Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elandor Chronicles

Dark Crusade

I'm thinking about making a few small changes to the tilesets. My original inspirations were NES games which due to mostly technical restrictions used the same dimensions for most tiles, such as trees, walls and cliffs. Although retro, I think I will no longer take this approach. It feels like the game world lacks depth and creativity. For example, I'll never be able to create grand forests or mountains using this graphic style. Thus, I think I'll revise my tilesets, and have appropriate sized trees, walls, cliffs and other elements.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> When do you think you'll have planning and graphics done to the extent that you can push for a playable demo?

That primarily depends on either how long it takes accumulating funding to pay for a programmer, or if I can find an interested programmer to work in partnership on the project. Hopefully the latter!

> That primarily depends on either how long it takes accumulating funding to pay for a programmer, or if I can find an interested programmer to work in partnership on the project. Hopefully the latter!

There maybe an interested programmer depending on the language you want and what you're aiming for. Windows only, cross-platform etc :)

> Nice game, big fan of the tilesets :)
>
>  
>
> Although one thing that bugs me is how the door is still facing down when its at the side of a house.

That's because the tilesets are inspired by nes titles like Dragon Warrior. It was fairly common. But some of you kids wouldn't know that ;)

Thanks for the reception guys! Here's a question for you all. Are you fond of the scale of the trees and other elements? OR should I revisit a few tiles?

> I'm thinking about making a few small changes to the tilesets. My original inspirations were NES games which due to mostly technical restrictions used the same dimensions for most tiles, such as trees, walls and cliffs. Although retro, I think I will no longer take this approach. It feels like the game world lacks depth and creativity. For example, I'll never be able to create grand forests or mountains using this graphic style. Thus, I think I'll revise my tilesets, and have appropriate sized trees, walls, cliffs and other elements.

Refer to the above comment, I'd love some feedback regarding it. I quickly mocked up some larger trees if it helps in your decision-

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/677e9c4e8aa0e84642e56517bb920efe.png)

For those concerned, I will be able to reuse most my tiles even if I do make the changes.

> Bigger is better. Go ahead and make those changes! :)
>
>  
>
> Will the "open-house" style still be maintained with these bigger tiles?

I'm not sure yet, I'll mockup a few more tiles and scenes, and see how it looks. The walls will definately be taller also, but theres the chance it won't work

> I'm not sure yet, I'll mockup a few more tiles and scenes, and see how it looks. The walls will definately be taller also, but theres the chance it won't work

I like how the bigger tiles add more depth, that is their purpose but I really like the "open-house" style so hopefully you can find a way to have both the style and the depth.

> Aiming for a modern language, C++ and C#. Java is also an option which will enable us of making the game in browser as well :)

Easy cowboy, your not part of the development team yet! Show me what you can do and if you have something to offer I'd be more then happy for the help and we'll talk about the game, it's plans, and ecetera. :)

But Swizl is definately correct, any modern language, including Java which is definately an option.

• 3 weeks later...
Hope people like the new style. Still very much **work in progress**, but should be enough for a preview!

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/d6c96b520d6d6e19c29ef1ba4c7d387d.png)

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/b108a9d38bced0bc4c58e9acfefa0838.png)

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/406ebb5a25682e9a1ebd7b1c270907f1.png)

> Looks nice, very reminiscent of Zelda. I liked your other tiles too :D

Thanks buddy. One thing I learnt is that by using lighter and less contrasted ground tiles, everything else is more readable and overall looks better. I also feel I'm getting better at palette choosing! I'll be reworking the city tilesets soon, and will show off the open-house design on the new tilesets.

> Thanks buddy. One thing I learnt is that by using lighter and less contrasted ground tiles, everything else is more readable and overall looks better. I also feel I'm getting better at palette choosing! I'll be reworking the city tilesets soon, and will show off the open-house design on the new tilesets.

Yeah, if I had to pick a weak side for myself it would definitely be choosing palettes. Can't wait to see the new tiles.