Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Picking the right engine

Some newer members have had the problem of not knowing which engine to choose because there's a massive "variety" of engines. This topic is mostly about who the engine is for, advantages & disadvantages of some engines. I'll be happy to add more to the list on request.

**EO 2.0 and EclipseVB**

Who it's for:

EO 2.0 and EclipseVB are mostly for people who are willing to learn. It's a nice solid base for people learning and improving their understand of the language. I personally started out with this and messing with EO got me to a point where I can sit down and do pretty complicated stuff in VB.

Advantages:

Solid, clean base.

Well optimised and good memory management.

Disadvantages:

Creating a good game will require VB6 installed because it doesn't have many pre-built features.

**EO 2.3**

Who it's for:

EO 2.3 doesn't require that much learning; the event system is flexible enough to do some fairly complicated stuff but adding additional functionality through tutorials is always a must.

Advantages:

Doesn't require much programming knowledge - you can make a pretty good start on a game with the event system.

Disadvantages:

From what I've noticed it's fairly messily coded and the event system is poorly coded in terms of memory management.

**Eclipse - Some Unique Name Here**

Who it's for:

People who want to get right into building a game with no prior knowledge of programming.

Advantages:

Has a lot of ready to go features and optimisations.

Disadvantages:

It's built off EO 3.0 which is extremely poorly coded (much like 2.3) though Rob has made some significant optimisations.

**Not recommended engines:**

Eclipse Advanced: Extremely poorly coded (much worse than EO 3.0) and horrible with memory. Also has a load of useless features that you probably won't ever use.

Eclipse Reborn: It's the exact same thing under a different name.

Best Version is ….. Your Version

If you want to create an REAL Orpg and dont try to get some money with doing nothing...

If you got an Idea, enough time...

If youre not boored of making sprites, GUI, UI, Story, Events, Specials, Maps, NPC's and the really most needed CODING

If you learn vb6 (Whats really needed to do an ORPG... an ORPG never stops... there are every time Updates, new codes, new features e.c.t.

IF you got all or the most of them (Min. 3)

Then get EO 2.0 or EO 2.3 and do your own stuff.

And thats the best Engine for you..

Why ?

Because you know whats in in.

You know how the stuff works whats in it. (NEVER just copy paste really...)

You can do new stuff and Optimize the old :-)

And IF you can do all this then will you be unstoppable.

(Sorry, blablalba -> Bad englisch bla bla)

> Best Version is ….. Your Version
>
> If you want to create an REAL Orpg and dont try to get some money with doing nothing...
>
> If you got an Idea, enough time...
>
> If youre not boored of making sprites, GUI, UI, Story, Events, Specials, Maps, NPC's and the really most needed CODING
>
> If you learn vb6 (Whats really needed to do an ORPG... an ORPG never stops... there are every time Updates, new codes, new features e.c.t.
>
> IF you got all or the most of them (Min. 3)
>
> Then get EO 2.0 or EO 2.3 and do your own stuff.
>
> And thats the best Engine for you..
>
> Why ?
>
> Because you know whats in in.
>
> You know how the stuff works whats in it. (NEVER just copy paste really...)
>
> You can do new stuff and Optimize the old :-)
>
> And IF you can do all this then will you be unstoppable.
>
> (Sorry, blablalba -> Bad englisch bla bla)

Congratulations on stating the obvious but newer members aren't exactly good enough at VB6 yet to dive in and start programming straight away.

Naturally are new members not the best at coding but an ORPG isnt done in 1 week ;-) Learning and Optimize and then youll get an (Most) good ORPG…

Even if its just 2D it can take too... 2 Months - 1 Year (1 Year if its something biiiiiig (Not alpha / Beta))

Thats why i typed the 2nd If (enough time)

pffffff.. best engine is that who is configured by ur self so u know where and what is.

> **EO 2.0,** Advantages:
>
> Solid, clean base.
>
> Well optimised and good memory management.

+++

> Disadvantages:
>
> Creating a good game will require VB6 installed because it doesn't have many pre-built features.

That's not a disadvantage, it's a request for someone who want to make a game and develop it. . .

I'll repeat myself again. This topic is for newbies. I don't give a damn if you find it easy to program in VB6, newbies can't go straight into a language like that which makes it disadvantageous for certain kinds of people.

But, newbies have to learn something about this, although some engines offers so mutch features that there is not big need of a large knowage, but if in forum someone gives out bugfixes, then a newbie who have started work on his game should know how to change lines and edit eclipse project in vb6.

Without vb6 theyr bit more limited, if custom engine doesnt support some edits in *.ini files.

I understand that completely. What you clearly don't understand is that there are several types of people. There are people who want to test functionality and experiment and those people need engines with a couple of features. Sure, if they need to move on from that and they realise that EO 2.0 is the superior engine they will do so in their own time.

I was the one who caused this topic to exist - I asked a question in the chatbox that said essentially "WTF, there are so many versions, which should I use?" because, simply put, there are a lot and it was really confusing on where to start. I downloaded 2.3 because it seemed to be the main one, then I was told event system was laggy, so I tried 3.0, then I told it wasn't supported anymore, then I tried "generic engine name" and so on and so forth until finally I just went with vanilla 2.0 due to pure confusion. I don't regret this choice - now - but for the first hour or two I almost quit just from wanting to slam my face against a wall.

Too many people on these forums seem to forget where they started. I personally have absolutely no VB6 experience. It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to find the admin panel because it was hidden when I loaded VB6 for the first time.

However, I have the advantage of programming experience & working around programming. So many people do not. So many people have never written a single line of code in any language. Baby steps exist for a reason. That feeling of accomplishment they get when create a spell that does what they want it to do is what will hook them and give them the motivation to learn more.

That feeling of failure when they want to know how to do something, can't figure it out themselves because they don't quite understand coding, and don't get good support from the forums will be what drives them away.

I might actually find this useful for myself. I haven't been able to work with Eclipse, programming-wise, because of how you can't create anything new to it without having to edit hundreds of other bits and bobs. It's so messed up for a starter… If Eclipse 2.0 isn't so messy, though... Might be what I'm looking for.

+1 Sekaru. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)