Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse - Some Unique Name Here

Rob Janes

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> like the bank you cant get out after someime the npc's just wont die and other that i forgot becuse i havent bean using it.

Hmm, I've never run into the bank issue before, and the NPCs seem to die just fine. This seems like one of the cleanest source edits available.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a great engine. Anyone know if the source code has been released? I know RJanes was waiting to release it till after the contest for head dev ended, and since it says RJ is the head dev under his portrait I am assuming the source code was released yes?

> Yeah, it was released back on page 16
>
> [http://www.samugames…EORJ_Source.zip](http://www.samugames.com/eclipse/EORJ_Source.zip)

Thanks!

hmm, more nooby questions below XD

-

Anyone know how close this engine is to it's final version? I'm sorely tempted to use it as it is and edit the source, but then I'm not sure what awesome stuff Rob's still going to add to it.

Anybody have any idea what the rest of the to do list is for this engine?

Also since trying the most updated version with the quest system I noticed that all the graphics (tiles, characters ect.) were significently darker on normal map settings compared to other versions of eclipse, or even compared to the original files, is this intentional?

> Is there possible way how to cause that game will be changing while playing? Like it's in WoW. For instance, once there is hole of thrall miners and after some quests (when the story moves as well), they became rebels (because they don't want to be thralls anymore). So the story and the game is changing, but only on few starting maps. Then are all maps same. I know that's too much to do, already now you've done great work, but I would love it. It'd give opinion to make games with better sotry side. It might be connected with Event System.
>
> But very great work. Good luck with it.
>
> And name could be Eclipse SUNaH or Eclipse Sun/Eclipse Sunshine ![:D](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png)
>
> Also, separating of Classes and Races might be funny. Pets and Mounts as well. I know I want too much. But i would be good, too.

Hey Gepeto to have branching storylines or world effects what you could do is after a character completes say the miner quest you were talking about they are then warped to a map identical in every way but the changes you want so effectively you can cut the player from being able to go back to the unaltered map state before they finished the quest. It's not a perfect solution because it might slit the game world up into different instances of the same maps, but it will work.

> I am unable to edit the maps unless i do a fill or clear.
>
> I cant place single tiles.
>
> any one have workaround?
>
> note I am using source from page 16.
>
> I even re extracted the file to make sure i didnt corrupt it

When using the source version from page 16 make sure that when your mapping you click the little layers circle on on the bottom right of the mapping sheet above attributes. This may be your issue- as I noticed that until I clicked the layers circle so it was full, even if I started in the default layers category, the map could not be edited.

Hope this helps!

Im still realy new to all the Eclipse engines,so forgive me when i ask to noobish questions ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png) . But is there a way to have a layer dissapear when you are under it? I want to do the roof of house that way. So when your outside you cant see the inside of the house,but when you move in the roof isnt shown anymore and you can look around… No idea if its in the engine allready,but i havent found it so far.

ripper you would have to make it an event. it would be a pain in the butt. when youd walk in you would want somthing trip a switch causing all tiles to go blank.

Karkat i am redownloading and trying it now. Do you know if the source code is as updated as his other releases?

> Im still realy new to all the Eclipse engines,so forgive me when i ask to noobish questions ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png) . But is there a way to have a layer dissapear when you are under it? I want to do the roof of house that way. So when your outside you cant see the inside of the house,but when you move in the roof isnt shown anymore and you can look around… No idea if its in the engine allready,but i havent found it so far.

This is an indirect method I haven't tried yet, but plan to- It should work. Any resource like trees fade if you are behind them, so all you would need to do is add the tiles of any image you want into the resource folder in such a way that you will then be able to add, say a large statue, and then have that statue fade when you are behind it.

Note ripper that the fade option for resources isn't in every eclipse version, but this method should work. It would be awesome though to maybe have say a Faded Fringe layer 1 2 and 3 which would be like the fringe layer, only with the ability to fade when your under it.

> ripper you would have to make it an event. it would be a pain in the butt. when youd walk in you would want somthing trip a switch causing all tiles to go blank.
>
> Karkat i am redownloading and trying it now. Do you know if the source code is as updated as his other releases?

As far as if the source code version on page 16 is as updated as the download link on the 1st page, I'm not positive, but I would since it has been posted after the first page's download link it is probably more up to date, but this may not necessarily be the case if Rob has updated the 1st page download link.

-It is important to note that even if the source code version has been posted more recently which version is more "up to date" may be debatable since while the source version includes features such as a quest system and the option to limit a players view, the version also does not have a number of features that the one on the 1st page has, such as some of options in the player menu. Rather a convoluted answer, but yeah more recently updated doesn't always equate to better. (although I think the source version is heading in a good direction as long as it doesn't leave features behind.)

Cjsrch- Do you know of a way to hide map tiles through the event's systems in this or any other eclipse version? I haven't come across a way to do so yet through the events system but would love to hear it if there is one

```

Public Sub BltMapFringeTile(ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long)

Dim rec As DxVBLib.RECT

Dim i As Long

' If debug mode, handle error then exit out

If Options.Debug = 1 Then On Error GoTo errorhandler

With Map.Tile(x, y)

For i = MapLayer.Fringe To MapLayer.Fringe2

' skip tile if tileset isn't set

If (.Layer(i).Tileset > 0 And .Layer(i).Tileset <= NumTileSets) And (.Layer(i).x > 0 Or .Layer(i).y > 0) Then

' sort out rec

rec.top = .Layer(i).y * PIC_Y

rec.Bottom = rec.top + PIC_Y

rec.Left = .Layer(i).x * PIC_X

rec.Right = rec.Left + PIC_X

If .Type = TILE_TYPE_ROOF And Player(MyIndex).x = x And Player(MyIndex).y = y Then

'under roof, dont draw

Else

' render

Call Engine_BltFast(ConvertMapX(x * PIC_X), ConvertMapY(y * PIC_Y), DDS_Tileset(.Layer(i).Tileset), rec, DDBLTFAST_WAIT Or DDBLTFAST_SRCCOLORKEY)

End If

End If

Next

End With

' Error handler

Exit Sub

errorhandler:

HandleError "BltMapFringeTile", "modDirectDraw7", Err.Number, Err.Description, Err.Source, Err.HelpContext

Err.Clear

Exit Sub

End Sub

```that should do it, but i cant test, vb6 is weird on my pc nowadays O.o dont forget the new tiletype, and add the tiletype at the correct places, like map editor etc.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I know this topic is old but seeing how your back Rob I thought I would just say that I think you should re-open this project. I really liked where the combat system was going and with some newer features I feel this engine could be very popular.