Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dawn of Light - A Loom! +Crafting WIP

Vortigem

Just a small thing to share, I'm working on interiors for Dawn of Light now, which means crafting stations! I want them all to be animated so it's a bit of a process. Here is a video of my loom station in progress!

Edited by Vortigem

• Vortigem changed the title to Dawn of Light - A Loom! New crafting station :)
12 hours ago, Mohenjo Daro said:

Looks good. Don't think I've seen animated crafting stations here before, so kudos (might have to steal that idea later lmao)

Thanks Mohenjo! Lol do it. I enjoy the way that the animations add a bit of fun to the process. I like to imagine a new player making their first few kills and seeing that they have materials to work with, and being able to craft those pieces into starter armor in a few simple steps without a huge learning curve, while crafting becomes eventually more advanced for quality.

19 minutes ago, Vortigem said:

Thanks Mohenjo! Lol do it. I enjoy the way that the animations add a bit of fun to the process. I like to imagine a new player making their first few kills and seeing that they have materials to work with, and being able to craft those pieces into starter armor in a few simple steps without a huge learning curve, while crafting becomes eventually more advanced for quality.

I think I'll expand the idea of animations, as well. You have an animation for the station not being used (a still image in this case) and being used, but having the option of playing a different animation when actually crafting an item (assuming it takes time to craft) could also be cool.

Eg. the loom: still image normally, has the edges moving when the player is using it, and has the edges moving and thread being weaved when the player is crafting an item (again, requires there to be crafting times, eg. 5sec to make a cloak)

It's the little things in games that add immersion

1 hour ago, Mohenjo Daro said:

I think I'll expand the idea of animations, as well. You have an animation for the station not being used (a still image in this case) and being used, but having the option of playing a different animation when actually crafting an item (assuming it takes time to craft) could also be cool.

Eg. the loom: still image normally, has the edges moving when the player is using it, and has the edges moving and thread being weaved when the player is crafting an item (again, requires there to be crafting times, eg. 5sec to make a cloak)

It's the little things in games that add immersion

I like that a lot. With some minor coding, you could incorporate an ambient sound near the stations too, and then a sound effect for an item being crafted.

The forge is next on my list after I get some doodads going to fill the room here. The fire would look good in constant animation with a glow, and then when animated in use it would be simple to animate a glowing piece of metal being hammered into shape.

• Vortigem changed the title to Dawn of Light - A Loom! +Crafting WIP