Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for dedicated team

TW1ST3D-L337

Looking for a dedicated team, to create our first game together.

Hey guys, Aaron here. I'm looking for a dedicated team to work on the first game
that's been planned to hopefully kick start a new company.

The game I want to create still needs to be planned, story written etc. I want to establish at least a few team members before planning starts to really make it a team effort; The team will sit down, brainstorm ideas and finally the story writers will put it all together. Once this is done, the rest of the team (including myself) will work on our respected areas to build the game as efficiently as possible.

I have a few ideas on what the game could be about, contain etc. etc.

The reason I want a dedicated team is because if this all goes well and a company is formed then I would like the original team to run their respected areas if and when we gain more members.

A little about myself:
Firstly as you now know, my name is Aaron. I'm 23 years old and have been involved in many parts of the I.T industry since I was about 14\. I actually studied and completed NVQ level 1 and 2 in Professional hospitality and catering, A-Levels in Barbering and I also studied I.T A-level and City and Guilds Level 7 in computer game Programming.

Some of the skills I can bring to the team include:
- Computer coding (HTML, CSS, C++, VISUAL BASIC)
- Musical Ideas (I play drums, guitar and piano)
- Descriptive writing and storytelling
- Business knowledge and some contact (I have previously owned the majority
share in a previous company)

The goal:
The target for all this is to create our first game which can kickstart and show off some of our skills and pave the way for hopefully a very good future.

Short term goals (1 year):
- Have a first game released (with updates pending)
- Start to build a small but good community for our team
- Have a website up and running

Team vacancies:
- Storyboard writer (3 vacancies available)
- Artist (2 vacancies available)
- Web Developer (1 vacancy available)
- Mapper (4 vacancies available)
- Programmer (2 vacancies available)
- Item/Armour etc. creator (1 vacancy available)
- Planner (This involves class and level progression) (1 vacancy available)

Candidates must be:
- At least 16 years old
- Polite, friendly
- Dedicated
- Have at least some experience in the position applied for
- Willing to progress
- Work well as a team
- Driven

Although this is a unpaid job right now, there may be room to pay later on when we get more established.

Please apply with a short description on what you would bring to the team and why you would make a successful member of the team.

I look forward to hearing from you.

@'Minko':

> Could be interested, are you able to give us some more information on the game you wish to create?

The game and almost everything about it is open for discussion, I want it to be a team effort where we brainstorm ideas and then the story writers adapt and polish the story up. It will probably take about 6 months to get anywhere with the initial development of the game.

What I think PD is implying is that you basically wrote a fancy post asking for other people to make a game for you to ''sell'' as your own and your ''company'' its property.. for free. So, with your offer of absolutely zilch you have also seemingly provided zero actual input or progress to the project so far, making your intentions a little questionable. So you didn't actually answer his question. :P

@'Joyce':

> What I think PD is implying is that you basically wrote a fancy post asking for other people to make a game for you to ''sell'' as your own and your ''company'' its property.. for free. So, with your offer of absolutely zilch you have also seemingly provided zero actual input or progress to the project so far, making your intentions a little questionable. So you didn't actually answer his question. :P

If that is how it seems then it is unintentional.

I do not want a game to sell, I want us as a team to work on a game which will be the first piece to a company I would want to form around the team that comes from this game. In all honesty all I have done so far is some research. The reason for this is I have a plan on how things will get done and it involves having other team members.

Yes I understand I am asking people to do this for free, however if a company is formed as a result of this then each team member will be given the opportunity to play and remain a vital role and we will see what we can do about making money from this venture and paying people.

You're still not bringing anything to the table.

Do you program?
Do you write?
Do you make music?
Do you make GFX?
Do you have money?
Do you have valuable connections?
Do you know how to run a community?

Right now you're just the dude who came up with the idea to make a team. Also, the chances of creating a profitable game are slim, let alone with Eclipse. So I know for a fact that no company will come from this.
Not trying to bash or anything, but can you do any of these things?

