Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Plugin Engine

azkanan

So, this is my dribble on thoughts for what would be the perfect Eclipse engine - it's less work for the Devs, meaning they don't get bored/disheartened half-way through - and it's more accessible for the community. What is the secret to this? **Plugins**!

The idea is that the Devs simply make a "Central Brain", which contains all the basic requirements for an MMORPG. **Networking, display and basic interactions (Block, Warp attributes / Movement keys)**.

No stats, no admin panel, no anything.

Sounds like a shitty MMO, doesn't it? Well, yes. The idea furthermore from this is that all other modifications to the game are **plugins** or better known as, **Mods**.

The devs can then release other bits and bobs as "Essential Mods" or "Official Mods" - such as the admin panel, map editor, stats, NPCs and so forth.

All other mods are made by the community… The programming side of this is way over my head, but I've posted this thread for that to be open to discussion. This system allows for players to **choose** how "typical RPG" their game is. Stats are out of the base engine so that players can choose what they want those stats to be.

Making an intuitive, community-driven, self-evolving Engine would be the future to Eclipse, in my eyes.

This has already been thought of and debated on pretty extensively by multiple people, and it was decided that the scope of this is well outside what members of this community can do with VB6\. To be honest this has circulated for close to a decade, originating from back when Shannara was working on Mirage Online.

>Scope of this is well outside what members of this community can do with VB6.

Because their current options would be any different? Many rely on tutorials and released code from programmers. This system allows for easier implimentation, less messy engine code and greater customization.

> >Scope of this is well outside what members of this community can do with VB6.
>
> Because their current options would be any different? Many rely on tutorials and released code from programmers. This system allows for easier implimentation, less messy engine code and greater customization.

No idea what you're rambling about. You may have missed the point. Your idea is solid, and it's already been thought of. The problem is writing an engine to handle the plugins, and no one has been able to accomplish it thus far; it's been debated on for about a decade, and it's been attempted numerous times as well (scripting was the result and look where that is now).

Yes, this is possible. I actually put it forward as one of the first things to do in the new engine. It would involve mostly Object-Orientated programming which would mean reteaching the community certain methods and leaving behind all the bad habits learnt over the years which is a fairly hard thing to do.

A plugin system sounds great but actually all it is is putting a load of code in one class and then only calling certain procedures from it. It's the same thing as a tutorial but it's only easier in the sense that you only need to add a class into your project and add the procedures that need to be called.

• 2 weeks later...