Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The "ban wave"

Link

This post, which really shouldn't need to be made, is being made so that I can explain myself and defend the Eclipse staff team. So I see a lot of you complaining about people being banned left and right…just hold the horses for a second.

I'm going to break down something really simple, as I don't know how you've missed it. The so called "left to right" bans were like 4 people, ok so let's get to the nitty gritty shall we?

Yuko - Banned because she stole the database.

Daxterxx - Banned for posting profanity all over the site, being racist and generally not giving a fuck about Eclipse (however me and him hashed it out and talked like adults, there's no beef there)

House - Banned for literally running members away with her negativity. Bringing my personal life to Eclipse (which I don't even know why she's on my facebook) it's just fucking creepy, I'd hope you wouldn't be upset over the reason she was banned. I mean, what if I was stalking your facebook?

God - I guess he was banned because he went on daily rants, a lot of racism (I think he even called Carim like a half breed moron at some point) in which there were shit tons of proof to back this up.

CMFiend - Banned because he literally sent members pms asking to go to another site, which this is not the part I cared about...you can pm whatever the hell you want, however he started taking his "cause" to public posts and trying to shame the site. I literally tried to be civil with this kid on skype and asked him to please stop posting this shit publicly and he basically told me to fuck off. Why should I allow someone to shame our site and not be able to do anything about it? Expressing your opinion and breaking the rules are two different things.

THESE are the only bans that I know of that have happened within the last...say 6months to a year? This is what you guys call a ban wave. Please take a moment to reflect on not only these members, but your own life if you think for some reason they deserved to stick around. A lot of you are using this to fuel your own personal agenda. I'll add also that some of these members have made MULTIPLE accounts posing as "new curious" members in order to make the situation even more dramatic, ironically as new as they are...they're already picking sides...isn't it funny that's it's always the opposite side of Eclipse?? 

Can I also add that there have been plenty of instances where I should have banned someone and wouldn't have looked wrong doing it. Around this time not long ago, I was the most hesitant person when it came to banning and in fact I didn't like doing it at all. You guys have somehow managed to make me stop caring about what people think when I take action, so thanks for that.

I have no doubt that any of these individuals are cool in a lot of ways, but I can't help that they made fucked up decisions. Also, for those of you claiming it's a specific staff member just going on rage bans, please just stop. Multiple staff back these bans up and there are proof of these bans. We're not required to explain ourselves to everyone who asks why someone was banned. It's like some random ass kid on steam contacting support and asking why their friend was banned. The people reading the ticket will probably laugh and then ignore it. We're obviously not on a steam scale, but the point is ...that's pretty much how any platform, website or forum is ran...so why are you treating this one any differently? I'll tell you why.

A lot of people know Eclipse is weak right now, and it's barely hanging on to life, hell I'd argue there's nothing to hang on to, but it's not right of the "loving" members to keep attacking it. I stand by all decisions made by any staff who has banned someone and my own decisions to ban people.

That's a wave? I think these people need to learn what a ban wave is… collecting data over a certain period of time and then using this information to ban 100+ people simultaneously would be a ban wave. This is definitely targeted bans and justified publicly (which you should not of had to do...)

Pretty simple... don't steal shit, don't be racist, don't be psycho cyber stalker, don't get banned!

@'Mohenjo:

> Die, this kind of was a wave, there were about 3 bans in a week, that's what people were calling a wave, sure you can say 5 in a year, but 3 in a week can be considered a wave.

no, that's people sticking their noses in matters that do not concern them and blowing it out of proportion. 

Whether it happened in a week or spread over several months doesn't matter, the simple fact is that the catalyst for their bans occurred and they were all justified. Good riddance, I say.

I'm not saying if it was good riddance or not and that has nothing to do with it being a ban wave, to me, 3 bans in a week is a wave, take that how you will, ya'll will probably take it as a bash against the staff when it's not, nor is it saying it shouldn't have happened, I'm just saying it was a wave. If you want a comparison, if you rob 5 cars over a year vs 5 cars in a week, you'll call the 5 in a week a spree. (Maybe I should call it a ban spree? Would that make ya'll happy?)

@'Mohenjo:

> I'm not saying if it was good riddance or not and that has nothing to do with it being a ban wave, to me, 3 bans in a week is a wave, take that how you will, ya'll will probably take it as a bash against the staff when it's not, nor is it saying it shouldn't have happened, I'm just saying it was a wave. If you want a comparison, if you rob 5 cars over a year vs 5 cars in a week, you'll call the 5 in a week a spree. (Maybe I should call it a ban spree? Would that make ya'll happy?)

…I can't even begin to address the illogical...absurdity towards likening car robbery to bans.

(…just take the whole list, and work it out yourself, I've already exhausted myself from this post alone: [Logical Fallacies](https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/))

> A ban wave is a large scale event (usually gaming related), in which certain parties/accounts get permanently barred from services, for major disruptions. An event like this will usually occur as retaliation against those who are unable to play the game normally, and resort to cheating and using cheating clients.

In general a Ban Wave is collected information over a certain time period, then action is taken against those accounts all at once. [[b]From here on I will be talking about botting] This prevents botters knowing exactly what flagged them as cheaters and thus slows patches/changes to the Bot by its developers to get around the detection. That's why, as an example, Rune Scape has loads of botters on line for a long time. (my opinion >) Jagex waits and collects bot information about where the bot takes you, what you do etc and when the next ban wave comes your account is banned. Its win-win for them as this doesn't give away how they detected it and they still get rid of the botters.