Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Soljah's Official Mapping Contest! ~ 2x Cash Prizes!!

Soljah

![](http://i.imgur.com/pBMxI.png)

**Welcome one and all, to the next Official Mapping Contest for Eclipse!**

I have decided to Donate a **Cash Prize** for 1st and 2nd place!

It has been a few months since the last Contest was held, so I thought what better time to come out of the shadows once more and get some excitement happening around the Mapping scene! I encourage all mappers, new and experienced to enter; It doesn't take long and it gives you a chance to take a Handy cash prize!

For this contest I have chosen something that everyone needs to consider when creating maps In-Game. There are many different ways of expessing this Theme, though it's not always so simple and aesthetically pleasing.

If you are unsure on how I run the contest, these are the guidelines in which you must map by in order to enter your map to the contest.

Map Theme - _This is the theme of the map that must be portrayed in order for your map to be entered into the contest… Such as Forest, Cave, Snow, Mountain, City, etc..._

Map Amount - _This is the number of maps you are allowed to add in **1 connected entry**…_

Tile Sets - _This is the different type of tile sets you can use, for example; Reiners, RMXP, RM2K, Custom, etc…_

Time Limit - _Fairly simply put, this is the allotted time in which you have to enter the map._

Special Rules - _These rules are extra rules which may or may not be put in place for different contests, such as having minimum of 10 full water tiles._

**Rules that apply to every contest**

Major Rules

* Do not steal maps that you yourself have not made and submit them.
* When submitting your maps, you must make a map according to the Theme of the specific Contest.
* Do not criticize participants Maps.
* Maps **Must** be made with **Eclipse**

Minor Re-enforcements

* Once maps are submitted, editing is out of the question.
* Referring to the first Minor Re-enforcement, A Maximum of **5** Maps can be submitted, whether that be editing(New Post), or a brand new map.
* Be Creative when making your maps, don't expect to win a contest so easily, make maps according to your skill.

**Rules that apply to this months contest**

You must submit the following:

Map Theme - **Village with Indoor View**

Map Amount - **2** Map Minimum (1 map needed for the inside of the house), **10** Map Maximum

Tile sets - Any

Time Limit - **38 Days**. October 24th - November 30th

Special Rule/s (2)

* **Must have at least 3 Houses shown Externally.**
* **Must have at least 1 Map Showing the inside of a House.**

**~~Tips and Hints~~**

* Remember! Not all maps have to look the same! Who said houses couldn't be in a cave system?
* Detail, Detail, Detail! Paying attention to detail can make or break the map!
* Layers are your best friend! Detail is far greater when using **all** the layers Available to you!
* Make sure the map is useable - Could you see yourself adventuring / spelunking on the map?

Voting will commence from the 1st December and concede on the 10th of December, giving enough time for members to vote for their favorite Map.

**Good luck, I'll be waiting for entries.**

**Prizes***

**1st - $50 USD Cash Prize** -** **Custom UserGroup name and color for 6 months**

**2nd - $25 USD Cash Prize** - Custom UserGroup name and color for 3 months

3rd -** **Custom UserGroup name and color for 1 month**

_* Please allow time following the announcements of winners for the prizes to be processed._

_** Winner of the cash prizes must have an Active Paypal account. If you are unable to supply a Paypal Account, Myself, Marshy Dearest and the winner will discuss other methods of Payments._

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rules aren't very accomodating for all tile-sets. Mine for example is reminisent and inspired from titles like Dragon Quest where the inside-view of houses are always shown. Hopefully it applies nonetheless, else I guess I'm out for this contest, which would be a shame.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/a4a8f1d2e6c55a30c5bcd894d46c6db2.png)

Small portion of a giant scrolling map, and downsized. Currently using modified version of Eclipse Origins, for the purpose of mocking up maps, although hopefully when I'm finished designing the game and working on the graphics, I'll be able to find a team or at minimum, a programmer.

> The rules aren't very accomodating for all tile-sets. Mine for example is reminisent and inspired from titles like Dragon Quest where the inside-view of houses are always shown. Hopefully it applies nonetheless, else I guess I'm out for this contest, which would be a shame.
>
> Small portion of a giant scrolling map, and downsized. Currently using modified version of Eclipse Origins, for the purpose of mocking up maps, although hopefully when I'm finished designing the game and working on the graphics, I'll be able to find a team or at minimum, a programmer.

That's acceptable Beau ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png) I was actually hoping someone threw together something like this, But was aware that 95% of all mappers would have seperate maps for the insides.

Thanks for the entry bud!

> That's acceptable Beau ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png) I was actually hoping someone threw together something like this, But was aware that 95% of all mappers would have seperate maps for the insides.
>
> Thanks for the entry bud!

Great to hear! I assume most of the entries will probably utilise RMXP and their indoor and outdoor scheme anyway.

Also, good to see your still around!

> I just want to ask, if I would posts 2 maps, and then another 2, would all count or just the newer ones?

All new entries will be counted as seperate entries - all being shown when voting. Unless otherwise asked not to show, or if the map has been 'edited' and updated, only the newer version will count.

> The rules aren't very accomodating for all tile-sets. Mine for example is reminisent and inspired from titles like Dragon Quest where the inside-view of houses are always shown. Hopefully it applies nonetheless, else I guess I'm out for this contest, which would be a shame.
>
> Small portion of a giant scrolling map, and downsized. Currently using modified version of Eclipse Origins, for the purpose of mocking up maps, although hopefully when I'm finished designing the game and working on the graphics, I'll be able to find a team or at minimum, a programmer.

By the positive comments this map is getting, I'm assuming that by village you really mean any form of settlement?

Just to clarify is there a max X & Y size of each map?

Should they be submitted as pictures of the map, or do you want the actual map file? Assuming this is all about the tiles and not NPC and Event placement?

Can I submit a GIF to demonstrate animations (if submitting in picture format?), does Eclipse have to be a stock version? (I.E, Additional map layers over the originals don't count?)

Sorry for the questions, but excited about taking part in this! ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

> Heh, maybe this will motivate me and get me out of my pixel funk. Especially since there's already such a beast competitor, very impressive Kreator. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Thanks brah!

> By the positive comments this map is getting, I'm assuming that by village you really mean any form of settlement?

Logically my city is a hamlet (population of under 1,000)

I would enter but there is not a set tileset to map with.

I never understood why people keep making "mapping contest" without giving an offical set of tiles to use. You know for a fact people are not going to vote for the best map but the best tileset.

how can you truely compair people's map skills without giving them all the same tiles to map from? easy you can't

Here goes nothing, I'm using a version of Crystalshire DE that I edited/fixed (with and without help). Hope you all like it ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Outside:

![](http://imageshack.us/a/img528/1825/mappingcontestoutside.png)

Inside: (Ordered as they appear outside)

![](http://imageshack.us/a/img585/7773/mappingcontestinside.png)

(The 'cuts' that appear in the outside map are because of the fog system, not tileset/mapping error)