@'Abyss':

> You're still not bringing anything to the table.
>
> Do you program?
> Do you write?
> Do you make music?
> Do you make GFX?
> Do you have money?
> Do you have valuable connections?
> Do you know how to run a community?
>
> Right now you're just the dude who came up with the idea to make a team. Also, the chances of creating a profitable game are slim, let alone with Eclipse. So I know for a fact that no company will come from this.
> Not trying to bash or anything, but can you do any of these things?

Okay let me answer those questions for you:
- I can programme in multiple languages, c++ being my favoured language
- I do not write music although I have used fruitloops in the past and I do play 3 musical instruments (guitar, drums and piano)
- GFX is something I havn't touched upon alot myself
- I write descriptive story's and have done for many years
- I have some money and business knowledge
- I have a few connections as I studied level 7 computer game development for a brief period
- I am very good at running communities and love the human interaction

perhaps my thread needs redesigning to look more professional and inviting, and I will do that will some more thought out planning.
I understand that a profitable game coming from eclipse is slim but I also have other avenues I want to explore as a company for revenue.

I know you're not trying to bash and your input and feedback is welcome.

I hope that answered some of your questions

@'TW1ST3D-L337':

> Updated to be more informative. Hope this helps.

That's much better. Now I actually feel interested in possibly joining the team. Most likely in a creative writing/world-building/planning role since work kills my time to do serious programming but I'll hold off for now.

Good luck with the team and hopefully you'll find some team members.

@'PD':

> @'TW1ST3D-L337':
>
> > Updated to be more informative. Hope this helps.
>
> That's much better. Now I actually feel interested in possibly joining the team. Most likely in a creative writing/world-building/planning role since work kills my time to do serious programming but I'll hold off for now.
>
> Good luck with the team and hopefully you'll find some team members.

Thanks, your input is much appreciated. I hope this is clearer and more engaging to potential team members.

I could help. Im 17 and work as a graphic designer and (short story) writing is one of my hobbies, don't know what else would be needed, I could help in storyboard writer with ideas and give opinions on the planer position. So long story short storyboard writer. if you want proof of my writing add me on skype madalin.vlad.design and I'll send some short things I write, they're not really proof that I am good at writing stories, more like good with words, if you want to check more send me a test of sorts, but not too long, you need to test my imagination, not my patience. As for work time, since it'd be a hobby thing only in some weekends and maybe one or two hours in weekdays.

@'MadalinV':

> I could help. Im 17 and work as a graphic designer and (short story) writing is one of my hobbies, don't know what else would be needed, I could help in storyboard writer with ideas and give opinions on the planer position. So long story short storyboard writer. if you want proof of my writing add me on skype madalin.vlad.design and I'll send some short things I write, they're not really proof that I am good at writing stories, more like good with words, if you want to check more send me a test of sorts, but not too long, you need to test my imagination, not my patience. As for work time, since it'd be a hobby thing only in some weekends and maybe one or two hours in weekdays.

Thank you for your application, I will contact you shortly.

@'TW1ST3D-L337':

> Team vacancies:
> - **_Storyboard writer_** (**_3_** vacancies available)
> - Artist (**_2_** vacancies available)
> - Web Developer (1 vacancy available)
> - Mapper (**_4_** vacancies available)
> - Programmer (**_2_** vacancies available)
> - **_Item/Armour etc. creator_** (1 vacancy available)
> - **_Planner (This involves class and level progression)_** (1 vacancy available)

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/UogSmj4xDjQZO/giphy.gif)

EDIT: actually, I suppose this is more appropriate. I love Giphy. :>

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/FCeqsn7FF2xIQ/giphy.gif)

@'Exception':

> @'TW1ST3D-L337':
>
> > Team vacancies:
> > - **_Storyboard writer_** (**_3_** vacancies available)
> > - Artist (**_2_** vacancies available)
> > - Web Developer (1 vacancy available)
> > - Mapper (**_4_** vacancies available)
> > - Programmer (**_2_** vacancies available)
> > - **_Item/Armour etc. creator_** (1 vacancy available)
> > - **_Planner (This involves class and level progression)_** (1 vacancy available)
>
> ![](https://media.giphy.com/media/UogSmj4xDjQZO/giphy.gif)
>
> EDIT: actually, I suppose this is more appropriate. I love Giphy. :>
>
> ![](https://media.giphy.com/media/FCeqsn7FF2xIQ/giphy.gif)

?

