Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DarkEclipse

darkhog

I am in process of refactoring Event Editor, so every command will get separate settings window (if has any). Main window will hold only event's content (list of commands) and event command selector.

The reason is to make easier to add more custom event commands to editor without making everything cluttered (and for some commands, like Conditional Branch after selecting it in command selector, its controls literally are rendering before my eyes, so it should definitely get its own window). Every command option window will get name in format frmEvent e.g. frmEventConditionalBranch.

I've worked in the past on RPG Maker clone, so I know what I'm doing. The only reason you didn't hear about it is because I've learned a guy named Tuxinator is making his own clone, Open RPG Maker and so I've decided it'll be more productive to provide my feedback to him than trying to do my own thing. DE however is fun to code for me, so I won't be giving up so easily ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png).

//edit: Done commands (will update as it goes):

- Show text

- Show Choices

Thought you may want to know. I've implemented event copying, so you now can duplicate events like gates, signs etc. It's kinda crashy though (8 times out of 10 client closes itself without any warning when trying to copy event and even running it through VB doesn't help much), so it probably won't make into next release (I prefer to do bug-less releases if I can help it #ocdprogrammer).

I think I know what causes it, but if I'm right it would require somewhat major client-side event code reewrite (not talking about event editing a.k.a. every event has its config window, but about actual event rendering/executing code), so even if I'm right it'll take much time to get it working properly.

Don't want to make next release any longer though (especially that now I have my own MMO project based on DE which is reason DE even came to be) so event copying is now suspended and moved onto separate branch, so it won't get in a way when I'll implement more easier and important stuff, like improving event editor. Though since there are lots of event command in the editor and some of them have some complicated code handling forms themselves (let alone code in Add/EditCommand routines) it'll take time too.

Yeah, like cleaning up codebase is a bad idea (talking about separating event config windows from frm_EditorEvents into separate ones). And this is necessary step in order to make creating new event commands easier (+speed of current solution is horrible - I've already talked about "conditional branch" config frame LITERALLY rendering controls before my eyes, didn't I?).

Also the point here is to create useful and easy to use MMO toolset. I don't want to implement features that are incomplete or crash game (because of that I *WON'T* include event duplicating in the next version as it crashes game), not increasing e-stick by saying "oh, lol mah enginah is betta 'cause it got particle effects oh lawl". If feature is incomplete or bug-free (unless it is *very* minor bug), it doesn't belong to release, unless it is Nightly or something like that and is marked as such.

So unless I can get feature I want to implement working flawlessly, it won't make into next release (unless it is big & very wanted feature - then I can release "bleeding edge" build).

And rewrite of Event editor is necessary. Yes it is dull and boring job. Yes, I'd have more fun playing with particles, adding panoramas or implementing Mode7\. But someone need to do it for EO not become unmaintainable ball of code.

If you don't like/agree with what I've said, well too bad. I won't cry. I'll just keep doing my thing.

Corrupted map issue is not problem of the engine and does same thing in in pure EO Nightly (tried with other maps made in DarkEclipse, they work fine) and if you haven't noticed, all those things are related to my own project based on DE engine, not DE engine itself. Also MediaFire has that nifty thing that counts downloads and DE 3.0.1 has already 18 downloads, so your point about no one using it is already invalid.

And believe me, more features will be added. First I need to clean up some things, like event editor so I can add features more easily though. Visual BASIC is not bad language. No language is bad. There are only good programmers, bad programmers and programmers who just don't give up and succeed eventually. If you're writing spaghetti code, it is entirely your fault, not language you're using. You would write spaghetti code in any other language too (unless it is as formalized as e.g. Python and doesn't allow for that).

And believe me that frmEditor_Events is one big ball of code swallowed by cat and vomitted 3 times in a row.

Yes it works.

Yes, it is (***baaarelly***) maintainable (but probably only by jcsnider himself).

But if we won't do something about it, it may become so cluttered as more and more features are added that it'll make strange bugs appear which no one will be able to make sense of.

So clean up ***IS*** needed. Hate it as much as you want, but it is needed.

Then the fun (adding actual features) will begin. Because if I'd try to add them now, especially considering what I want to add, I'd basically build house on sand instead of solid foundation of well-written codebase.

I'll keep going. I won't give up. Never.

Seriously, you are having problems with all of these minor edits that you have done that most members on this community could get done in seconds with little time and effort. A good developer should not be struggling with the basics: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/130467-changing-size-of-the-form/ You do not have the skills to be doing this.

Notch didn't have skills when he started minecraft either (anyone remembers very first video of MC where terrain was basically garbled mess of stone?), but he developed them. So will I.

And it is entirely Microsoft's fault for not allowing entering form's width and height in simple pixels. I've eventually managed to get that done, but still.

LOL Notch knew C++/java way more than you know VB. And he studied and hired people to help him. Please don't compare yourself to Notch.

Also, you don't know how to do it because you can use Width/Height and enter pixels. You can change the measurement unit in vb if you don't like twips.

If you can't figure out such a simple task, don't make a custom version. There are plenty of better versions made by better programmers than you. Hell, even I program better than you.

Save yourself the time and put this project down.

At least Deathbeam's custom version actually has some plausible features.

I would start small, don't just jump into a project like this without knowing at least some of the basics that come along with programming (Problem Solving being a major skill needed).

If you continue going down this route you will just embarrass yourself, which it seems you've already managed to accomplish.

ok im geting a head ache READING … >.> guys stop trolling... give him pointers ask for stuff needed. dont come here to bash. now darkhog it needs ALOT of work. if you wanna fully debug it add stuff make it awesome all the power to you.if they try bashing you dont reply it only fuels them.

idk if it will help but for server y not bring back a server lock when minimized to the task bar. to open it enter a password thats HARD coded in. that way no one can X it out.