Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Line of Sight Spells

IceCream Tuesday

Okay..

![](http://i.imgur.com/KeyPB.png)

Pretty much, for judging the range and all, the spell will have two variables. View, and Distance which determine through a formula to figure a cone shape.

EDIT: To explain further, You cast a spell, the only effected area will the the Line of sight for the spell in front of the character. So in the image I posted. your character is the blue block, facing the direction of the red shape. You cast a "Wind Twist" spell only the red area that goes out 3 tiles for its area of effect. Then say you have a rank up for that spell, so when casting "Wind Cyclone" the damage is out 6 spots and outwards 4\. Which balanced with the other basic spell styles could make for a exciting combat play.

As well as maybe setting a map attribute to be either ground blocks, or a wall block. Ground allowing spells pass, walls stopping the Line of sight.

Got a few other ideas.. So I'm going to contribute its been a while.

> Could you explain it a bit more better?

To explain further, You cast a spell, the only effected area will the the Line of sight for the spell in front of the character. So in the image I posted. your character is the blue block, facing the direction of the red shape. You cast a "Wind Twist" spell only the red area that goes out 3 tiles for its area of effect. Then say you have a rank up for that spell, so when casting "Wind Cyclone" the damage is out 6 spots and outwards 4\. Which balanced with the other basic spell styles could make for a exciting combat play.

Hope that explains it.

@ Sherwin

I'm hoping they will try to put at least a basic particle animation system. allowing for spreadable fire and lava.

> To explain further, You cast a spell, the only effected area will the the Line of sight for the spell in front of the character. So in the image I posted. your character is the blue block, facing the direction of the red shape. You cast a "Wind Twist" spell only the red area that goes out 3 tiles for its area of effect. Then say you have a rank up for that spell, so when casting "Wind Cyclone" the damage is out 6 spots and outwards 4\. Which balanced with the other basic spell styles could make for a exciting combat play.
>
> Hope that explains it.
>
> @ Sherwin
>
> I'm hoping they will try to put at least a basic particle animation system. allowing for spreadable fire and lava.

Well i hope they can do a Dx7 version too , because i use dx7 and studied it well , i never used dx8

A good idea to support this would be of someway to show the player the range and shape of this on the map. e.g. highlight the areas affected. If not the player will not know if their enemy is in range before casting the spell and will hinder the gameplay experience.

A good idea, glad you posted it.

~Kibbelz