Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DX with vb.net

abhi2011

> VB does also support XNA now.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27599

There's the link to download Refresh which is what is needed to install the templates and changes necessary to use XNA with VB.NET.

> Is VB6 dying out? XNA is no longer being developed, but it is surely supported on all of Window's latest machines, including the phones.

Except Windows RT devices (because it's a silly OS to begin with)

> Well, it's being replaced. So, yes, more or less.

Replaced with what? There hasn't been any announcements for a new managed library for DX11.

> Replaced with what? There hasn't been any announcements for a new managed library for DX11.

You're right. I thought I read somewhere there was a replacement coming, but I can't find anything on it.

The only thing I can find is quote on a MSDN page on creating games with DX11:

> For games that involve complex 2D graphics or 3D graphics, you can use the DirectX graphics libraries: Direct2D and Direct3D. You develop DirectX games using native C/C++, and if you never developed in these languages, you will find this a difficult place to get started, especially if you have never developed for Windows before.

It would appear they're just stopping it.. There's lots of questions about on the MSDN community pages.

So as Jeff said, it's not officially supported but it'll still get used.

> You're right. I thought I read somewhere there was a replacement coming, but I can't find anything on it.
>
> The only thing I can find is quote on a MSDN page on creating games with DX11:
>
> It would appear they're just stopping it.. There's lots of questions about on the MSDN community pages.
>
> So as Jeff said, it's not officially supported but it'll still get used.

Wrong again. It's fully supported on all Windows platforms except those running Windows RT.

Edit: All windows platforms running .NET 4.0, Shader 2.0, and DirectX 9.

> This is getting offtopic. But I would like to know more. ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

Little bit, but it's all general information relating to how you can use XNA with VB which is an excellent, feature complete way to do what you want to do.