Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm New/Back/Leaving!

Pickle

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure either, been around since Mirage's beginning as well. On one side I'm glad some of us are still around.. And on the other I'm quite happy it's nearing it's end, to be honest the days of drunk and high kids(for the most part) dawdling about code should be over. And VB6 is getting worse with every OS's release.(Takes half a minute to load up a simple application on Windows 8\. Ugh).. So maybe it is better in the end that we move on.. Perhaps soon we'll move on with different languages, but so far this is the only engine that still seems to continue on. Albeit slowly.

/incoherent rant of tiredness

> oooh, finally some otherone that is interested in going to .Net.
>
> please tell me your not doing it in C# >.<
>
> welcome mate ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)
>
> Dami

I actually wish I was moving to C#, and I most likely will at some point in time since the transition isn't nearly as difficult after you've gotten the hang of OOP.

@Stein, I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't broken VB6; support for it stopped at XP Service Pack 1 / the big .NET release, didn't it? As for this engine, they are a dime a dozen. I think for the community to continue on as a whole it'll need to evolve past VB6 and 2D. A majority of the Mirage Source community has always been people with no programming experience; this leaves to question how many developers started out their programming "career" as code monkeys trying to fix problems they have no idea how to fix.

> Hey there, welcome back ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)
>
> I joined a while ago but am yet to post, so consider this my first post as-well :3

Thanks, and to you too. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> I think for the community to continue on as a whole it'll need to evolve past VB6 and 2D..

2D has nothing to do with it. Tons of great 2D indie games are in the mainstream at the moment, including Terraria, one of the most successful indie games ever.

What's going to save us in the future is Java. As much as I absolutely hate the language, everyone learns it in their Computer Science classes nowadays. Java games can also be played in a browser, which makes it easy for people to test games and see the engine in action. The people we are trying to attract to this community are 12 year olds. Remember that they don't really give a shit about performance or language, but rather accessibility and ease of use. Java provides that.

> 2D has nothing to do with it. Tons of great 2D indie games are in the mainstream at the moment, including Terraria, one of the most successful indie games ever.
>
> What's going to save us in the future is Java. As much as I absolutely hate the language, everyone learns it in their Computer Science classes nowadays. Java games can also be played in a browser, which makes it easy for people to test games and see the engine in action. The people we are trying to attract to this community are 12 year olds. Remember that they don't really give a bum candy about performance or language, but rather accessibility and ease of use. Java provides that.

We are taught with c++. Java is offered, however I believe many colleges use c++ or c to teach their classes.

> 2D has nothing to do with it. Tons of great 2D indie games are in the mainstream at the moment, including Terraria, one of the most successful indie games ever.
>
> What's going to save us in the future is Java. As much as I absolutely hate the language, everyone learns it in their Computer Science classes nowadays. Java games can also be played in a browser, which makes it easy for people to test games and see the engine in action. The people we are trying to attract to this community are 12 year olds. Remember that they don't really give a bum candy about performance or language, but rather accessibility and ease of use. Java provides that.

Java doesn't provide ease of use when the syntax is far more difficult to understand and master than VB .NET, and requires the equivalent of one or more college level courses to utilize it properly. Finding a compiler and relevant sources and other material to use with that compiler will be far more difficult than a widely accepted and supported solution such as Visual Studio Express.

Sounds to me like you have two market segments and not just one. You cannot say that you're trying to attract teenagers when full customization of your product requires a college level education to implement. I could probably write you guys a very extensive marketing strategy plan to implement for two market segments, but that would require you to pay me a large sum of money that would be consistent with the amount of time spent using various research methods (quasi-experimental/qualitative, ,possibly even longitudinal or cross-sectional experimental) to confirm associations, relationships, or other factors that would produce verifiable results.

Anywho.

Doing something for the hell of it and having kids join it is far from something you need complicated bullcrap for and a marketing plan. You just do it. It's always been that way here. ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

Anyway, you seem very intent on using VB.NET, why not start it yourself since all projects here are based on C# or lower level languages.

> Doing something for the hell of it and having kids join it is far from something you need complicated bullcrap for and a marketing plan. You just do it. It's always been that way here. ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)
>
> Anyway, you seem very intent on using VB.NET, why not start it yourself since all projects here are based on C# or lower level languages.

Point 1: It's the way he made the statement. "We're trying to attract 12 year old's." means that he is actively engaging in marketing a product (Eclipse) to a particular market segment (12 year old's). All about context.

Point 2: Start what? An Eclipse engine? Nah. I have my own project(s). As for C#, I may eventually port my own projects over to it but with the sole purpose of just having the experience. Otherwise, I'm just here for the community and people with like-minds.

Let me say that I have nothing against Eclipse or the use of VB6\. I've been with it or around it for far too long to put it down; I simply dislike being contradictory or hypocritical. I just think that, like you said, development is slow and it's being done in an obsolete language with obsolete libraries, and since it is obsolete the people who are learning the language are going to be very disappointed and confused come time to move on to the .NET framework and OOP; they're going to have to relearn everything from scratch.

Uhm not like you guys care about me, but i quit (medical problems)

Take care and have a nice life.

I really appreciate what you guys did for me, i really need to thank:

Ryoku - for being such a nice person and helping me

Erwin - for helping me, sorry tough if i disappointed you.

Spikey - for being a drunkard , a great admin and helping me.

Mortal Angel - for being so nice with me.

General General General General General Pony - for creating Schlong man

crzy the hated the hated the hated the hated (My Master Satan) - for letting me be your sexx slave,and friend.

Agoraphobic- for always saying "hi" to me.

Symphony - for being my best friend, i miss you.

Zopto - for being such a nice friend.

Deathbeam - for your custom version.

Captain Anosora - for being a nice friend,sorry for everything.

Weeam - for adding me in old Team Weeam.

Richy - for helping me.

Murdoc - for being a nice guy

Robin - for banning me, and for this engine.

Marshy - for unbanning me and for keeping this site up.

And THANK you all for being nice with me.

Those who insulted and hates me, what can i say, uhm i wish them the same toughts.

If i forgot someone, i'm sorry ^^

Anyhow this is my last day here.

hello everyone i am leaving now…I have been here for about a year, it's been a great one too until i finally realized how much the site sucks ass....The site in general just sucks, the admins don't do their job correctly, neither does the developer most of the time...the support in this site sucks more than my gf, and to top it off, even MY staff is better and they are just newbs at being staff! come on ur adults, u've been a staff longer then my staff have! DAFUQ IS THAT!? anyways...yea....

**Final Resolution**

um..if i had anything left to say, it would be…follow your heart, do what you love..if you use this engine, it will only ause you to love it due to the easiness of the language but sooner or later you will realize just how much it sucks...

**Goodbye**

Goodbye, hope this engine actually becomes better instead of staying in the same old vb6 shitty language and then just upgrading it little by little…ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!!!!don't just sit back while you watch the engine goto waste, actually make it better, change the language! don't use fukin vb6 anymore!!!!

Sincerely,

Growlith1223, Grim Reaper, ZeroX8, Colonel P'ony