This will come across as blunt, my intent is not of a personal attack so please do not take it as such.
Please do read this in careful detail and think over it for a little while before replying.

I would've thought it a bit…obvious, truth be told, but eh, we can go from the top:

* You have 14 available positions in total, even a good amount of tech startups don't have this kind of requirement. Creating a big team where you're asking for volunteer work is a surefire recipe for disaster: people simply will not fully commit, you will create dependency loops where somebody cannot function without somebody else having done something, inevitably with no aligned view, there will be internal conflict.

* Of these available positions, a good amount of them are…silly. Following:

* Storyboard writer? Why do you need 3 of them, let alone 1? You writing something inspired by Tolstoy or something? For a small-time game, it's not that hard to come up with a cohesive story amongst your team or even by yourself.

* Artists? You only need 1\. Having 2 just asks for conflicting styling (contrary to what it might look like, asking them to standardise their styles _is_ a big ask for artists).

* Web Dev is acceptable, however I'd argue that it can be consolidated into something else as a large bulk of the work will come from initial development, you just rely on semi-regular content upkeep from there.

* Mappers? 4? This is silly. Why do you need 4 mappers and then still need more content creators on top of that? Just go for 2/3 well rounded content developers.

* You only need 1 programmer.

* See Mappers @ Item/Armour etc creator.

* Planner? I don't understand, why do you need a "planner"? What are **you** doing, then, if not managing projects at the very least?

* Actually, seriously, what on Earth are you doing? You've listed your skillset, yet you don't appear to be filling any given role? And don't give me a generic "bit of everything" answer.

Really, what needs to happen here is a good amount of consolidation. You should need no more than a developer and a programmer (and maybe an artist) starting out, you can upscale as you go.

Now to generally address the opening post:

* "I'm looking for a dedicated team to work on the first game". What is it? Reading the topic tells me you don't actually have anything planned, so this is nothing more than a group of people getting together to spin ideas. Ideas are cheap.

* "The team will sit down, brainstorm ideas and finally the story writers will put it all together. Once this is done, the rest of the team (including myself) will work on our respected areas to build the game as efficiently as possible.". Surefire way to build up zero momentum and lose it before it's even started. Just get working on a prototype.

* The bit about yourself, I don't really care that much about your qualifications, I just want to know what you'll bring to the table. What do I gain by working with you instead of however many other people I know want to team up and do something.

* Long-term goal is hilariously open-ended and doesn't tell me much about direction.

* Short-term goals are…obvious. Tell us a bit more than what you should hopefully have to show for a years work, regardless.

* Your eligibility conditions for candidates is an impossible standard to attain.

* "No pay now, but maybe later". Nononono. You either set up for one thing or the other. Profit or for fun. Don't bring expectations that potentially cannot be realised into the mix. If your intention is profit, you should invest as such and I'll just say that you won't get much success out of hobbyist development forums, anyway.

As it stands right now, this topic is no different than anything I've seen in the past x years on creating the super team where everybody will magically agree and everything will be roses and sunshine and you'll fart out a game every x instances.

If you can address all of these points, things will look a lot more cohesive to me.

Also adding to that Exception said, why would a startup company want to use vb6 in any way shape or form? Thats like Starting a company to release new games for the n64, except a company releasing games for 64 might actually have a chance. Why not use a modern language with a modern game engine.

@'Marsh':

> He is looking for a team not advice on how to build one. A lot of good times with friends building a game started just like this.

"friends"

that aside, the OP makes it pretty clear they they want to build a team to hopefully eventually develop commercial games, what's wrong with me pointing out what I can see is wrong to help that chance?

Yea fair enough, I missed that part. Professional may not start here, but a small indie game could. That being said VB6 may not be the best pick for anything but a fun little project so you guys are right about that.