Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming Contest

aaaron

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> I'll see if I can get a hold of Stephan within the next month and find out if he will be a judge for this.

That'll be awesome.

> Also, question, howcomes VB6 and C# is fine (Deprecated and .NET regardless, respectively), yet VB.NET isn't?

Simply forgot it. I had in mind all major languages at the time. Added.

> What about Flash can we add flash to this list to cause I could make this a mean game in flash ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

Will there be some way of viewing the source code?

The whole point of the contest is not only to make a fun virtual pet, but to have good, clean, and optimized code.

> Mrsh, you want to judge the C/C++ submissions? Only person I know that is intermediate+ in either, unless Elliott can get Stephan to do it.

If Stephan won't do it I will…I'll still try to get him to do it though.

I won't officially be submitting myself in this contest.

Thanks,

Aeroplane

> If Stephan won't do it I will…I'll still try to get him to do it though.
>
> I won't officially be submitting myself in this contest.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Magical Aeroplane

Or that works. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png) Didn't mean to throw ya under the bus or anything might not mentioning ya.

> Or that works. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png) Didn't mean to throw ya under the bus or anything might not mentioning ya.

Nah, I led you under the impression that I would enter, which I decided not to.

At any rate, once I add more stuff I'll be posting my sample up here.

Thanks,

Aeroplane

Proposed Evaluation Rhetoric:

Score: 0-100

Categories:

Encapsulation ( 15% )

Naming Conventions ( 5% )

Error Handling ( 15% )

Object Handling ( 15% )

Condition Management ( 10% )

Performance ( 15% )

General Requirements ( 20% )

Overall Readability ( 5% )

> Why the languages you specified? Why not just let people use whatever?
>
> I'm debating whether or not I should make one, I don't really care about win8\. Maybe I'll just make one text based in python.

The problem with supporting multiple languages is the fact that we have to find qualified judges to evaluate the source code of the entry. If anyone can step forward and say, "I can adequately judge this based on the evaluation rhetoric provided" then I see no problem with anyone using Python. So in the end, it's all up to who can judge it and if Aaron gives the go-ahead.

> The problem with supporting multiple languages is the fact that we have to find qualified judges to evaluate the source code of the entry. If anyone can step forward and say, "I can adequately judge this based on the evaluation rhetoric provided" then I see no problem with anyone using Python. So in the end, it's all up to who can judge it and if Aaron gives the go-ahead.

oh, that makes sense.

> Anybody good at ActionScript?
>
> Marshy Dearest, are you proficient with ActionScript?

> The reason those are specified are because easy languages such as BASIC and Python are just too easy to make something such as a virtual pet, that's why I didn't add them. Along with what Budwieser said too.

Conflict of interest, no?

Actionscript is actually pretty close to a programming language now a days. AS3 has more advanced techniques and is definitely harder to pick up then basic. For this type of game it shouldnt be very hard in any language. Though flash would definitely be the easiest to get graphics going.