Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which story line seems more fun to play?

zade_o

It's not going to be made with Eclipse which is why it's in this section.

Neither story line is very panned out at the moment because I'm trying to decide which to go with. The game is intended to be made in html5 and played anywhere: phones, tablets, computers, doesn't matter. Depending on game mechanics, considering adding the ability to use a phone/tablet to control the game while being played on a computer but we'll see.

So anyways, here's my options.

Story 1:

Player had been tasked with retrieving an item. After he obtained it, somehow slips and falls and gets knocked unconscious, or something along those lines. Game starts here, player comes to and leaves the tomb. Once he returns to his village he sees everyone's missing or has been killed. The entire game is a ton of puzzle solving, clue hunting, and riddle solving to figure out what happened. In the end the player realizes it was a dream and either wakes up or something in the game traps him in the dream.

I prefer this option because it gives that sense of being alone and lost with no direction.

Story 2:

Player had been tasked with retrieving an item. When he touches it, he's somehow taken to another world. (whether it be warped, or the cave collapses and he falls to another world, doesn't matter) This world could either look similar to the last one, or be otherworldly, and in this world just as the last everyone's missing or dead. However, in this story, the God's are tasking the character with figuring out what happened here, or obtaining an item to save this world and his original world.

I don't prefer this option because I think it's overly cliche and gives the player too much direction.

Although I have my preferences I would like to see which version of the story other people prefer as I won't be the one to play the game.

Both of those storylines kind of sound the same with a slight difference. WIth that being said i think the first option sounds better. Sounds a bit like the cliche boy hits his head and cant remember anything but having everyone dissapear changes it enough. Could be a inter

Well, as I said how it happens is open to change. I know they're both cliche, but with the God's giving the character direction it doesn't give that eerie feeling of not having a sense of direction that I feel like would immerse the player.

At the same time I feel like the worlds just getting lazier and people won't find a world like that as intriguing because they'll think "Oh idk what to do, I quit."

That could happen but it all depends on your audience. I know a lot of people hate skyrim type games becouse it doesnt give them enough direction and they dont know what to do. I think your just playing to a certain type of gaming. It is up to you to make your world interesting enough.

I like the first story best, however, the whole "Just a dream" plot twist is a little bit cheap and always seems more like a cop out than a mind blow.

If I might make a suggestion, the 'Player' could just be exploring when he finds the 'Object', not knowing what it is or why it's there. When the 'Player' goes to retrieve it, it turns out the 'Object' has been sealing away a 'Great Darkness' which is now unleashed upon his home village nearby. The reason the 'Player' is not taken by the 'Darkness' is because the 'Object' protects him in a comatose state. When the 'Player' awakens he returns to his village to find it empty and cold. Thus begins the game where he solves mysteries and seals away the 'Darkness' bit by bit, saving villagers as he continues, or he can save all the villagers at once when he seals away the 'Darkness' at the end of the game if you want to have a constant feeling of loneliness throughout the whole game. Personally, I prefer the former idea of saving one or two villagers when he seals away major parts of the 'Darkness' as this gives the 'Player' motivation to continue playing as he refills the village with people, which also gives the 'Player' a place of security to go back to so he never adapts to the 'Darkness' from prolonged adventures in it.

Good luck with your project. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Oh I definitely agree that it's played out.

Basically I just want to create a game that gives that sense of being the only one around that I got as a kid when I played myst. I wanted there to be some reason why all the villagers went missing without the player knowing and he has to solve puzzles to figure out why and or fix it. I can toy around with your idea as well, I like it. I just don't know if I'd want other characters to come around.

Maybe I could make it to where more and more characters could somehow talk to your player without actually being back yet.

Why not have the game start _before_ the item is retrieved? A short quest could serve to introduce and involve the player. That way, once everything goes wrong and the real plot starts, the player is already personally invested into the story.

I like the first one as-is the most. I agree with Renzo, however. Dismissing it all as a dream is very disappointing.

I think falling into a new world allows more room for creativity, but the first story might be your best bet. It all comes down to which story you think you could execute best.

Does the player REALLY have to conveniently trip and fall unconscious? Try something a bit more exciting or interesting. Heck, If you don't make it cheesy, the player could sneak off with his best friend or love interest to a 'scary' tomb or cave, in which they get stuck (possibly a landfall). By the time they clear the cave-in and escape, then they realise the tragedy. If you don't want the friend or love interest in the game, they could get seperated when the cave-in happens, or even killed from it.

Like I said, no, the player does not have to trip.

Everyone's focusing too much on the details forgetting that I said it's not planned out. The basic question is should the player have direction given to them or leave it more mysterious.

The way I saw it, starting before the item is retrieved killed the emotion that I wanted the first story to instill. However, I can see it working if the player retrieves the item and upon touching it the world changes (without the player knowing) so when he walks outside everyone's missing. And then as he solves puzzles he gets new information from some of the missing characters through some means. I'll just have to figure out a way to make it all tie together.