Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dr. Arktik new young Music Producer trying to make a name

BlazingShadow

[background=rgb(232, 239, 244)]Hi guys.[/background]

[background=rgb(232, 239, 244)]I recently-ish started producing music, and a friend suggested I open up shop on bandcamp, so I did. I have one track there at the moment and am currently making a new one. All of my singles will be priced at £1 but you have the option to pay more if you wish.[/background]

[http://arktikofficial.bandcamp.com/](http://arktikofficial.bandcamp.com/)

[background=rgb(232, 239, 244)]Thanks for checking me out.[/background]

**Random Thoughts**

The mastering wasn't so great. It was so quiet that I could barely hear anything.

Way too much going on.

The transitions sucked (that sudden rise came out of nowhere).

Waaaaay too much time after that drop after the build up. It all builds up to nothing. That was a major letdown.

Again, the main part has no structure. Way too much is going on. You're using too much reverb and delay so the frequencies are getting extremely muddy.

**Conclusion**

You have some good ideas, but it had no structure and wasn't mastered properly at all. You really need to work on composing the song as a whole, not just individual clips and melodies that you stitch together at last second. Mastering the levels, EQing properly, and mixing is 70% of production. Any old bloke can come up with some melodies, but very few can make it flow. If you want some more professional advice, make a new song and post it on http://idmforums.com

> You should get proper software to make your music with.
>
> Also the mix is swaying, and kinda dirty. Also why is the bass drum panned left? :S

In what way is FL Studio not proper software? Avicii, Basshunter, Deadmau5 and more use it.

The bass drum (Kick Drum) Isn't panned either way…

@Jungle

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take that into consideration.

> In what way is FL Studio not proper software? Avicii, Basshunter, Deadmau5 and more use it.
>
> The bass drum (Kick Drum) Isn't panned either way…

Your kick drum is panned 100% to the left.

It's a good start that your using envelopes and automaton clips, I wouldn't suggest focusing on selling them though, keep practicing and look into either using new cleaner and higher quality sound sets and samples, or producing your own.

> Your kick drum is panned 100% to the left.
>
> It's a good start that your using envelopes and automaton clips, I wouldn't suggest focusing on selling them though, keep practicing and look into either using new cleaner and higher quality sound sets and samples, or producing your own.

My Kick drum is panned 0% in either direction, I never pan drums except for the rare small fill sometimes.

Good job on asking for advice then ignoring and totally denying our criticism.

Also thanks for correcting me on bassdrum = kickdrum.

I think now is a good time to act honest, so i will.. and say that this sounds totally horrible. But still, its okay, make another 30-40 songs and you'll get the sound right. After all, electronic music is pretty easy

Here's a couple of thoughts I had when listening.

Although not my style, I really liked the first 50 seconds until the drum loop came in. This is of course personal preference. I jumped ahead to several sections and thought those sections where ok, but perhaps not cohesive.

As far as the kick, it is indeed panned mostly to one side if not 100%. If you're not hearing this, you may be listening to it in mono.

As far as your DAW - whatever works is fine as far as I'm concern. People use garageband for commercial music/tv commercials, and pop song. A lot of it has to do with post production.

You have a decent ear and with lots of hard work and practice I could see you material in video games with no problem. As a fellow musician/composer I suggest listening to various styles(if you're not already) if you plan on pursuing this for a living as this particular style may not be around forever. It's a good start, keep at it!

> Good job on asking for advice then ignoring and totally denying our criticism.
>
> Also thanks for correcting me on bassdrum = kickdrum.
>
> I think now is a good time to act honest, so i will.. and say that this sounds totally horrible. But still, its okay, make another 30-40 songs and you'll get the sound right. After all, electronic music is pretty easy

I didn't ignore or deny any of the critisism you all gave, infact I've took it into thought, and am now remaking the track. The only part I denied is the kick drum being panned because it isn't at all. Why would I pan the kick drum?

@Bonixmusic Thanks for the honest feedback. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Edit: Correction, I apologize to everyone who said the kick was panned, I was disagreeing because I haven't panned it, but for some strange reason the sample It's self is panned..

In the totally new version of the track where I've taken into account all the feedback I've received, I'm going to change to a different sample that isn't panned.

> How the heck didn't you notice it?

originally because my headphones died not long ago so only the left ear worked xD and my monitor speakers weren't good enough to tell. Then I got my good speakers and couldn't tell because my right speaker was behind my monitor..

Also little correction, it wasn't the sample that panned it, FL Studio decided to pan it by it's self without changing any of the actual settings.. all i had to do was delete the channel then put it back in. I spent 3-4 hours last night trying to improve the transition from lead to build up. and I added some variety to the whole drum & bass thing after the "drop".

Finally, regarding jungle's comment on the track being too quiet. My speakers were at 8% and it was fine.. If anything it's too loud.

> Well, I'm sure you've worked this out already, but high quality speakers and headphones are important for music composition.

Yep, which is why I bought new ones of both. Also, I just uploaded the new version, it's in the place of the old one. I also temporarily removed the download, and while I'm moving on to work on the next track, I'd still appreciate any constructive criticism you may have to offer

I don't make music and I'm no expert so take this as you will.

From (around) 00:55 on into the build up there's something that bugs me, I don't know what to call it but it almost sounds like a background sound cutting in and out and it just interrupted any enjoyment I was getting from the song. Also, the build up didn't really go anywhere, I don't know if I'm just too used to Dubstep (as that's pretty much the only electronic music I listen to) or what.

Anyway, there you have it.

> Finally, regarding jungle's comment on the track being too quiet. My speakers were at 8% and it was fine.. If anything it's too loud.

I went from listening to a song on half volume, to listening to this at full blast, and I could barely hear it. The biggest problem is the mastering.

> I went from listening to a song on half volume, to listening to this at full blast, and I could barely hear it. The biggest problem is the mastering.

Then I believe there may be something wrong with your speakers. Nobody else has said it was too quiet, infact some people actually said it was too loud.