Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intermediate or Advanced Programmers, Poll

Mal

> Go ask one of your systems analysts or database administrators if they feel that CS theory and data modeling are important.

If you're trying to say OOP concepts are important in industry I agree with you. In my experience CS professors don't teach OOP. They teach discrete math, big O notation and interpreting time & space complexity of algorithms.. All of these things are more important to researchers then software engineers.

> If you're trying to say OOP concepts are important in industry I agree with you. In my experience CS theory is not OOP. It's discrete math, big O notation and interpreting time & space complexity of algorithms.

What if you were writing a series of complex F# applications that involved advanced algorithms for an aeronautical space engineering firm? What happens when you write a line of code that throws a calculation off that needs to be pin-point accurate, and is the difference between someone successfully completing a mission and someone dying in a massive fireball explosion?

I know this all has to do with the context of what we, as programmers, actually do with our knowledge, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be needed elsewhere.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm an intermediate programmer, a couple more experienced people who I've shown my code(mostly game related) to lately told me that it looked alright or they only pointed out one or two errors, but I'll post anyways.

I started out with MSDN and some random tutorials to guide me through C# and XNA, but after a while I met John(rose) who told me to go learn java or duck myself. I learnt some java using tutorials and other basic stuff, and then John basically just tutored me. Since I was already relatively proficient in C#, learning the basics of java wasn't hard. Now I'm playing around with it and mostly just googling things I don't know how to do and then asking someone(john, westin, support forum) why my code doesn't work/how I should do something. Honestly I think I would've preferred to learn from a good series of tutorials, but I heard that thenewboston was bad and I couldn't find any other tutorials, so I had to improvise.

> I'm not 100% sure if I'm an intermediate programmer, a couple more experienced people who I've shown my code(mostly game related) to lately told me that it looked alright or they only pointed out one or two errors, but I'll post anyways.
>
> I started out with MSDN and some random tutorials to guide me through C# and XNA, but after a while I met John(rose) who told me to go learn java or duck myself. I learnt some java using tutorials and other basic stuff, and then John basically just tutored me. Since I was already relatively proficient in C#, learning the basics of java wasn't hard. Now I'm playing around with it and mostly just googling things I don't know how to do and then asking someone(john, westin, support forum) why my code doesn't work/how I should do something. Honestly I think I would've preferred to learn from a good series of tutorials, but I heard that thenewboston was bad and I couldn't find any other tutorials, so I had to improvise.

What concerns me is the fact that someone explicitly told you to switch to Java while implying that it was a superior language. Erroneous at best, I say. Anywho. And yeah, you're absolutely right in wanting to learn from a cohesive set of tutorials or even a professional authored book on the topic, especially when first starting out. For C#, I recommend the e-book Visual C# 2010 Step by Step; it's also sold in paperback with an accompanying CD that includes the samples and e-book.

Thanks for posting!

> What concerns me is the fact that someone explicitly told you to switch to Java while implying that it was a superior language. Erroneous at best, I say. Anywho. And yeah, you're absolutely right in wanting to learn from a cohesive set of tutorials or even a professional authored book on the topic, especially when first starting out. For C#, I recommend the e-book Visual C# 2010 Step by Step; it's also sold in paperback with an accompanying CD that includes the samples and e-book.
>
> Thanks for posting!

When he said java was better, it was a personal preference issue and he told me so. He didn't actually have a problem with me using C# or anything, it was just that I would be working with him more and he liked java so he told me to use it.

> When he said java was better, it was a personal preference issue and he told me so. He didn't actually have a problem with me using C# or anything, it was just that I would be working with him more and he liked java so he told me to use it.

Gotchya. Thanks for clearing that up. =)

I would vote for self because that is where all the motivation comes from XD. And then Combination of Books & College Courses. The reason I say books is because they are written and reviewed by people that more than likely know what they are doing. I am kind of 50/50 on the college course because it depends on the acctuall college and the universityes program / staff. My frend had a proffessor that was teaching python and he wasn't prepared for the course at all because the university was cutting costs they decided a networking proffesor should teach the course and the proffesor spent his summer learning the language and its hard to teach something that you havent mastered yourself yet.

As for the online sources that is a big risk you will need to do more research because anyone can post a tutorial now in this time and age and just because it looks good doesnt mean it is so you will need to find a couple of references that match or are reliable sources before you commit to learning from it.

> I would vote for self because that is where all the motivation comes from XD. And then Combination of Books & College Courses. The reason I say books is because they are written and reviewed by people that more than likely know what they are doing. I am kind of 50/50 on the college course because it depends on the acctuall college and the universityes program / staff. My frend had a proffessor that was teaching python and he wasn't prepared for the course at all because the university was cutting costs they decided a networking proffesor should teach the course and the proffesor spent his summer learning the language and its hard to teach something that you havent mastered yourself yet.
>
> As for the online sources that is a big risk you will need to do more research because anyone can post a tutorial now in this time and age and just because it looks good doesnt mean it is so you will need to find a couple of references that match or are reliable sources before you commit to learning from it.

Well, thanks for the reply but this wasn't a voting poll; this was a "how did I learn to program?" poll for intermediate/advanced programmers only. The level of knowledge necessary to call yourself either of those is relative to that of Jeff Sventora, Marshy Dearest, Elliot (Magical Magical Aeroplane), myself, unknown (bachelors of computer science, currently in the industry), and a few others who have been institutionally taught or have been taught through a combination of professional or other resources.

[background=transparent]Fair enough I didnt read your post carefully but I actually have an associates in computer science [/background][background=transparent] ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)[/background][background=transparent] [/background][background=transparent]. Personally I found the field very boring no offense to anyone of course it was just something that I didn't see myself doing. I am currently 15 credits shy for my BS in Mechanical Engineering. [/background]

> [background=transparent]Fair enough I didnt read your post carefully but I actually have an associates in computer science [/background][background=transparent] ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)[/background][background=transparent] [/background][background=transparent]. Personally I found the field very boring no offense to anyone of course it was just something that I didn't see myself doing. I am currently 15 credits shy for my BS in Mechanical Engineering. [/background]

Awesome. That's about as low level as you can get; instead of writing code, you're working with the actual components.

• 2 weeks later...
Learned everything I know thus far from youtube, the new boston, and looking at the engine its self. I know I don't do things properly though..so I'm hoping college helps out with that. Mostly just trying to have some pre existing knowledge and get a bit fluent.