Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DarkEclipse

darkhog

![](http://i.imgur.com/7Nb7W.png)

I'd like to present my custom Eclipse build. It is based on EO nightly 3.0, so it has all nifty things like PNG with Alpha, weather, etc.

Currently features are as follows:

-Ability to set default spawnpoint in options.ini of the server, so you don't have to recompile it just to change it. May be changed in future to be settable via map attribute (kinda like RPG Maker's set spawn position option).

- Increased limits ([see this post for details](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/130451-darkeclipse/#entry865149))

- Place for your game's logo in main menu (it is stored in client\data files\graphics\gui\menu\logo.jpg, it needs to be 256x515 or it will look weird).

~~Warning: Some messages are translated to Polish, because this engine is being made for Polish MMO game. In future releases I plan to roll translation system, so you will be able to translate whole game into your language (it can be even Klingon if you ask me ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)), but for now either live with Polish language strings or change them and recompile server.~~ Polish messages reverted to English until translation system gets done.

Planned features:

- Translation system

- Map editor improvements (this may or may not include unlimited layers if I can figure out way of making this work with no or very small performance loss)

- Moving as much as possible from modConstants to config files so you won't have to touch source code unless it is absolutely necessary (new features not possible with events, etc.)

- Events commands such as Pan Screen, show picture, etc. so your MMOs won't be so generic (more story-oriented, with cut(e)scenes)

- Replacing RMXP RTP graphics with graphics from OpenGameArt, due to shady legality of using former, especially in commercial MMOs.

~~Download DarkEclipse SERVER~~ old release

[Download DarkEclipse 3.0.1b](http://www.mediafire.com/?yaq75v16qj957v4) - [changelog](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/130451-darkeclipse/#entry865149)

BTW. I wanted to use Dragon Eclipse name, but it seems to be taken ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png).

Why did you post this if it has nothing yet. Post the topic and work when you have something completed. Also, i think that the translation system should be in place before any release because otherwise this engine will not be recommended for new users who on top of learning vb6 and eclipse, must also figure out what a that polish word means and what does it do.

Zopto, so why Eclipse Advanced does just that and get off with it?

Also, I don't care about what you think. I just doing what any good open-source community member would do. I do my own thing (for my game) and doing other people favor by publishing my changes. So I'll continue working on it while developing my own game. You may or may not use it. I don't care. I am just minding my own business.

Different rendering engine, it uses Direct3D8 instead of DirectDraw7(It's based off of the Nightly Releases, which are the more worked out and fixed versions of 2.3, but were never marked as official because they were in development). As I said, most of the nonsense you're spouting is completely misinformed. DD7 can NOT now and will NEVER support *.png. It can load *.png files with an additional library, but converts this to bitmaps during the process.. So it still won't support any *.png features, it just loads and converts them. Please, for the love of my sanity look into things before yelling.

> kinda agree. the control of items,maps,players and such max number should have stayed in a ini file. not everyone can program or get access to vb6.
>
> everyone keeps for getting that. XD

Considering you more or less need it to customize your game, you'll need it eventually regardless. So I don't see how this is very valid. (Unless you enjoy making another generic clone of the standard engine with thousands of entries that contain no data) Not to mention, with the default max numbers you can host quite a decent game with content. I doubt most people even manage to actually fill it all up if they have a proper design idea rather than just throwing nonsense together.

**'darkhog'**

Zopto, so why Eclipse Advanced does just that and get off with it?

**'Joyce'**

DD7 can NOT now and will NEVER support *.png. It can load *.png files with an additional library, but converts this to bitmaps during the process.. So it still won't support any *.png features, it just loads and converts them.

I personally don't feel that this justifies as being a "custom version" at all. You've currently made one minute change and plan to implement other changes that aren't very significant in terms of functionality or content; you're simply improving the non-programmer's quality of life.

> I personally don't feel that this justifies as being a "custom version" at all. You've currently made one minute change and plan to implement other changes that aren't very significant in terms of functionality or content; you're simply improving the non-programmer's quality of life.

This certainly is in the range of "Custom version". If I wouldn't make any changes at all, that's the other story.

> This certainly is in the range of "Custom version". If I wouldn't make any changes at all, that's the other story.

Okay I'm going to get EO, add a messagebox that spams you with "Hello World" every time you login, call it Eclipse Messagebox and release it. That's pretty much what you've done just with other… "features".

Updated to DarkEclipse 3.0.1.

Changelog (+ - added, - - removed, c - changed):

Server/Client:

cLimits:

Max character/login name: 60 (instead of 12) - Now you can use full name instead of only firstname.

Max player on server: 120

Max maps/items/npcs/animations/spells: 500

Max inv/Player spells: 45

Max map NPCs: 40

Max shops: 70

Max trades: 30

Max resources/levels 200

Max bank: 99

Max partys: 50

Max switches/variables: 5000

Client:

+Added place for a logo on main menu (it is stored in data files\graphics\gui\menu\logo.jpg)

cMade background.jpg being drawn on separate image object due to needed change in form's size for logo

cDefault icon is now DarkEclipse icon.

Project general:

cNow based on EO Nightly 3.0, so it has support for nifty things like transparency

+Made both client and server into VB project group for easier development.

Download in main post

> Restored for now, it does not have a lot of features at the moment but hopefully it will turn into something more feature filled. The creator needs feedback on what people want to bring to a ready state.

And this is why there are so many bad versions of Eclipse; the simple unwillingness to be critical.

If you dont like it dont use it. There is nothing here. He has assured me that he will be adding onto it. Custom versions are not official anyone can make one. It is not our job to make sure that it lives up to some set of standards that we have. There was the same discussion with games awhile back. If a game sucks it does not need to be removed. Anyone has the right to make one.

That being said if this goes nowhere it will be removed.

> There was the same discussion with games awhile back. If a game sucks it does not need to be removed. Anyone has the right to make one.

The difference between that example and this situation is that some new user might come in here, look for the latest version (which is hard to find when u know nothing about eclipse) and then he falls onto this sub and sees a bumped topic called DarkEclipse which is a new version based on a 'older' version than this one.

That poor user has no idea what crap he's getting into. And he won't get support in the support board for this version either.

Instead of making soon-to-be-useful custom versions, we should post them once they are complete enough for release and be approved by admins first.