Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Developer

Marsh

Alright guys, i will create the vote when enough people respond to this. Can you guys shoot me a quick pm saying that you entered? The topic is a bit of a mess. Some people claimed they were entering then didnt have any engine. Others mentioned it and happen to have a custom version.

If you want to be in the vote PM ME RIGHT NOW WITH YOUR NAME AND LINK TO A CUSTOM VERSION.

As far as i know the list is currently about 3-4 people?

Ertzel

Exception?

Rob Janes?

Nyan

Anyone else? Exception are you still entering?

Entries i know about

Name: Deathbeam/Nyan

Engine: Eclipse Reborn: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/130284-eclipse-reborn/

Name: Rob Janes

Engine: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/129958-eclipse-some-unique-name-here/

Download Link: http://www.samugames.com/eclipse/EORJ_ReleaseCandidate_3.zip

I like ER because it's fast and i like the UI but lacks the most important things like quest feature, a game without quests can get boring.

I don't like Rob's engine UI but that can be changed no problem, and i love the features, like 8 dir movement, quests, and some other stuff on attacking.

I really can't choose… i like both engines

I kind of half-ass entered. But seeing as I can no longer code anything involving DX3D rendering and thats what my version was made in, there is no point in including me with the voting. If I where to somehow become the Dev I'd need to use DX7 rendering and re-make the engine from a base EO all over again.

> I like ER because it's fast and i like the UI but lacks the most important things like quest feature, a game without quests can get boring.
>
> I don't like Rob's engine UI but that can be changed no problem, and i love the features, like 8 dir movement, quests, and some other stuff on attacking.
>
> I really can't choose… i like both engines

I will add great quest system later, look what i posted in ER thread, it will be directly connected to Event system and vice versa ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

> I kind of half-ass entered. But seeing as I can no longer code anything involving DX3D rendering and thats what my version was made in, there is no point in including me with the voting. If I where to somehow become the Dev I'd need to use DX7 rendering and re-make the engine from a base EO all over again.

Still you do not have fixed PC? ![:D](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png)

> I have no plans to advertise here what I will add in the future, I don't want to make any promises. All I can say is that for Eclipse, I think the new developer should rely on a team and not an individual.

> I have no plans to advertise here what I will add in the future, I don't want to make any promises. All I can say is that for Eclipse, I think the new developer should rely on a team and not an individual.

Agreed

I think everyone generally concurs that it should be team based and organized. There should only be ONE legitimate Eclipse engine that falls under "Eclipse" with no prefix or suffix. Custom versions can maintain a suffix, but should be secondary at best to the primary engine.

I just had an outstanding idea that I think should be looked into. Instead of customizing Eclipse through hard-coding why can you guys not work on modulation? The base engine includes editors for the map, items, and npc's. The user can then scour the site for "modules" (scripting files) that they can install to customize the engine to their liking? Why was this never done?

> I just had an outstanding idea that I think should be looked into. Instead of customizing Eclipse through hard-coding why can you guys not work on modulation? The base engine includes editors for the map, items, and npc's. The user can then scour the site for "modules" (scripting files) that they can install to customize the engine to their liking? Why was this never done?

Eclipse Evolution.

> A quick search didn't pull up anything aside from this topic.

I use to be mod of the scripting board and I would post scripts that people would copy + paste at the bottom of their main.txt file and the feature would be fully implemented.

It eventually made a huge main.txt which was very slow.

> I use to be mod of the scripting board and I would post scripts that people would copy + paste at the bottom of their main.txt file and the feature would be fully implemented.
>
> It eventually made a huge main.txt which was very slow.

Well, that's why it needs to be modular and not "dump everything into this one solution".

*Edit for horrible spelling errors. Oops.

Modules would be nice, but you're talking about a substancial rewrite of an existing engine that still needs a lot of TLC. I think technical and performance increases should be the biggest priority with the official Eclipse build. Too be honest, I wouldn't want my custom version to be the 'official' download. The official build should be thoroughly debugged first, there are ample spots where optimization can occur, long before you consider adding additional features to the stock build. While quests, 8 directional movement, pseudo-lighting and guilds are nice to have, they'll perform as poorly as the engine itself. I'm not knocking EO as it stands, but it has a LOT of room for improvement with the correct guidance and team. I regret not using that as a starting point for my custom engine in the first place. As I started working on Aloria I realized how many places improvements really could be made, and how much useless network traffic was used. You wouldn't begin to imagine the results I found using a SendData() debugger, PM me if you want log files of the SendData() debugging to see how quickly data was being sent for no justifiable reason aside from some poor placement of 'If' statements.

Regardless of who becomes the new developer, it'll be up to the community decide, at the end of the day, it's you guys, the users who will decide to fate of Eclipse and where it's headed (within VB6).

Goodluck Deathbeam! I truly mean it, while it's indeed a competition, you've put a lot of time into your engine!

> *Edit for horrible spelling errors. Oops.
>
> Modules would be nice, but you're talking about a substancial rewrite of an existing engine that still needs a lot of TLC. I think technical and performance increases should be the biggest priority with the official Eclipse build. Too be honest, I wouldn't want my custom version to be the 'official' download. The official build should be thoroughly debugged first, there are ample spots where optimization can occur, long before you consider adding additional features to the stock build. While quests, 8 directional movement, pseudo-lighting and guilds are nice to have, they'll perform as poorly as the engine itself. I'm not knocking EO as it stands, but it has a LOT of room for improvement with the correct guidance and team. I regret not using that as a starting point for my custom engine in the first place. As I started working on Aloria I realized how many places improvements really could be made, and how much useless network traffic was used. You wouldn't begin to imagine the results I found using a SendData() debugger, PM me if you want log files of the SendData() debugging to see how quickly data was being sent for no justifiable reason aside from some poor placement of 'If' statements.
>
> Regardless of who becomes the new developer, it'll be up to the community decide, at the end of the day, it's you guys, the users who will decide to fate of Eclipse and where it's headed (within VB6).
>
> Goodluck Deathbeam! I truly mean it, while it's indeed a competition, you've put a lot of time into your engine!

I agree.