Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help on Updater.

Lavos

Seems like no one here doesn't have a decent vb6 updater to share anymore so I decided to make one. Hopefull this site still has some vb6 users lurking around to help me.

What I'm trying to do is have a progress bar work upon downloading files from the web. I'm using Inet functions just so you know. 

https://gyazo.com/ca22e13e74a9903aed260cc50a490aa1

I do have teamviewer if you're wondering, you could shoot me up a pm with your discord ID or skype if you want to go that route. A pseudo code would appreciated too!

@'Slasheree':

> First hit on google seems to do exactly what you need: [http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?311040-Download-File-Using-Inet-With-Progress-Bar](http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?311040-Download-File-Using-Inet-With-Progress-Bar)
>
>
> >! y u no google !?

I've googled that same exact link before. The thing is that that guy uses microsoftcontrols 5.0 where i decided to build mine from using shapes. It's far different than what I had in mind.

@'Slasheree':

> @'Lavos':
>
> > that guy uses microsoftcontrols 5.0 where i decided to build mine from using shapes.
>
> what do you mean by that ? the progress bars and such ?

im trying to use inet.getchuck function to work with the progression for a custom made progressbar. I'm hoping someone here would figure it out before I do. It seems all the programmers for eclipse have moved on to something else.

Then it's just like in that guys code, your "custom made progress bar" has to have a width property somewhere, all you have to do is:

If you want current file progress then:

onDownloadChuck(){
.width = (Round((BytesReceivedOnThisChuckDownload / FileLength) * 100)) //to give value between 0-100
}

If you want whole download progress you'll have to check the full size of the download he needs and change FileLength to WholeThingLength

@'Slasheree':

> Then it's just like in that guys code, your "custom made progress bar" has to have a width property somewhere, all you have to do is:
>
> If you want current file progress then:
>
> onDownloadChuck(){
>      .width = (Round((BytesReceivedOnThisChuckDownload / FileLength) * 100)) //to give value between 0-100
> }
>
> If you want whole download progress you'll have to check the full size of the download he needs and change FileLength to WholeThingLength

it looks like im having issues with getting inet.openurl() and inet.chunk() functions to work together, then i made this code for the chunk below:
```
Private Sub DownloadFile(ByVal URL As String, ByVal Filename As String)

Dim FileBytes()   As Byte
   Dim FileNum       As Integer
   Dim BytesRecieved As Long
   Dim FileLength    As Long
   Dim StrHeader     As String

Const CHUNK_SIZE     As Long = 1024

DoEvents

With frmMain.inetDownload
       .URL = URL
       .Execute , "GET", , "Range: Bytes=" & CStr(BytesRecieved) & "-" & vbCrLf

While .StillExecuting

DoEvents

Wend

End With

StrHeader = frmMain.inetDownload.GetHeader("Content-Length")
   FileLength = Val(StrHeader)
   DoEvents

BytesRecieved = 0

FileNum = FreeFile()

Open Filename For Binary Access Write As #FileNum

Do
       FileBytes() = frmMain.inetDownload.GetChunk(CHUNK_SIZE, icByteArray)
       Put #FileNum, , FileBytes()
       BytesRecieved = BytesRecieved + UBound(FileBytes, 1) + 1
       DownloadProgress (Round((BytesRecieved / FileLength) * 100))
       DoEvents
   Loop While UBound(FileBytes, 1) > 0

Close #FileNum

Exit Sub

End Sub

Private Sub DownloadProgress(ByVal Percentage As String)
   frmMain.shpProgressfill.Width = Percentage
End Sub
```
Its still a work in progress, i've never worked with inet before so i've been fiddling with things around it.

@'Lavos':

> im having issues with getting inet.openurl() and inet.chunk() functions

1- To test the inet.openurl() did you check if the "StrHeader = frmMain.inetDownload.GetHeader("Content-Length")" returned the correct content length ?
2- To test the frmMain.inetDownload.GetChunk(CHUNK_SIZE, icByteArray), do the following only for the first call of GetChuck: check if the bytes received equal the bytes in the actual file, would be wise to create a simple sub here that displays the bytes of a byte array (you can do it anyway you want it), the file bytes could be viewed in some hex editor I think

[EDIT] From MSDN
Remarks

The OpenURL method's return value depends on the target of the URL. For example, if the target URL is the directory of an FTP server, the directory will be returned. On the other hand, if the target is a file, the file will be retrieved.

The OpenURL method is equivalent to invoking the Execute method with a GET operation, followed by a GetChunk method invoked in the StateChanged event. The OpenURL method, however, results in a synchronous stream of data being returned from the site.

If you are retrieving a binary file, be sure to use a byte array as a temporary variable before writing it to disk, as shown below: