Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help on deciding which language to use.

zeph77

Alright guys me again yes… This time I want to ask a question that still makes me think whether I should move on or just improve on what I have.

Basically I have been learning C++ for 2 years and this was all by myself. It was the first programming language I ever learned and I grasped it well after a year or so. I've been seeing a lot of people stating C# is much more easier and I tried C# out which has a really nice UI maker for windows thats much easier than the C++ version.

So my question is should I continue to advance in C++ since I know more about it or should I move onto C# to make things more easier for me still as a beginner. I never really made any programs with C++ other than a space shooter game with a tutorial mostly helping and doing the work, I made the start of a game I wanted with a screen and some buttons for the menu which switches states.

There are some things though that make C# a bit different for me and make it much bigger and thats the fact that you can use other keywords in functions to give them a stronger feel:

static public void funName()

{

}

and other keywords I never really dealt with like: forEach and what not which doesn't bother me too much. All in all I just want to know what would be a good choice. I'm still considered a beginner since I never programmed anything serious and I want to do something constructive and maybe later deal with games. The only api I used in C++ was Allegro5 which is really nice and easy but there has to be something a bit more simple and effective. I plan to at least get a job as a web developer or a software dev/programmer. I go to college but I know they won't help me actually make programs.

> Alright guys me again yes… This time I want to ask a question that still makes me think whether I should move on or just improve on what I have.
>
> Basically I have been learning C++ for 2 years and this was all by myself. It was the first programming language I ever learned and I grasped it well after a year or so. I've been seeing a lot of people stating C# is much more easier and I tried C# out which has a really nice UI maker for windows thats much easier than the C++ version.
>
> So my question is should I continue to advance in C++ since I know more about it or should I move onto C# to make things more easier for me still as a beginner. I never really made any programs with C++ other than a space shooter game with a tutorial mostly helping and doing the work, I made the start of a game I wanted with a screen and some buttons for the menu which switches states.
>
> There are some things though that make C# a bit different for me and make it much bigger and thats the fact that you can use other keywords in functions to give them a stronger feel:
>
> static public void funName()
>
> {
>
> }
>
> and other keywords I never really dealt with like: forEach and what not which doesn't bother me too much. All in all I just want to know what would be a good choice. I'm still considered a beginner since I never programmed anything serious and I want to do something constructive and maybe later deal with games. The only api I used in C++ was Allegro5 which is really nice and easy but there has to be something a bit more simple and effective. I plan to at least get a job as a web developer or a software dev/programmer. I go to college but I know they won't help me actually make programs.

"static public void funName()" isn't valid C# code, regardless of whether it's pseudo or not. From what you've said you've spent the last two years very unwisely in terms of learning anything remotely close to what would be considered the norm. Mrsh and I are examples of people who have came from a mediocre background in programming to being intermediate or better in less than a month at the languages we chose (or were forced) to learn (those being C++ and C#, respectively).

There is no "easy" way out. You either learn it from the ground up or you'll be stuck at the level in which you're at right now, and that's nothing more than "I can copy/paste and make slight modifications!" I know all of this may sound very condescending and like I'm ripping you apart, but trust me when I say that there is a method to my madness; here it is:

Choose a language. Your two chosen options are obviously C++ and C#. Pick one. It doesn't make a difference which one it is, regardless of what anyone else has said to you. Just choose. Now dependent on your choice find a comprehensive e-book on that language. For C#, I can recommend "Visual C# 2010 Step by Step". Once you have your e-book, read it from front to back. If you don't understand something read it again. Read it until you DO understand it. If you fail to understand it, regardless of how many times you've re-read it, start reading the book from the very beginning and skip nothing. This e-book should cover the following list of subjects that you absolutely need to know:

1) Value Types & References

2) Member Types & Accessors

3) Inheritance, Polymorphism, Interfaces

4) Events and Delegates

5) Extension Methods & Lambda Expressions

6) Memory Management

Learn all of those inside and out, and doors will swing wide the hell open for you. Good luck to you, and if you need any further help, I'll be glad to oblige.

I personally suggest sticking with C and C++ first to learn the fundamentals of programming and to give you a base.

After you get C++ down to the point where you know everything about data management and classes, you're set to learn Java and C# with _ease_. I wouldn't suggest switching languages just yet, but in time it will be easier.

Thanks everyone for your input as I really appreciate it. I've just had a hard time with actually making something out of what I already know. To be honest I'm starting to see more C# jobs so thats probably a good way to start off and XNA seems like a very helpful SDK to use for games and stuff. I guess ill start learning C# more, I understand classes and such already and I use them mostly when making objects so Ill give it a go. Ill see if I can get that book you mentioned and start learning some stuff. There was some online tutorials I saw but the person uses windows forms app mostly which doesn't explain how to make things without having to actually use the forms. Kinda like with C++ you use the console first then you step into a more graphical approach. I just see theres more tutorials on C# now so it would be easier to get help. Thanks again everyone and I hope I can get somewhere with this.

~Zeph