Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The plan, moving forward.

Link

Hello community,

Today I'm making another post to update you guys on my plans for the site as of now. As for the website, I'll be learning to deal with things myself on the web side and Yuko will be helping me along the way. This will prevent any unnecessary setbacks later.  The future of "Eclipse" can be a bright one, but I believe the vision below is the way to do so.

"Eclipse" will become a platform for developers and overall content creators. We're also changing the name to **BitRocket**, the idea behind BitRocket is that "Innovation starts at a low level, but your ideas can ascend to a higher place." That's my own simple reasoning behind choosing that name, however, it was suggested to me I did not come up with it. I hope that you guys will get past the name to read the next portion. 

BitRocket simply aims to be a platform for people who aspire to be game developers, designers and content creators. Hopefully it will be a place where you can share resources, communicate with other members to create projects together as well as a place where you can have your projects shared in the spotlight. To understand BitRocket you have to understand the past of Eclipse. Eclipse has always been a relaxed environment where creators with ideas could attempt to make those ideas a reality. Here at Eclipse for a long time people have shared their ideas, experience and have grown with the site. A lot of people moved on past the site because simply it was at a point where they could gain nothing more from it, this is no single person's fault, but we've fallen apart as a communtiy and literally are at the lowest point in the history of the site besides when it probably first began.

Now that you have an idea of where Eclipse currently stand, I'll explain my plan to move it past that. I'll start by saying I'm truly grateful for the dedicated members of the community, a lot of you have contributed to what this site is today, I joined here as a member myself aspiring to be a game developer many years ago. Truth be told, Eclipse's software has not been capable of doing that, but it has always been a great stepping stone.

I plan to continue to have it be a stepping stone, but I want to also promote our members projects. I'd like to have an software that's more up to date, but in all honesty every engine will be allowed use here at Eclipse and we'll welcome all sites that are creating engines..our aim as BitRocket is no longer to compete with those sites, in fact it's not to compete with anyone at all (not anymore) put simply I want a fun community and something I can say that I'm proud of, hopefully the staff and members will be able to say the same. That they're proud of what they were able to create or contribute.

My focus is no longer to create a shiny new engine, chances are for the site I'll use an pre-existing open source one and try to polish it up and still credit the original creators of that engine. So I guess if you've read this far, you're asking…well what will the point of BitRocket be? I mentioned earlier that we'll be trying to make it a platform, I meant exactly that. We'll be a platform that offers tools and opportunities to have your project reach a larger audience. Now you're asking how that will be possible when we don't have much to start from?

After I do release the new website I personally will be marketing the site as much as possible and reaching out to every single connection I have from streamers to other sites similiar as well as partners. BitRocket will have a section that puts games in the spotlight that apply to have their game put there, this will include creating prize driven competitions to draw crowds to the site. There will be no cost involved in this.

I'm aware that the idea isn't fully put together and needs a lot of work, but I'm thinking about steps in the future as well and I'm trying to plan accordingly. As of right now though, I'm trying to take it one step at a time, that simply starts with launching the new website and getting another engine. I'll try to update the community as often as possible. So I'm moving on to a few last notes, besides promoting projects we'll also try to promote streamers and content creators on our social media outlets once they've been launched and we've gained stability.

Here are some future problems I expect to run into and how I plan to handle them if they occour:

The website growing larger than I'm capable of managing. This will call for more ranks to be created that are specific to certain areas, including a support team...a team that approves game applications based on experienced developers or as close as possible.

Website costs:
I will either depend on the community at this point, I don't plan to profit from this idea so if it turns out well I believe the communtiy will be supportive. If worse comes to shove at this point we'll start thinking of alternatives that can produce revenue, but do not make members feel uncomftorable or interfere with the atmoshphere of the community.

People thinking that I'm a dictator based on decisions:
I'll establish a system where trusted staff members are on a board (not like a business) but the board will help vote on decisions for the site that can GREATLY impact it negatively or positively. This will stop me from having the power alone to destroy the site with biased decisions. 

Members afraid of abuse due to the past: We're creating strict guidelines about how staff will handle situations. This will also come to voting in the end. Staff will build a case against a members before that member can be banned. A staff members would need to have evidence against the member which goes against the rules and guidelines of the site, but to make it even more comftorable that staff members will need to present it to the other staff (Being the staff that handle member altercations or general forum disruption, not every staff member) then they will need x amount of votes passed in order to carry out the ban. The ban will still need to follow the guidelines, ex. Members broke x rule which is punishable by x amount day ban. The only time voting will not be needed is when a staff members mutes a member, they will however need to provide proof within the log. I and the other managers will keep a eye on these logs in case any disputes are made. 

This protects the member and the staff. Feel free to add suggestions. That's all I have for you guys, just know that I'm working on getting things in order. It wont happen overnight as I'm now learning web development myself to better manage the website, but be patient with me.

