Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VB.Net 2008 problem with some things

abhi2011

So I am trying a very simple gaming client. Nothing much. I ripped the clsBuffer Class from EO and added it to the app. But now I have 2 problems not at all related to the ripping. (A bit cuz if I didn't rip it wouldn't have happened in the first place)

1) Much of the functions Exit Functions statements are erroring with the msg that the function doesn't return anything. I have added the return statement at the end of the function just like in the original source.

2) Then in another Function that returns an array, the tool says that Number of indices is less than the number of dimensions of the indexed array. ( I am Returning buffer())

3) And also there seems that there is no vbUnicode so I used the following code

```

System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.Get[type]

```
I am not sure if it will work so plzz tell me if it will work and if not any other code suggestions

Thanks

Abhi2011

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.text.encoding.ascii.aspx

Use that for help with Encoding. As far as some functions throwing a non-return error, make sure the return type matches the type of the function and that all code paths are returning a value (conditional statements may throw this if return is outside of their scope). I'd have to see the code for the array problem.

> Is it possible to not return anything? Cuz if I do return something there might be errors. (Not sure which all)
>
> Sure. (The code is the same as in VB) But here ya go
>
> ```
>
> Public Function ToArray() As Byte()
>
> ToArray = Buffer()
>
> End Function
>
> ```

If you're not returning anything then you shouldn't be using a function. If you're assigning the value of the Buffer() to a property then use a method to set it.

> If you're not returning anything then you shouldn't be using a function. If you're assigning the value of the Buffer() to a property then use a method to set it.

I am returning something but there is a check and if it is false it just exits the function. As u told the return wasn't within the scope of the IfStatement so I have to put a return statement there also (the part which exits the function) Now the question is how do I return null byte arrays?

EDIT: Never mind of return the null byte arrays. just found a better way (I think) return nothing. And I also wanted to ask does hitting a return statement make the program jump out of the function? (i.e exit it)

EDIT2: Fixed almost all errors other than just 1

```

Public Function ToString() As String

Return StrConv(Buffer, vbunicode)

End Function

```
This is the original code. vbUniCode is not defined so I used the System.Text.encoding.Ascii NameSpace but I can't find the function that is suitable for conversion of Bytes to a string format. Plzz advise.

> I am returning something but there is a check and if it is false it just exits the function. As u told the return wasn't within the scope of the IfStatement so I have to put a return statement there also (the part which exits the function) Now the question is how do I return null byte arrays?
>
> EDIT: Never mind of return the null byte arrays. just found a better way (I think) return nothing. And I also wanted to ask does hitting a return statement make the program jump out of the function? (i.e exit it)

Yes, it does. If you return null or nothing then you're going to have to have to run a HasValue() (nullables have a property called HasValue; what it does is pretty implicit) check on whatever you're working with.