's the same premise as warping a user to a new tile, except you're making the client render the movement pixel by pixel the same as it would process character movement. I fail to see why you think this is such a problem? Robin's post talks about overhauling the entire system as a whole.

Yea it is doable and easy, but why to add more "action" things to combat system, what cant handle normal close-combat smoothly? I just telled you my idea, you are not supposed to listen to me, i can be wrong. Btw if you do not wanna end in another EE stop adding more and more features ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) (i think they are coded right, so they wont be buggy like in EE , but not everyone should want everything). Try to make your current features better and better, like your quest system still need some work as i saw from above posts

Please leave this topic Deathbeam.

A) I find your posts increasingly hard to read due to the spelling and grammatical errors.

![B)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.png) You may understand 'code' enough to get by but have no serious development experience or skill.

C) Your modified version is simply a collection of tutorials and bug ridden features.

D) Are you the teapot? or the kettle? Stating it'll end up like a version of EE…See C) in regards to Eclipse Advance.

I'll finish with these few points.

1\. My features are all fully functional. You are confusing 'buggy' with just looking 'ugly'. Albeit it may need some tweaks, I've yet to run into any major 'bugs'. Forgetting to lock a textbox is not a bug

2\. I don't waste time reinventing the wheel and continuing to overhaul a piece of code. When an author writes a book, he writes a draft, then edits and revises in seperate phases. Programming should be no different.

You're entitled to your own opinion, just keep them off my topic.

> Knockback will be determined by the weapon you're using. Should you want to have knockback enabled, you'd simply turn it on for that weapon ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

Or you could solve it that way, that there would be chance on knockback. If you wouldnt want it, you simply would have 0% chance.

That's an interesting concept too, rather than it being permanent if the weapon is flagged, I could add a 'Knockback Chance'…so every weapon could have a chance to knock the NPC/Player back. Setting it to 0 would disable it completey. Is that something you guys would rather want?

Love the knock back idea, could even add a percentage chance on weapon for knocking back target. Ur version is looking class mate ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Edit: Beaten to the punch… 3G lag net! Lol

*FYI Don't get upset Deathbeam, I just don't appreciate you coming in and regurgitating something from Robin's forums when we're talking about two completely different systems. If I sounded rude, I was angry. I don't want to put down someone who's trying to improve the community, and your version has a lot to offer people who want something at the moment.

I felt like this gif pretty much sums up our posts…

![](http://i.imgur.com/zZQKm.gif)