Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse - Some Unique Name Here

Rob Janes

@Deathbeam, it's a little slower loading the texture but far less of a performance hog when rendering versus having to render a black mask over every 32x32 cell for pixel based lighting. My goal is to get a real dx8 light source in there at some point.

The other option it to use smaller light maps based on x/y coordinates as well, we will see which one ultimately gets used.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Deathbeam, it's a little slower loading the texture but far less of a performance hog when rendering versus having to render a black mask over every 32x32 cell for pixel based lighting. My goal is to get a real dx8 light source in there at some point.
>
> The other option it to use smaller light maps based on x/y coordinates as well, we will see which one ultimately gets used.

I am using right that method (first one) in my game and yea FPS is little lower in night ![:D](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png) But i can´t use big texture, becouse i am using loading/unloading when needed, so on Day/Night switch it will cause big lag, and becouse i have anti-cheat there, ti will logout player from game when there is massive lag or speedhack

I thought of something interesting,since eclipse can't support many players how about making a server system so when you log on you choose a server and each server would show you how many players are on it.

Ex)

Server Name (X/300)

So the servers don't get overcrowded and laggy rather make a limit on how many people can be on each server.

> I thought of something interesting,since eclipse can't support many players how about making a server system so when you log on you choose a server and each server would show you how many players are on it.
>
> Ex)
>
> Server Name (X/300)
>
> So the servers don't get overcrowded and laggy rather make a limit on how many people can be on each server.

Come back when you reach that limit.

Release Candidate 2.1

- Fixed the bug when creating a new character, it was simply placing the character in a position that didn't exist on such a small starting map.

- Added a Day / Night cycle, this cycle can be sped up or decreased using the Client Side config.ini file under [Options] (it uses server-ticks 1000:1 tick:second ratio)

- Enjoy

[http://www.samugames.com/eclipse/EORJ_ReleaseCandidate_2_1.zip](http://www.samugames.com/eclipse/EORJ_ReleaseCandidate_2_1.zip)

> Release Candidate 2.1
>
> - Fixed the bug when creating a new character, it was simply placing the character in a position that didn't exist on such a small starting map.
>
> - Added a Day / Night cycle, this cycle can be sped up or decreased using the Client Side config.ini file under [Options] (it uses server-ticks 1000:1 tick:second ratio)
>
> - Enjoy
>
> [http://www.samugames…ndidate_2_1.zip](http://www.samugames.com/eclipse/EORJ_ReleaseCandidate_2_1.zip)

Really? Client side config for speed of night? Move it to server.

> rly? gotta be hating on a source that's ducking awesome? tsk tsk.

I actually agree with Deathbeam on this. Two ways it should be done: by client timezone but the time still being controlled via the server, or by server time zone. Regardless, the duration and interval should be set by the server since you want every connected user to have the same experience in terms of global events such as weather, night/day, etc.

Hey Everyone

Here is an optional download - this link is NOT the build of Eclipse that I plan to release the source to, but rather a heavily modified version that my team and I are using to create our own game. Keep in mind this is a VERY early build. We're creating an adventure hack-n-slash game not an RPG; so a lot of the elements have been removed or in the process of being removed and stripped down. There won't be any player stats like End, Agi, Str etc. It will be a fast paced action game such as 'Zelda: A Link to the Past' or Graal Online. All graphics are merely place holders, we don't plan to use the Breeze set as we're searching for a pixel artist to do custom work for us, and Fyr/Socuine are working on a new UI.

The tile engine has been vastly…and I mean vastly rewritten to use smaller tiles, larger maps, but maintain FPS. Using smaller tiles 16x16 allows for a lot more variety in creating maps, makes player movement seem more seemless and closer to pixel based movement and necessary for the hack-n-slash combat I'm currently writing. For mappers, you'll notice whatever tile or tiles you have chosen to paint onto the map, appear wherever your cursor is but very transparent; this just gives you an idea of where you're placing objects. You'll also notice character creation allows you to choose gender, skin tone, and hair. Again these are placeholder graphics but will give you an idea of how you will be able to customize your character.

Just thought people may enjoy trying it out! No need to report bugs, it's a very early WIP for my team.

[www.samugames.com/eclipse/Build.zip](http://www.samugames.com/eclipse/Build.zip)

Cut off? Like if you walk to the edge of the map you mean? There's a 16x16 pixel boarder around the map as a whole…

@ Zet; what about this build do you like the best, I wasn't going to release this one necessarily as it's custom for my own team, but I can certainly port over any of the functions you like to my own verison of EO if you wanted a specific feature.

Well I really just like the idea. I've always wanted to make an action RPG. I like the idea of having no stats and the 16x16 tiles, it really makes the walking look better, but I would like to see more. Things like an actual attack animation, picking up and throwing of objects, and destructible objects. In all I guess I like all of the current features, but I would love to see more.

You hit the nail on the head for what my team and I are doing for our own game. I probably should have started a thread for it rather than post it here so people don't get confused. When I'm done with these edits for my team and our game (an unannounced hack-n-slash - I guess it's halfassed announced now lol)…I can give you a copy of the source via PM though.

Hello,

I'm not very good at English because I'm French, but I will try to say what I think in English (thank you google translation because it helps me a little ^ ^):

I love the features that you put in this software, it shows that with eclipse, all we can do what we want. Simply knowing there in Visual Basic 6.

If you decide to give sources, I am delighted to have them! If you give via PM, I'll be interested to have also when thou shalt give ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png).

Anyway, Well done to you and your team for your engine is stylish!

On this, Good day.

(Sorry if I hurt write in English, but I try to make an effort as I live in Belgium, I do not speak one word English … and I did do that one year of English at school, but I learned that the base "is present, etc."). brief.

Alexoune001.

idk if its even workable. but y not for ground layer create a texture spray paint making it really art and bring up value of the engine.???

above stuff like trees rocks and such should be resources. the rest would be tiles to form above land.

probly impossible xD. just thought i throw the idea out for ya.

RC2 engine is very good but I miss it the following functions:

Pet system

Auction House System

Crafting system

and … I do not know ...

Why you remove Event System?

It is very interesting option and people likes cut scenes.

This options should have all mmorpg engines.

Of course it is only my opinion but it would be nice if you can implemented this.