- Link

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to be negative, but you have a section of what you'll do if. What's your plan if the site doesn't become anything after these changes, if it loses the members that are here and doesn't gain any one?
You have an alright idea to me, but it really doesn't fit into Eclipse, why you bought the site rather than just make a new one, I don't know, and I see this change as something that will bring members but also make some leave. Hopefully you do gain more, but you should plan for all the what if's and not just some of them.

If it doesn't gain any members the idea did not work. Also, there's a lot of decisions that can be made for the site, but in my opinion there will never be everyone who agrees with them. Only way to know what will work is to give it a shot. As far as fitting into Eclipse, that's pretty much the point of the entire idea, it's not supposed to fit into Eclipse.

So is BitRocket a community that focuses on content creation by providing a set of pre-existing/polished tools to creators so they can produce content? How is that any different from Eclipse with a modern engine (which can be a pre-existing engine)?

All I really see here is a change of name.

Eclipse has never tried to publish its own members projects at the level that I'm trying to, Eclipse has never focused on content creators (youtubers/streamers) it's been a 2D mmorpg restricted community that focused on game development at a minimal level and was close minded to its engine being the main one used on the site. I seperate content creators and game developers within the post for a reason. So no, in my opinion it is not just a rename. The reason for renaming was also to get rid of the same old idea, the members have grown much too comftorable to the community and its growth being limited to one way. BitRocket is a name that could be interperated in many ways, imo. Not to mention there's already a huge site that exists called Eclipse. Like I said, the name also has a meaning behind it that fits the new direction of the site…ideas that can ascend, those ideas don't have to just be game development.

So, there doesn't seem to be a plan if members leave and don't join? That's fine, but don't forget to think on it. As for the changes, it'll be a bit like Eclipse, but seems there will be more of everything: streaming like twitch, game making like Eclipse, etc.. Should be interesting to see what happens, and I agree, we can't know until it happens. Hopefully it goes well and in a right way.

I'll throw this statement in really fast. This topic was to publish my ideas for the site at your guys requests, we're very early. This topic is not just to say that this will happen 100% but I'm very open to brainstorming. I hope you guys are as fast to give suggestions as you are to give critisism.

I think the simple initiative is going to allow people from more areas to enjoy eclipse…like we don't even really have a dedicated section for composers or artists, I could easily develop a system to host music and artwork for our members. The content creator focus will help expand our limitations for community interest in my opinion at least.

PD, as far as development goes, this makes the primary focus not limited to developing _Online_ RPGs; more feasible and less time-consuming projects can get going much more easily.

I welcome that change in particular; screw ORPGs and screw the massive investment required.

>! BitRocket simply aims to be a platform for people who aspire to be game developers, designers and content creators.
There are many other places, far better and with many experienced users, eclipse has little of them, most of them being kids or just hitting 18, who learned some stuff and think they're good enough to give advices on how to do some shit.
I find that funny, and this is just my opinion.

If now, when it has something to offer, is dead AF, imagine how it will be when there won't be anything at all just the support of early 20ish boyz and girls or jailbait ones.

I still can't understand your way of thinking.
Let's see, you change it to BitRocket for example, you have nothing to offer, no experienced users with years in anything but personal hobby projects and daydreaming, doing what?
Telling people who will post their project, "looks good", "I really like this, wanna see more"?!

Just because you name it a platform doesn't mean it will really be a platform for anything but **random kids[from eclipse 99% of them] posting their projects and dreams, on a good old forum called BitRocket.**
Projects posted will get little to no discoverability, because for that you will need to put hard cash into advertising your BitRocket website, even then it has a large number saying Fail.
If I were just a random guy who didn't know about eclipse and just saw a BitRocket ad, I wouldn't even bother posting stuff to a place where I know my stuff won't be able to be discovered and evolve, unlike in other places.

@'Dr.House':

> There are many other places, far better and with many experienced users, eclipse has little of them, most of them being kids or just hitting 18, who learned some stuff and think they're good enough to give advices on how to do some shit.
> I find that funny, and this is just my opinion.
>
> I just hit 18 yay!! and I'm acting like I'm a good developer even if not, yay!!
>
> I do think it's okay to let them create their own ideal game, it may help them improve their creativity, a stair always have its first step
>
> OnTopic
> Still VB6?

Sherwin, who doesn't let them create their ideal game?
Are you somehow limited by something or someone here to create your ideal game?
Does it have to be named BitRocket to enhance your creativity and post it here?

Whatever can be posted on BitRocket can be posted here aswel, I still don't see people posting stuff, only the vets and a few kids who just discovered the internet and want to make their "mmo".
It's ok to dream, but at least know the difference between dreams and reality.

