Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[BEGINNER] VB.NET or C#

TheLordOfTheManor

I've decided that I want to start learning more than just making simple calculators, I want to join the real world of programming. I'll be going off to college soon enough and there I want to learn programming, probably gaming, as that is what I'm really into. And I know it's not all fun and games until you've actually finished making the game which usually to make a good game takes a real team, effort, and long and hard work. That's why, before I go to college, I want to know something. I don't want to be one of those people that start learning in college, I want to already start learning and when I go to college I want to be ahead of everyone else by miles. Of course, I don't know what college I'm going to, how they will teach me, what they will teach me, etc. But I've hit a crossroad. I've played around with programming before and can easily code something simple like a webbrowser (takes 5 minutes anyone can do it but I made a really advanced one) and other small stuff, I have a bit of experience with it and find the language easy to understand and write. But I heard that C# is considered the right path for game developing and it's relate-able to C++, Java, and some other languages, unlike VB which isn't relate able to other languages. I've looked on countless websites but the arguments for and against both are so good I don't know which to pick. So I wanted to ask the Eclipse community, which should I start learning. Don't say both as I really don't want to be learning two languages at once, of course I'll get to the other, but in time.

> C# is basically C++ edited to make it easier to learn but to harness true potential I would go with C++ you can make way more games/programs with C++ then any other language

Coming from someone who has no experience, and has literally no idea what he is talking about.

Don't listen to him, although i would recommend jumping to C#, it can be a hassle to go from VB to C# if the situation calls for it.

> C# is basically C++ edited to make it easier to learn but to harness true potential I would go with C++ you can make way more games/programs with C++ then any other language

"It has C in the name so it has to be a cheap version of C++". Please, read up on things before you pull things out of your arse. It shares syntax with java more than C++ and there is a reason why C# is becoming very prominent in the gaming industry - especially in the indie world. C++ is a nice language, yes, but it isn't the _best_ language. D is a much better language than C++ but you don't see people making games in D.

Use C# homey. It's a lot easier to learn other languages after using that one. (I have used both VB.NET and C#.NET, and can personally vouch for it.)

>.>

C# is basically NOT AT ALL RELATED to C++, other than Syntax, which is the only similarity between the two. They are entirely different languages, and as such have entirely different uses. C# utilizes the .NET framework, whereas C++ does not, and as such requires a little more knowledge to make trivial tasks work.

Thanks,

Aeroplane

Behind the scenes, VB.NET and C# are almost COMPLETELY identical. In fact, you can even incorporate VB namespaces from a C# program and vice versa. But my honest opinion would be to go C#. C# has SIMILAR syntax to C & C++ but is very different. Everything, EVERYTHING is basically a class or a structure in C# which is what really sets it apart from C & C++. However, you can make a much better transition to C & C++ from C# as well as Java. From what I hear C# and Java are similar in many ways. VB exists for people who, well, just people who enjoy VB. I've met a lot of people in the industry and I see VB.NET nowhere. Almost every demo and user group I've been to takes place in either C++ or C#. in fact, some games companies require some skill with C# for entry level positions. Also, if you learn C#, there are tools you can use to easily convert your code to VB.NET but if you know C#, you know 65% of VB.NET already.

> Behind the scenes, VB.NET and C# are almost COMPLETELY identical. In fact, you can even incorporate VB namespaces from a C# program and vice versa. But my honest opinion would be to go C#. C# has SIMILAR syntax to C & C++ but is very different. Everything, EVERYTHING is basically a class or a structure in C# which is what really sets it apart from C & C++. However, you can make a much better transition to C & C++ from C# as well as Java. From what I hear C# and Java are similar in many ways. VB exists for people who, well, just people who enjoy VB. I've met a lot of people in the industry and I see VB.NET nowhere. Almost every demo and user group I've been to takes place in either C++ or C#. in fact, some games companies require some skill with C# for entry level positions. Also, if you learn C#, there are tools you can use to easily convert your code to VB.NET but if you know C#, you know 65% of VB.NET already.

> Use C# homey. It's a lot easier to learn other languages after using that one. (I have used both VB.NET and C#.NET, and can personally vouch for it.)
>
> >.>
>
> C# is basically NOT AT ALL RELATED to C++, other than Syntax, which is the only similarity between the two. They are entirely different languages, and as such have entirely different uses. C# utilizes the .NET framework, whereas C++ does not, and as such requires a little more knowledge to make trivial tasks work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Magical Magical Magical Aeroplane

Both of these guys are correct. I've read 2 books by 3 different authors (1 was co-authored) for VB.NET 2010 and C# 2010; both say that there is absolutely no difference in the languages in terms of performance (both use the CLR and are compiled exactly the same, which is what Jeff was saying), and the similarities are honestly too darn many in number to even call them separate languages. Both are .NET, both give you the same performance (the difference on actual tasks, where one language out performs the other, is measured in less than a tenth of a second), and both are easily readable (less operator usage and more real-world terms, e.g. Is, As, etc).

And once again, like both of those guys have said, C# has more supported THIRD PARTY assemblies than VB.NET does for GAMING. When I say third party, I mean assemblies that support existing assemblies in the .NET framework; a perfect example of a third party assembly is SFML, SlimDX, etc. They have nothing, whatsoever, to do with the actual support (.NET) of the language itself, but add additional functionality for certain things. Most of the graphics assemblies written are primarily supported for use with C# and not VB.NET; the main reason is the naming conventions. Most die hard C++ guys will name variables starting with an underscore (e.g. int _myvar;); you CANNOT use this practice and import references to VB.NET because it isn't supported. There are a few additional tidbits when it comes to that, but I'm sure you've gotten the idea by now.

The long answer is above. The short answer is simple: start with VC# 2010, XNA 4.0 Refresh, and get yourself a good book on C# 2010\. I personally recommend Visual C# 2010 Step by Step by John Sharp (e-book is available, wink wink). It's an awesome read and even goes into depth on some of the nuances or discrepancies between C/C++ and C#. If you have any questions, the guys that I quoted or myself will be happen to answer 'em.

> I guess I'm starting with C#. Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it! If anyone has any more information to help me just post it, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Good choice. Everything relevant has already been said; re-read my post if you have additional questions. As far as starting out goes, and once again, pick up Visual C# 2010 Step By Step and read from front to back, and pay attention. There is TONS of information packed into that book (780 pages worth) that will answer every question you could possibly have.

> Good choice. Everything relevant has already been said; re-read my post if you have additional questions. As far as starting out goes, and once again, pick up Visual C# 2010 Step By Step and read from front to back, and pay attention. There is TONS of information packed into that book (780 pages worth) that will answer every question you could possibly have.

Thanks, I'll need that!

> Np, man. And keep in mind that it's also available as an e-book. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

Thanks I got VS 2010 Pro, XNA 4.0 Refresh, and the e-book. Finished up the easy hello world stuff in chapter one, now going into chapter two. A lot of new confusing terms popping up but I'll pick them up fast.

> Thanks I got VS 2010 Pro, XNA 4.0 Refresh, and the e-book. Finished up the easy hello world stuff in chapter one, now going into chapter two. A lot of new confusing terms popping up but I'll pick them up fast.

Awesome, man. If you don't get something, re-read it and slow down. No need to rush. The more you understand now the better off you'll be later on. If you still don't get something, ask here and I'll help as much as I can.