Edit: they're not creating another engine, so no VB6

I think changing the name is pointless like other people said if you bought this site for that you should've just bought a whole new domain. This is Eclipse and however I do like your platform idea, I've seen you guys this team especially say somethings going to happen, and never does. So sorry not sorry, I have absolutely no faith, but good luck, because a platform is in the right direction but I don't think you'll come through this time. The reason the site is the way it is, has do to with that way you're running it, sucks to say but its the truth so if we wanna get anything done around here, put 100% effort because literally nothing has been done in almost years now, nothings work, everything's gotten worse. This is Eclipse, offer engines (what we already have) and offer support and resources, things of that sort, truly be a platform and not a rival. However that being said, Dr. House is right, why the hell would I want to post my game on BitRocket when IndieDB I will get so many more unique views. I don't know what to do, but whatever you do, good luck because nothings worked in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
Acid, that's a good point and it's also one reason I wanted to change the name. However, we've decided that we will probably just keep the name or some form of it. We'll probably move ahead with the name "Eclipse Gaming | 2D Orpg Engine" or something along those lines.

```
People thinking that I'm a dictator based on decisions:

I'll establish a system where trusted staff members are on a board (not like a business) but the board will help vote on decisions for the site that can GREATLY impact it negatively or positively. This will stop me from having the power alone to destroy the site with biased decisions.

Members afraid of abuse due to the past: We're creating strict guidelines about how staff will handle situations. This will also come to voting in the end. Staff will build a case against a members before that member can be banned. A staff members would need to have evidence against the member which goes against the rules and guidelines of the site, but to make it even more comftorable that staff members will need to present it to the other staff (Being the staff that handle member altercations or general forum disruption, not every staff member) then they will need x amount of votes passed in order to carry out the ban. The ban will still need to follow the guidelines, ex. Members broke x rule which is punishable by x amount day ban. The only time voting will not be needed is when a staff members mutes a member, they will however need to provide proof within the log. I and the other managers will keep a eye on these logs in case any disputes are made.
```

Oh shit Agora- your moderator tyranny is going to come to an end if this is true. You've been here since the era where Eclipse turned shitty- looks like it's time for a change of faces to make the moderators actually moderate instead of banning and muting people they don't like.

You just banned me from shoutbox for racism when I said nothing racist- so now we see if Link is a man who does what he says or if he's just speaking nice to placate the masses and give false hope.

You banned me because you felt like it. A 2 year old grudge I barely remember.

–-------------------

I'm not sure on the name BitRocket- but it's your website, I just want to see a community like the good old days where we can have a good banter and see and test new games.

I'm uncertain of what the future holds- since the community has been very stagnant since Amish enacted his child-friendly policies. The freedom to joke and laugh has been stifled and the community has long felt like a place where you have to watch what you say, because the thought police (Agora and co) will come after you if you say something as a joke and it gets taken the wrong way. That's why so many people left- the spirit of Eclipse was the communal spirit and with power-hungry sycophants getting given the power they crave- the spirit was crushed under boot and thought-crime logic.

I've been telling you all for years what's needed to be done to make this community great and I've yet to see even one of my ideas put into practice. 
I've also been telling you all for years who the problem people are.

Anyone remember back when 5/6 of you ganged up against me in shoutbox and that teamspeak topic and ran me off when I told you that Crest was going to fuck you over? Who was it that said he was a power mongering turd licker? (Not in those exact words.) I told you. I told you a year and a half before he showed off his true colours.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'm saying "I told you so."

Let's Make Eclipse Great Again- and get rid of the people who're holding the community back through flagrant abuse of power and forcing their opinions, beliefs and interpretations upon people.

Everyone and their mother thinks they know how to make Eclipse great again. Me, I think we should invent a time machine and go back to when 2D ORPG engines were popular because 3D wasn't feasible. As an alternative I would suggest growing up and realizing that nothing gold can stay, ponyboy.

Maybe I should name it "Let's ban house as she contributes jackshit but negativity"

But I feel like banning you would hender the community as you've done so much for us here at Eclipse. It would be a great loss in which we could not possibly come back from. The true ending of the website. You've won, House, you're now at the pinnacle of Eclipse…the top of the food chain of the site and to be honest I have no comeback to match your pure genius. I've really dug myself into a hole this time. What do we do next oh great messiah who knows everything and comments on everything!!?!?!

Chill out, it was just a damn joke.
Interesting how you only see my "negative" posts, and the positive ones where either I help either I just say something to encourage someone, you ignore them, or maybe even those you think are negative.

It's not the community that is wrong, or the situation of the eclipse atm, it's You, you never knew how to do "jackshit" but to make apology threads and say everything will get better when obviously everything got worse.

You can ban me if you want, it's your choice, let's see how well you start something new by doing that, it's not like many people care about me here anyway, but I'm sure they won't stand beside your ass when you're talking big about positive changes while you make negative moves.